« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 13:37:16 PM »
Hiya and  :welcome: to PURRS  :)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
Re: newbie
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 22:22:29 PM »
Hi Lisa and   :welcome:  to Purrs

So pleased to hear that you are going to adopt a cat, would you not prefer two?

:luck:

I would love two cats however my partner wasn't brought up in a home that kept any animals so I like to think of it as breaking him in nice and gently (for now!).

Lisa

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 22:19:45 PM »
Hi Lisa &  :welcome: to Purrs

I don't know too much about the homecheck side of things but I just wanted to say you sound like a really thoughtful potential cat owner and I'm sure any cat that came to live with you would have a perfect home  :)

Thank you, that's a nice thing to say.

Lisa

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 22:14:12 PM »
Hi Lisa and   :welcome:  to Purrs

So pleased to hear that you are going to adopt a cat, would you not prefer two?

Cannot really help you out with the homecheck as I have never had one, thank goodness.  However, I do know that there are no hard and fast rules and each person is taken on their merits somebody from one of the cat rescues on here should be able to help you out with that one.

:luck:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 22:10:34 PM »
Hi Lisa &  :welcome: to Purrs

I don't know too much about the homecheck side of things but I just wanted to say you sound like a really thoughtful potential cat owner and I'm sure any cat that came to live with you would have a perfect home  :)

Oh, and I had a clothes fairy when I was younger too.  I was gutted when the clothes fairy disappeared and I had to do it all myself  :evillaugh:

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 22:02:04 PM »
Very warm  :welcome: to you lisa xxx

Thanks.

As I think I have previously mentioned I have grown up with cats in the house amongst other furries, but this will be the 1st time that the responsibility will be all mine.  I have been reading through this forum (and briefly glanced at others) and it seems that great homes for rescue cats are being overlooked for various reasons after a home check.

What can I do to housewise?  I have already looked at the electric wires in the house.  The telephone extension that ran freely around the ouside of the livingroom and hall has been tacked under the laminate floor beading.  The boys tidy their playstation games and contoller wires away after use now (yay- 2 birds with 1 stone). I have cleared all the accumulations in the hallway.  We have a long wide hall that is just a waste of space so clean clothes tend to be deposited there before the clothes fairy :rofl:  takes then upstairs and puts them away.  Will stop this and have thought about placing litter tray here.  In the kitchen I have moved a plastic storage box that I keep bills in waiting to be shredded.  Kitchen looks a bit bigger but it's an ideal spot for food and water bowls.

What are they looking for exactly?

Do the people that come out to do a home check want to see in every room upstairs and down?

I sound over eager but I want to make sure the house is safe before a home visit, I would be disappointed if I missed something and it led to not being accepted to rescue a cat when I have a weeks to do something about it.

It's like 20 questions with me - sorry ;D ;D

Lisa

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 16:13:09 PM »
Very warm  :welcome: to you lisa xxx
Caroline xx

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 21:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  You will be "seeing" more of me in the future!! :shify:

Lisa

Offline FrankNTessa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 21:00:02 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs :naughty:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 21:59:52 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs,

I'm sure you will have a lovely time on here ... we are all very friendly.

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 21:55:12 PM »
Hiya Lisa warm  :welcome: hun  :)

Great to hear you and your family will be cat slaves  ;) :evillaugh:  Sounds like a wonderful home :) 

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 20:03:08 PM »
There were 2 or 3 cats there that had diabetes and receive injections.  That made me think about cats that already had health concerns.  Whilst the funds are there to cope with anything that may happen, I don't know how great I would be at administering injections.  Paws for thoughts anyway, something to ponder.

I have several friends who themselves are diabetic.  The first couple of times you inject the insulin, it is awful: then it becomes routine.  If the most needy cat were a diabetic cat, I would embrace him if it were me  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 19:58:39 PM »
The lady there took down my contact details as we are not in a position to take in a cat until after the 26th March and asked if we had any colour/breed preferences.  I must admit I looked at her like she was a bit mad until she explained that they get various demands when people come in to view their cats - mad isn't it?!

Yes.  When we were adopting, we told the rescue that we were only interested in the one that was most needy.  I would never do anything else.  As it happened, we found ourselves united with an 18-month old Blip: possibly the worlds most affectionate and intelligent cat  :wow: but, anyway, the one we love the most  :Luv:

I did say though that we weren't looking for a kitten, I am out of the house at work for 5 hours mon-fri and I don't think that would be fair.  There were 2 or 3 cats there that had diabetes and receive injections.  That made me think about cats that already had health concerns.  Whilst the funds are there to cope with anything that may happen, I don't know how great I would be at administering injections.  Paws for thoughts anyway, something to ponder.

Lisa

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 19:50:02 PM »
The lady there took down my contact details as we are not in a position to take in a cat until after the 26th March and asked if we had any colour/breed preferences.  I must admit I looked at her like she was a bit mad until she explained that they get various demands when people come in to view their cats - mad isn't it?!

