Author Topic: Good home available in Lincolnshire - UPDATE :)  (Read 14301 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Good home available in Lincolnshire - UPDATE :)
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 14:27:30 PM »
The pictures gone! How are things going with your two?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
Glad she is settling better
Please spay your cat

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »
Hello - really pleased to hear that she is settling in better. I am a little surprised that they didn't tell you about her food preference when you adopted her, though - could have saved a bit of hassle!

We'd love to see some pics  . . . .!

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 07:49:52 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, she has settled now, she is a happy cat and even tolerating Moe. When the guy called round from The Ark he told us she ate very little meat and preferred go-cat biscuits which we had not tried her on so we got some and she was soon tucking in purring.
So a happy ending here after all. Will put some pics on later xx

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 17:58:58 PM »
Fingers crossed, it will take time for her to settle and if she has sight issues, and you approach her from her 'bad' side, she wont be able to see you and it will unsettle her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 16:46:35 PM »
Hi - it's been a couple of days and I was wondering how you are all getting on - has she settled in any better?

I would echo what Milly's Mum says; do you have the space to give her her own room or space in the house that is just for her? As she has spent such a long time in the cattery, she is probably not used to be in a house with people dedicated just to her. It is probably all a little confusing; no doubt for you all!

We are just about to adopt our 5th and 6th rescue cats. Whenever we have brought new cats into the household, we have kept them in the spare room for about a week (at least, depending on their known previous experiences and what their characters are like.) Cats number 3 & 4 came as a pair, to live with our existing cat. We put them in the spare room with litter tray, food bowls and beds/blankets and went in to spend time with them; usually just to read or use the computer or chat to them - luckily, they were very friendly and sociable cats and would come to us straight away which meant that we were able to get covered in their smell and tickle them under the chin (scenting area, apparently.) Then, we would leave the room and go straight to our other cat and tickler HER under the chin, therefore exchanging the scent. She would smell our clothes quite intently. We also used to swap blankets between the cats so they got used to one another's smell - and by the time they were finally introduced to one another, apart from some hissing on our older cat's behalf, they were fine.

It was a different story when we introduced cat number 2 to cat number 1 - when she arrived with us, we put her in the spare room where she hid under the bed for 2 weeks. I would go in and lie on the floor and talk to her but not make any attempt to stroke her - she eventually came out under her own steam and sat a little away from me - the distance decreased day by day (it took her 11 years to actually come and sit voluntarily on our knees, although she would sit incredibly close right next to you more readily.) I also used to hand feed her little bits of chicken and just sit and chat for hours so that she got used to me. It took a lot of patience!

I would also recommend the use of Feliway -  we used the room diffuser and had no problems. It's not cheap but it might be worth a shot given your little cat's background. BTW, it specifically states on our pet insurance that Feliway is NOT reclaimable, by the way . . .

I am really hoping that you are all fine and that she has realised that you are doing all you can to improve the quality of her life . . .  it might just take a little while for her to appreciate this. Please let us know how you are getting on . . . . .

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »
I would set her up in one room that can be hers, when they spend so much time in a small pen they get so used to it (institutionalised basically) that when they finally get homed the space is too much for them.
I would also use a feliway plug in in her room to help settle her.

Visit her regularly and sit on the floor and read a book or whatever and ignore her, let her come to you when shes ready.

I dont know what advice the rescue gave you but please dont let her out until she is fully bonded to you and your home, be that 4 weeks or 4 months.

Weigh her dry food so you know whats going, may be more than you think! Are you offering the same grub as the rescue?

If she is partially sighted are you approaching her from the side she can see from?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 21:39:20 PM »
I would try to keep the two of them completely separate at the moment and make sure the newbie has  places she can hide. Give Moe lots of attention so she knows that she is still loved but I think at moment its best for the new cat to have her own space where she can settle before having to deal with Moe.

