Author Topic: Giving tablets...how?!  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Re: Giving tablets...how?!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 00:31:52 AM »
Glad the cheese worked  :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 23:58:04 PM »
Sure.  :innocent:
There's one on my first post here: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12613.msg214731.html#msg214731
but i'll dig out that specific picture soon...

thanks for that -
They are so lovely, the tabby babies are to die for and Mum aint bad either  :evillaugh:
xxx

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
    • The Pet Extraordinarium
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 15:12:43 PM »
Sure.  :innocent:
There's one on my first post here: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12613.msg214731.html#msg214731
but i'll dig out that specific picture soon...
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!
The Extraordinary Pet Blog - http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 15:01:21 PM »
Can we see your picture bigger please ?

Your babies look so lovely so could you post it on here

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 14:53:47 PM »
Cheese.
That's all I'm saying: cheese.

Thanks to those of you that suggested the 'cheese' approach. She wolfed the pill down. In fact, I think she'd have gladly eaten her brother if he'd been wrapped in cheese...  ;D
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 17:05:34 PM »
Muppet and Guinness will eat their worm tablets in a wee bit of cheese. Widget and Rascal I have to hold, open their mouths, pop the tablet down the back of the throat, gently hold their mouth closed while stroking their throats. Luckily these two are very well behaved  :) there is NO way I could get near Guinness like that  :-[ It's a two person and a towel job to clip his nails  :scared:  :evillaugh:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 16:44:23 PM »
I do the "between the legs" routine like Lilly although i dont use the towel.

I am also lucky that my vet will give me injections to take home if i want to do it that way, but now the long lasting jab is avalible its better

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 15:53:05 PM »
I wish it did with my lot Gillian, they always manage to get the ham off and leave the pill!  same with cheese, little wotsits!

Usually get a crowd round me if I so much as move the pack of ham from the fridge to the worktop LOL! (especially if its Joe - he'd have me fingers off for ham!)  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 15:15:27 PM »
I wish it did with my lot Gillian, they always manage to get the ham off and leave the pill!  same with cheese, little wotsits!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 15:10:56 PM »
Wafer thin ham - works every time with my lot!  ;D

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 13:43:13 PM »
My Lily is on antibiotics too, this is how I give her pills:

1. Catch her and wrap in a towel.
2. Kneel down and lodge her between my knees so she's facing away from me.
3. Put thumb and forefinger of left hand (I'm right handed) either side of her jaw (rest of hand around her head) and squeeze gently whilst tilting her head up.  This will make her open her mouth slightly.
4. Get pill in right hand, shove second finger inbetween her teeth (not the pointy ones, the ones in the middle) to open her mouth more pressing gently down to open her jaw.
5. Drop pill towards the back of the tongue (might take a few goes).
6. Hold mouth loosly closed, head still tilted back until she swallows (tongue comes out slightly when she does).
7. Open mouth again to check pill has disappeared.
8. It might take a while for her to swallow but you can help her by stroking her throat downwards.
9. Release cat, check she doesn't spit it out and give her some food.

It takes some practise and it does help if someone else holds her.  If all else fails, I cut up her chewy stick like treats, put a small incision into one and put the pill in that.

Good luck!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 13:42:15 PM »
I'm having the same problem with Becky, I get ripped to shreds everytime I try and give her anything  :sneaky:  She can't have the injections as she comes up in a big lump with a huge scab on it so I've now resorted to Synolux palatable drops, still get scratched but don't get bit now  :evillaugh:

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 13:19:15 PM »
Some good suggestions there! Maybe the cheese is a good way to go as they always try and nick ours when we've got some. Not sure about the chicken skin though... :sick:
(And Michelle's a veggie, so no chance there!) I'll try it later when it's time for the next installment!

She's not wearing a cone, no. We did get one but she just freaked out. Although I have to say, and if you've ever pet a cone on you might have seen this - it was HILARIOUS watching her walking backwards trying to get out of it! She was moonwalking like Michael Jackson for a couple of minutes!  :rofl: :rofl: We were wetting ourselves!
No point in the cone now though, as there are no stitches left! She's been glued up but there's still an open bit (  :sick: ) that the vet didn't to close just yet in case an infection had got in (he didn;t want to close it in, if you see what I mean) - hence the anitbiotics until it heals in a couple of days.

Will report back later...once I've unbandaged my hand! That HURT...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:37:15 PM »
I was at vet on Monday with Misa and the vet said "I will give you some antibiotics", I looked at him innocently, well maybe horrified and said "You will give me some antibiotics?"

He said "Ok I will give him and injection"   :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »
I find chicken skin either raw or cooked a good one. It's the only thing that works with clapton now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:37:39 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
Cream cheese
Butter
Fish paste
Pill pockets
Cubes of raw meat
Crushed in milk (depends if pill is coated or not)

Good luck  :evillaugh: if all else fails ask your vet if she could have an injection instead

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »
I often find wrapping the tablet in a bit of cheese is a good way of making them eat them.  Get a few bits with no tablet so they think its a treat, then put the tablet one in between them so they don't suspect  :evillaugh:

I've tried cream cheese, but always find a soggy tablet left on my finger when all the cheese has been licked off  :tired:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
Some antibiotics are palatable and she may just eat it off your hand - I struggled with Kylie once, trying pillgivers etc and in the end, she just ate it off the floor. If you are giving a pill, make sure they eat or drink something straight afterwards as pills can get lodged and cause damage.\

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12212.0.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:17:25 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »
Ouch! Sounds like you may have to wrap her up in a towel! Is she wearing a cone to keep her off her stitches....I always keep them on for the females.....after maybe 5/6 days I take them off.....took my Lola back to get her stitches out before....vet said she had already done it herself  :Crazy: So I thanked him for nothing!  :rofl:

It may be a two person job for the tablet too! Good Luck!  ;)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »
Can they be crushed in her food?  If not have managed to get them down by dipping them in either Philadelophia or Dairy Lea.  Best of luck it can be a nightmare

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
Giving tablets...how?!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »
Anyone know the best way to give your cat tablets? Lilly's on antibiotics as she managed to pick her stitches after she was spayed on Monday. The vet did it in about a second flat, but I just nearly had my hand ripped open! Not joking either....had to prize a claw out of my thumb...   :Crazy:

Tried Natures Menu treats, which she adores, but she ate the treat and spat out the tablet!  :shy:  Then tried the vet's way of holding her and dropping it in her mouth...after 3 goes where she spat it out, that's when she nealy tore my hand open!!

Ideas? PLEASE??!! Save my hands...

Link to CatChat