Author Topic: Did I do the right thing (RTA - upsetting)  (Read 2977 times)

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
Re: Did I do the right thing (RTA - upsetting)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 13:37:31 PM »
What you did was wonderful, although very upsetting to yourself. and of course the owners.

I lost a cat recently to an RTA, and the driver never stopped, it took 24 hrs until we found our baby and we just have to  hope he did not suffer too long. The not knowing was (and still is) awful.

At least the owners know their cat was not there suffereing and was treated with respect.

Well done, for your act of kindness. :thanks:

XX

RIP little cat.

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
You definitely did the right thing.

We have lost two furbabes to RTA's and one of them, our gorgeous Herbie who was less than a year old, we found in the middle of the road opposite our house. We would have appreciated a call on the phone or a knock at the door - his collar was clearly marked with our details, but instead we don't know how long he lay there suffering before he died.

Our other beautiful furbabe, Hebe, was knocked down (and died in my arms) after she followed me across the road to the shops. I hadn't realised she was behind me and came out of the shop to find a very distressed young girl who had hit her and who had the consideration and kindness to stop, as well as several other passers by who were administering to poor Hebe. The young girl (only about 18) even offered to take us to an emergency vet as I was on my own and had no access to our car that day (it was a sunday morning, OH was out and although there was a vet in the same road - not ours though - it was of course closed) but it was too late and Hebe died moments later.

The kindness of these complete strangers was most appreciated and despite us not being able to do anything for Hebe, it highlighted that there are still good samaritans (like yourself) about!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:51:02 AM »
100% you did the right thing - bless you

I have had 2 of mine left in the middle of the road (one i found and had to pick up -  and the other one my neighbour found)

I now always stop if i see a cat in the road or even at the side of the road.

R.I.P little cat

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:47:34 AM »
Aww, big hugs for you, it must have been an awful experience, but thanks to you, that cats owners have some closure now, and now exactly what has happened to their little babe. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »
What you did, Fluffybunny, was not only the right thing, it took courage.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 11:00:27 AM »
mu (must admit I was wondering if I found the owner, would they just think that I'd done it??)

I think you did absolutely the right thing however, the above quote is exactly what someone thought when our van clearly marked Cats Protection stopped in a road to see to a cat lying in the road., next thing the estate was full of rumours that CP had run over a cat
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »
You most definately did do the right thing and God bless you for stopping and helping ... how many other people (including the driver that hit the cat) carried on without a second thought.

:hug: to you I'm sure the owner will be extremely grateful to you.

RIP little kitty play hard at the bridge. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:07:44 AM »
Absolutely the right thing to do.  I know I would have appreciated it, and I've done the same myself when a neighbour's cat was hit and killed just yards from me at our old house.  The driver didn't stop, but at least the owner managed to hold his cat while she slipped away, and he said that was a huge comfort.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:23:44 AM »
Definately the right thing and though heartbraking for the owners, when they reflect they will thank you for your kindness.

RIP little cat, play hard on the Bridge.

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 22:33:55 PM »
Hi, you definitely did the right thing, I wish the person who hit my Toffee and the people who drove past her on the road while she was still alive had been as kind and caring as you. Instead she was left until RSPCA collected her. Im sure the people who the poor little furbabe belongs to will be so grateful to you. If more people did what you have done there would be less heartache for those of us wondering what has happened to our babys.

RIP little furbabe and  :hug: to you fluffy for what you did.

Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 21:41:02 PM »
You did a wonderful thing tonight let me assure you.  I lost my furbabe Ellie in an RTA last year and the driver left her on the road.  One of my neighbours found her and lifted her into their garden and then came and told us.  Whilst I was absolutely gutted, I was so grateful to them for their kindness and will never forget this.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 21:40:13 PM »
Yes you did do the right thing.

Its better that than nothing at all and the poor owners wondering where their furrbabe was.  ITs a good heart you have to have done that, so don't beat yourself up about it.

RIP little one. x

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Did I do the right thing (RTA - upsetting)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 21:27:57 PM »
I was driving home from work last night when I came across a cat at the side of the road, it had clearly been hit by a car.  I drove past and carried on going home, but couldn't stop thinking about the poor thing - maybe it was still alive, but in any case, I know that as a cat owner myself, I would rather know what had happened to my cat, than for it to be cleaned up by the street sweepers in the morning and not to know what had  happened.

So anyway, I went back and had a look.  Sadly, it was clearly dead, and although it had a collar, there was no name/number on it.  This was on a small bypass with a housing estate backing onto the road and by the location it must have come from over there.  I went and knocked on a few houses (must admit I was wondering if I found the owner, would they just think that I'd done it??) and eventually found someone who pointed me to a house which had several cats.  It wasn't theirs, but the family thought they knew from the description whose cat it was. The chap went over to the road to see it, saw that it was the one they thought, and rang the owner who was a friend of his, who came to collect it.

I feel really sad that their cat had died, but sort of happy that at least the owners knew, and also fairly fortuitous that I stumbled across their friends, I suspect the bad news was better coming from their friends, than from a random stranger.  I think if I were them, I'd rather know, so I think I did the right thing, although I do feel really bad that they might not have been able to handle the news.   I felt sad all evening  :(

Link to CatChat