In the mean time Moe can get use to the smell of the new cat on your hands and around the house.........it just needs time  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 21:33:47 PM »
Kay, don't fret. All cats are different. I had one who refused to come out from behind the furniture for two weeks. She finally settled in really well. Your poor wee girl has had a lot to cope with, and heaven knows what her experiences were with humans before she found you. Give her time, let her come to you rather than trying to be with her. When she does come to you, don't try to stroke her, just let her know she is welcome and allow her to come to terms with her new paradise on earth. :hug:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 21:28:05 PM »
Sometimes they need a few days to just settle in and get used to the new place without too many disruptions.

Have a look at the Wizz site and keep your Moe away from the newbie for a bit. Let her get used to everything first.

When we brought Smoke home she was happy around us but terrified of our other cat and freaked more than once around her, so after the first day I confined Smoke to our library with everything she needed and went in a few times a day to give her fuss. Once she was confident I started letting her out and opening the door, staying near incase there was a problem.

Time & treats might be the best way forward. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 20:27:24 PM »
Well it is only wednesday but she is not a happy cat. One minute she can be sitting purring and the next she is hissing and growling. She has still hardly eaten a thing and she has made Moe terrified to come into the front room. She has scratched us all and bitten hubby. She will come for a stroke one minute then turn the next. She wont even let moe sit on his bed let alone anywhere else.
Things are not going well so far.  :'(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 21:45:37 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: Congratulations on your new arrival ... Sally is gorgeous.

Not sure if you have already been pointed twoards Wizz's site but there is loads of really good advice on "new cats", aggression and multicat households.

http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 20:31:15 PM »
Yep shes got a clean tray of her own in the front room, not ideal but she likes it in here. I suppose she can only hold it so long. x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 20:27:24 PM »
Its normal for them to cross their legs initially, she may be less grumpy once shes had a wee  ;D does she have a new tray within easy access? she may not fancy weeing in a tray that smells of Moe.

18months is a long time to be in rescue so it must be alot for her to take in. I personally wouldt try to further introduce Moe until she has settled down, its alot for her to grasp without adding being watched by the house owner  :shy:

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 20:16:39 PM »
Well she has a bad squint, and one of her eyes is really clouded I think she is partially sighted if not blind in one eye. I think she was there for so long as everyone wants kittens. We have allowed her and moe to be in the same room today. Moe is curious (and not at all impressed that she is sitting on his activity centre!) but he is keeping a distance. Sally is still growling at us all, espcially moe.
I am a little worried as she has not used the litter tray at all yet, and she has eaten very little.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 20:17:22 PM by Kay »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 19:14:59 PM »
Well done on picking a cat who had been overlooked for so long, what traits does she have to have made that happen? Probably nothing, people can be so picky  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 23:44:36 PM »
Shes is lovely and its only time she needs  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 23:37:53 PM »
What a beautiful girl, am so pleased for her and for you  :)  It must be really scary for her at the moment, I'm sure she'll settle down soon enough.

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 23:31:44 PM »
She has finally settled down. Still jumpy and a little grouchy but she is starting to resmble the happy cat I saw at The Ark.
A couple of pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 22:22:20 PM »
I am sure she will work out just fine when she has learnt that nobody will hurtv her and that this is her new home forever.

It must be so strange for her and I would take notice of the warnings that she is giving and stop stroking before she resorts to violence  ;D

She will need places to hide and be quiet and call her own, just give her space and time  :hug:

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 20:30:42 PM »
Thank you so much for that, we are trying to maintain the right balance of leaving her be without neglecting her, it is still so early so hopefully we will see a change. I feel better for reading your post though. x  :thanks:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 20:26:39 PM »
kay I fostered a cat who spent her first three days actively stalking and attacking me - by the end of the week she was such a purr puss you would never believe it of her. It is a way of dealing with all the awful things that have happened - if she has never known affection she will not know how to deal with it appropriately. So just leave her be and let her come to you. After a few days she will settle down and you will forget everything but the scars ...

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 20:03:49 PM »
Basil was so lovely and miawing alot for attention, they are getting him checked by the vet for kidney disease before they re-home him.

Sally is still growing at everyone and has lashed out and drawn blood when my hubby was stroking her. Hopefully she will settle soon as shes being quite scary. She has eaten a little bit of food and is sprawled out on my sons bed, hope she moves soon as we are all too scared to move her and he will have to get into bed!  :scared:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 19:57:55 PM »
Wow - fantastic - quick work! I'm so pleased that you found another great cat!