Yes.  When we were adopting, we told the rescue that we were only interested in the one that was most needy.  I would never do anything else.  As it happened, we found ourselves united with an 18-month old Blip: possibly the worlds most affectionate and intelligent cat  :wow: but, anyway, the one we love the most  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Elizabeth z17

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 19:36:47 PM »
  :welcome: As Well as what everyone else has mentioned, thats it. But with regards to the litter I've always and my Mum have used Wilkinsons own brand lightweight cat litter and I've been always happy with this. As for disposing of it, mine goes into a black bin liner before disposing it in the bin.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 19:15:23 PM »
I have to admit that I often set out with one sort of cat clearly in mind, but come home with another. Arriving here and setting up house last July, I had very clear plans that I would be taking on two elderly cats, preferable siamese or abyssinian. Well, Smidgen is half abyssinian, but less than a year old still! and Esther, well she is just your average black cat, of indeterminate age and breed, and such a love :Luv:

So, as you can see, I am very firm and fixed in my purpose  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 19:13:33 PM »
I find the wood-based stuff is the best in terms of absorbency, odour reduction and minimising tracking. and it lasts better than the more expensive crystal stuff ...

My objection to clumping litter is that it clogs up your toilet when you flush the solids ... and is also a clay so supports extractive industries that destroy the environment...

Oops - you posted as I was composing my last post.

Is that what everyone does - flushes the solids?  Well it makes sense but I hadn't thought of it myself!!!

Lisa

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 19:11:52 PM »
Thanks blackcat.  We will be having a pampered puss!  That's pretty much what I have on my list although I won't be needing the kitten food.  My boys have a popup tunnel that they have outgrown and I was contemplating getting rid of it but after looking at some of the pictures on here my "cat to be" might find a good use for it.

It was sad walking aroung the cpl today, so many lovely cats waiting for someone to love them.  All handsome and friendly, makes you wonder how some of them ended up there.  A few had comments on their sheets on how they got there like the owners passing away.  Others said that a new arrival at home meant they no longer fitted in - sad :'(

Lisa

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 19:09:35 PM »
I find the wood-based stuff is the best in terms of absorbency, odour reduction and minimising tracking. and it lasts better than the more expensive crystal stuff ...

My objection to clumping litter is that it clogs up your toilet when you flush the solids ... and is also a clay so supports extractive industries that destroy the environment...

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 19:03:11 PM »
:welcome: to Purrs, Likabu!

I applaud your decision to rehome a cat  :) and I am sure everyone will come up with loads of suggestions: litter tray, bed(s), food bowls, water bowl, toys and so on.  You might want to consider a Feliway diffuser to help your new arrival settle in - I get ours from VetUK.

:thanks: for the welcome.

With regards to the cat litter - any recommendations?  My branch of the cats protection league use the pellet stuff that you see in the bottom of rats cages.  I habe seen recommendations for the clumping stuff but don't really know the reasons why one is preferable over the other.

Lisa

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 18:10:48 PM »
OK, well here is my shopping list from when i was awaiting SMidgen and Esther ...

Climbing tower,
litter trays,
litter,
radiator bed
bowls
water bowl (one of those recirculating thingies)
carry cages X 2
worming medication and flea spot-ons
cat food, kitten food
Since then I have added climbing tower X2, Ikea cat tent, millions of toys including Da Bird, which you can get at the Purrs Shop and which comes highly recommended, and a couple of extra beds.

That would be the bare minimum if you plan to pamper your puss. You can get most of it from Zooplus and if you use the link on the main menu it will result in donations to cat rescues

Have fun - It was such fun getting things together for my babies!! ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 18:08:30 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Likabu!

I applaud your decision to rehome a cat  :) and I am sure everyone will come up with loads of suggestions: litter tray, bed(s), food bowls, water bowl, toys and so on.  You might want to consider a Feliway diffuser to help your new arrival settle in - I get ours from VetUK.

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 18:01:30 PM »
Hello, I've just joined and spent 2 hours having a good old read before deciding to say "hello".

I'm 27, and have grown up with cats (& dogs) but haven't had cats since I left home.  I took my 2 boys (human ones - 3 and nearly 6) to the cats protection league today for a look around and a chat.  We are hoping to get an adult cat from there but we can't take one until the end of the month as we are going away for the bank holiday weekend and it would be unfair.

I have read up on cat welfare as although I have had cats the actual responsibility wasn't mine.  I would appreciate any suggestions in what I will need prior to getting a cat, I have a fair idea but don't want to overlook the obvious.

Also we haven't had a home visit as that will happen nearer to the time, but I was assured that the ages of my boys wouldn't be a problem.  I took then with me and they were well behaved as usual when out.  They do have fighty moments at home but they are boys.  We have a hamster at the moment - Harold, and they love him to bits.

Any pointers, suggestions, do's and don'ts that may or may not be obvious, throw them my way as I don't want to miss anything.

Many thanks in advance
Lisa

Link to CatChat