Author Topic: Medication Query/Panic  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Medication Query/Panic
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 20:19:27 PM »
Fair enough - i would still restrict how much he gets in case he gets addicted though!!
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 20:05:36 PM »
Just be aware that cat milk is a food and not a drink for cats, so might not help his fluid intake and you will have to watch his food if his weight is an issue.

His weight is an issue as he is under weight - 4.2 Kilos which for a Ragdoll is very small, although he is up to 4.3 now which is good. He is all bones so needs a bit fattening up  :briggin:!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 22:10:19 PM »
Just be aware that cat milk is a food and not a drink for cats, so might not help his fluid intake and you will have to watch his food if his weight is an issue.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 22:01:52 PM »
Long term steroids unless the only thing that will help are not good, so a medication that is non-steroid is much better if it works.

I do hope that this will help your cat  :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 19:02:04 PM »
Well thats his dose given tonight - doubel the first day then normal every day from now on. I really hope it inmproves his nose - the wee man gets hardly any sleep as it soons wakes him up - he snores louder than a man!! It affects his eating too - here is a wee pic so you can see his nose. Whilst it adds to his character it means he gets a streaming eye and the constant snuffles so even if it just came down a wee bit - well I think it would make him a lot happier!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 19:03:36 PM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 15:07:49 PM »
I think id rather metacam than longterm steroids.
If it were me id think of it as a potential for some kidney damage but you get better results from his tumour and hopefully improve his quality of life  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
Dragan had raised kidney readings (not dangerously raised I must add) and he had metacam used with caution (ie not every day) and he was fine.  It really helped him and gave him a lot of relief so that he was able to play again.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »
Thank you everyone you have really put my mind at ease!!!!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Edgar is fine with regards to his kidney functions etc and his bloods were did back in November when he went into Rescue and everything was fine. I have checked and double checked the dosage levels as what the vet had told me to give him was above what is stated as the initial dose on the leaflet - however the vet sites I checked last night all stated the same level that my vet has given (some were more) and they were all really praising the drug saying they find it is brilliant but the other sites made me panic.

Edgar is very good at taking water and I might give him a bit cat milk to top up his fluids just to ensure he is fully hydrated and give him his first dose tonight.

It is for the anti-inflamatory purposes the vet suggested as he didn't think he should be on steroids. I really hope it brings his nose down as it really affects his breathing and his sleeping having a near blocked nose with his tumour.

Anyway sorry I am rabling - but like I said - thanks a million everyone you have really put my mind at rest and this is one of the many reasons why I love this site!!! :hug:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:43:05 AM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »
Metacam does put a strain on kidneys as it is excreted through them - It has to be used with caution with cats with CRF. Nevertheless, my vet used it for Clapton after his last dental but was was careful not to give too much and he was fine. It should be fine for a cat with healthy kidneys.

I think it is a great drug and gives excellent pain relief.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:07:58 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:39:03 AM »
i have used Metacam on a few different cats, before it was licenced for use in cats (I have used it since, but still had the dog Metacam), and 2 of the cats had bloods done after usage (just the routine ones I do, not cos the vet said) and they were all perfectly fine after it.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »
Metacam is now licensed for use in cats and is a very good non steroidal antinflammatory drug.

Providing your cat is healthy and doesnt have any of the pre existing conditions mentioned in the contra indications and you follow the correct dosage it is perfectly fine to be used  :)

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:45:09 AM »
I think Metcam is a painkiller, also peeps use it on their cats here.

Hope that helps till someone can tell you more.  :)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 00:05:53 AM »
Oh I should point out - a lot of the neagtive info is from 2005 and 2006 when this drug was not yet approved for cats and only for dogs!!!  :shocked:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Medication Query/Panic
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 00:03:46 AM »
One of my newly acquired rescue cats has a benin tumour on his nose/face which makes him snuffly and uncomoftable.

He has been on medication for the last four months which was hoped to shrink the tumour and it hasn't. Now I have taken them to register with my vet (they have been with me just over a week) and he explained the stuff they were on he doesn't really rate and that is really just a contraceptive drug used to stop queens going into heat but often used as a steroid. Now this was before I pointed it hadn't worked so i was hopeful at this point he might have a better idea  :-:

Anyway he has given me a drug called Metacam to put in Edgar's food and I was all set to go but I have did a google search and whilst there are some vet comments raving about it - there are a couple of sites that seem to be dedicated to saying it is dangerous and kills cats or at very least gives them Kidney failure! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

So here in is the danger of the internet I suppose!!! I haven't ever really had to use medication with a cat so not sure if the horror sites exist for all drugs. I think this is quite a new drug and hmmm I am now in a bit of a tizzy!!

Anyone ever used or came accross conflicting info like this?

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat