Author Topic: Pepcid AC: working out what dose  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Pepcid AC: working out what dose
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 18:19:58 PM »
i hope the meds work, so you dont have to start thinking about the quality of his life.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 16:17:27 PM »
It is sad when they no longer like to eat  :(

Good luck for the vets tomorrow

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »
Swampy's got to go to the vet again tomorrow. I'm going to give him more SEB and pepcid today. His tum finally worked yesterday after about 1.5mls the night before and the same again in the morning - this is suddenly twice the usual dose for less 'result' and his coat's glossy but he's not interested in eating. Another 1.5mls last night and nada. Something's wrong!
Yes I do subscribe to that yahoo group but once when I thought I'd posted, it 'disappeared'. I read the emails that land in the inbox though. I'll have another go!

It just seems so rotten that he no longer enjoys his food (although his bloods weren't too bad). He refused point blank to touch some fresh chicken last night too. He ate renal blended yuk yesterday off a spoon - I got quite a bit in him, but there's no enjoyment.  I don't think he'd eat 'normal' cat food as he never has since he was a kitten. Plus it would need binders and that would make his constipation and sore tum worse. He also now refuses to touch any of his favourite old dry food too. He will try to eat k/d minced chicken but finds it exhausting as it can't be licked up (and blends to a goo, no good).
Has anyone tried the RC beef pouches as I thought about blending that for a change for him - if changing his food is a good idea - maybe not.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 00:22:12 AM »
thanks Helen. Do you think it's ok to basically start with a 1/4 every day as his 2 doses every other day haven't really helped. Of course it may not be that causing the inappetance. He only ate well after the B12 jab. Could be anaemia therefore I suppose.

As long as your vet is happy with 1/4 tab every day then that's what dosage I would be going up to, I can't praise Pepcid AC highly enough but it really is a case trying to find the minimum dose that is effective.

Not sure about the lactulose question I'm afraid, are you a member of the feline crf yahoo group?  The majority of members are in the US but there are some extremely knowledgable people on there, it's a very active group so lots of good recent advice and they will be better placed to answer specific Pepcid / lactolose queries or indeed anything relating to CRF.  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »
sorry, another day another q. I can't see how, but does Pepcid interfere with lactulose? Poor Swampy's getting a whole syringe full and it's not quite as neutrally odoured when it eventually does appear either  :sick:  He had 1.5mls 2 nights in a row before it worked since starting the Pepcid...coincidence?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 18:51:45 PM »
thanks Helen. Do you think it's ok to basically start with a 1/4 every day as his 2 doses every other day haven't really helped. Of course it may not be that causing the inappetance. He only ate well after the B12 jab. Could be anaemia therefore I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 18:52:06 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 17:56:23 PM »
The maximum does is 1/4 of a tablet twice a day, that's what Tiggy was on for well over a year as any less and she still had vomiting issues.  If your vet is happy to up the dose bearing in mind Swampy's liver issues then I would increase it and see how he goes - it really was a miracle drug for Tiggy.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Pepcid AC: working out what dose
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 16:05:32 PM »
Right now I'm using 1/4 tablet (10mg tablets) every other day for Swampy not just to see if it helps with his lack of appetite but to watch if it has an effect on his liver (it says don't use in liver disease, but the vet thinks it's ok). This is under what the vet suggested which was that much every day, but I was following the crf website & our own Helen (Tiggy's Mum's) recomm not to give too much.  However how long before the dosage should be increased? Did anyone else notice that lactulose doesn't work as well once Pepcid starts, or would that probably be coincidence? I've stopped the SEB for a week while I see how Pepcid does, otherwise I can't tell what's causing any improvement (or not).

Vet says it normally works instantly - is this everyone's experience please?

Link to CatChat