Author Topic: Outdoor litter boxes?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Outdoor litter boxes?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 20:13:14 PM »
Mine have what looks like a kennel on the ouside of the catflap (into their run). The idea was that the litter trays went in there, so they are outside but the cats don't have to go out into bad weather to use them. It's a great idea in theory but I've still ended up with trays in the house since the new lad came, he doesn't do cat flaps, or indeed outside!

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 13:55:42 PM »
Thanks! To be honest I think it's a security thing. She came to us as a soiling cat and her owners had tried everything to stop it, but they had gotten kittens, moved house and had kids in the space of two years and Katie just got super stressed! I am proud to say that she has never soiled here!

I think i'd better keep the status quo and not upset her. I use either Catsan or Morrison's own antibacterial stuff (which is cheaper and really good). The litter doesn't actually smell, it's just that when people are here, she always chooses that time to start scrabbling around, and then comes the smell of a fresh poo!!! Ho hum never mind!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 21:38:35 PM »
Not much good then :-:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 17:13:34 PM »
Wouldnt be waterproof  ;)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 15:56:45 PM »
Argos sell covered litter trays with a flap entrance for £12.99

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 15:18:25 PM »
So if they have one outside, they just go out and do their business there?

My cat will only use a litter tray inside as she is picky like that - how would I go about getting her used to going to an outdoor one, if she won't go in the soil? I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully done this as I have to say that the litter tray smell sometimes does my head in!

What litter are you using?
I have different types to encourage them to use it, the smells annoying but i know whats comming out then  ;D
When taffy got cancer the first sign was a runny tummy  :(

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
As Catjane said, going inside could be a security thing and you don't want to upset her by taking away the place she feels comfortable. I'd say go ahead and try an outdoor tray but also keep the indoor one.
Good luck  :)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:18:54 AM »
I'd be quite wary about providing an outdoor litterbox.  If she won't go in the soil it might not be so much to do with the soil per se but could be that she feels vulnerable doing her business where she is 'exposed' so to speak!  She might not feel safe if, for example, if there's a local cat who she perceives as a threat.  So rather than solving a problem it could compound an existing one (and could potentially result in little 'accidents' in your home). Your home is your cat's sanctuary! (Please ignore me if she has a run rather than free access).

The smell can be combatted by choosing an 'anti-smell'  litter, cleaning it out regularly (although that doesn't always fix the problem!), and by providing a covered litterbox indoors.  The last has the added bonus of preventing scattered litter all over the floor!  However, wherever you choose to put a covered litter, remember that your cat can smell it more keenly than you can, and litter hygeine will need to be scrupulously observed since the cat gets all the smell in one confined space and might be discouraged from using it.  Have you tried making the litter deeper than recommended?  I find this helps, as they then dig deeper and bury their doings deeper!  (Makes the scattered litter worse, though!)

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
Might be better to wait until the weather settles though

although you'd think given the current weather going into a box would be preferably than having the wind/hail/rain blowing up ones           
a$%e  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »
Adele, I would use the same approach as I would use if I was moving the litter tray in the house, Move it a foot or two in the direction of final location every couple of days. Might be better to wait until the weather settles though ...

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:30:56 AM »
If a cat has free range access I'm not sure it would always use an outdoor tray  :shify:   I didnt know you got specific ones for outdoor though, i may look into that myself for the big boys run  :)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 15:52:00 PM »
So if they have one outside, they just go out and do their business there?

My cat will only use a litter tray inside as she is picky like that - how would I go about getting her used to going to an outdoor one, if she won't go in the soil? I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully done this as I have to say that the litter tray smell sometimes does my head in!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
They do 2 kinds - a basic one with a lid and a premium one with a cat flap on. Very good quality, Italian made  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »
Hi  :welcome:

Yes you can get outdoor litter trays.  I think I've seen them at pets at home?  They are covered and the entrance has a bit of an overhang to prevent rain from getting in.  Not sure if they still sell them but I'd take a look there if you have a PAH near you.

Offline AliRib

• Kitten
Outdoor litter boxes?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »
Dear All

Can you get an outside litter tray for cats (i.e.a covered one?)

any any ideas where from, or which might be the best?

Thanks
AliRib
x

Link to CatChat