I clicked on the link and immediately got tearful when I saw Basil the bedragggled black Persian.    :'(  I am sure one day that I will open a home for abandoned floof-balls . . . .  but just keep them all and be known as the local mad cat woman.  . . . .. )

For the time being, though, I have to concentrate on picking up my two new adopted 'sons' next week - I shall have ginger floof to add to all my clothing now   :briggin:

Congratulations on your addition and good luck!!

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 18:51:24 PM »
I'm so pleased too! Although at the moment she is sat growling at anyone who looks at her but it is all new to her and must be quite traumatic after being at The Ark for so long, she was a different cat there really friendly but of course she is in a strange house and can smell Moe. I suppose it will take time! x

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 18:42:38 PM »
I am very please that that Purrs and this Forum have assisted you in adopting Sally.. Its so nice to hear some happy ending!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 18:22:11 PM »
what a sweetie - and lovely markings. Well done you - she should settle in just fine  :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 15:07:58 PM »
she's lovely - that was quick work!!!

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
Re: Good home available in Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 15:06:15 PM »
We have just adopted Sally. http://beehive.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=12543&PageID=76355

It is still early and she is sitting on my sons bed wathcing tv with him at the moment but we are keeping out fingers crossed that in time sally and moe will become friends.
She had been at the shelter for a year and a half.

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
Just rang the Ark and spoke to a lovely lady who I am going to see at 1.30 today. I have a good feeling about this.  I have seen a lovely cat who is partially sighted called Billy but who knows who I will fall in love with when I get there.  :Luv2:

(Hope it is not like when I visited a dog shelter, fell in love with evry dog there, cried my eyes out and went home dogless and was traumatised for days lol)  :-[

Thanks Gill!

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 07:11:54 AM »
All apart from The Ark who I will be ringing today, thanks! x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 23:51:23 PM »
Have you tried any of these

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lincs.html

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 23:22:10 PM »
I'm now in North Wales but I'll have a look later to see how far I am.  I can't understand some rescues not rehoming out of area, most of mine go out of area otherwise some would miss out on the perfect home, so it's got to be worth it   :shy:

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 23:15:11 PM »
Male or Female, doesnt matter at all i'm sure Moe would just be happy for the company and we would love it either way! Mablethorpe is an hour from Boston so not too far, did ring our local cpl but they never got back to me so assumed they did not have any at the time but they have my number, also called skegness cpl but they do not cover mablethorpe. Rang a few other rescue centres Grimbsy, Lincoln but they also do not cover Mablethorpe.    :'(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 23:00:19 PM »
Have you checked out the rescues in your area?  It's a shame you aren't closer, not sure how far Mablethorpe is from me but I used to live in Boston years ago and had some friends there and used to visit quite a lot.  I do rehome out of area but I'm fairly busy at the moment so can't guarantee anything  :shy: Is it male or female you're looking for or doesn't that matter?   Hopefully you'll find your new addition soon  :hug:

Offline Kay

• Adult Cat
Good home available in Lincolnshire - UPDATE :)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 21:23:59 PM »
Hello, i'm a married mother of one teenager and one mackerel tabby and we are looking for one more cat to complete our family.
We live in Mablethorpe Lincolnshire in a fairly quiet street out of town with a big garden.
Hubby works full time and I work 2 days a week so the only time Moe (our beautiful tabby) is home alone is 2 days a week from 8.50 to 3.25. My hubby has just bought a catflap but not got around to fitting it yet. To be honest moe sleeps most of the time during those hours if we are there or not!
Moe is around 10 months old and ideally a new cat would be slighty younger so as not to upset Moe. Of course we would consider any cat at all.
We can travel within reason. An hour or 2 away is fine.
We have not been homechecked but are more than willing to be! ;)
My cat was one that wandered into our home last year and never left! We have since had him neutered, microchipped and vaccinated. We are good loving owners and hubby has just bought him a huge activity centre that takes up a whole corner of the room and when Moe is sitting in it we say 'the king is in his throne'
 :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:22:54 AM by Kay »

Link to CatChat