Author Topic: OMG - Vets’ secret trade in dog body parts  (Read 6792 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: OMG - Vets’ secret trade in dog body parts
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »
I saw this in the paper and could not believe what I was reading >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 15:45:58 PM »
Its better than the vet schools breeding their own specimens tho   :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 21:27:30 PM »
I'm glad it's you losing your ability, I thought I'd cracked and didn't know  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 21:25:50 PM »
neither you did, my mistake. time for bed apparently - I am losing my cognitive ability  :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 21:24:40 PM »
There was nothing there that suggested they would be use for live research ...

I never mentioned live research   :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 21:21:48 PM »
from your first post Dawn it sounds as if PTS is what happens - then their various bits are provided for student vets to learn on, along with doing further research on the various bits. There was nothing there that suggested they would be use for live research ...

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 21:17:52 PM »
Where would these greyhounds go if not to help vet research?  :shify:

I think we would all agree that pts humanely is better than what could happen to them but again, it's another sorry saga surrounding the Greyhound Industry and again, it's another way for them to shirk their responsibilities by doing right by these dogs.  Animals should not be treated like garbage where they can be disposed of at lib, and I don't think this is the message they should be getting across to people.  Greyhound racing should be banned and maybe then, they can be pts due to old age and not because they haven't met the grade  >:(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 20:59:43 PM »
I've had 3 retired racers, all were totally ok and unmuzzled wth the cats in less than 24 hours (logan has never raced and i got him as a pup so thats different ball game)

Having said that, if they were out in the open and off lead and something running caught their eye they'd be off although i am pretty sure none of mine would have killed if they caught it but they'd definately try to catch hold.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 20:12:15 PM »
I remember a case, last year, I think, of a farmer who was 'providing a service' to trainers of unwanted greyhounds. He led them all into his shed, shot them, then flung their bodies on a wheelbarrow and dumped them in an open tip.  >:( He was prosecuted for breaking hygiene regulations.  :censored: :censored:

I think we all know that every day, healthy animals are PTS because there are not enough homes. Dogs, cats, horses, rabbits... all of them! Where would these greyhounds go if not to help vet research?  :shify:

Not saying it's right, mind you, but I'd seriously like to hear alternatives.  :tired:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 15:10:54 PM »
interesting that former racers can live with cats I'd always imagined that would be a problem

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 14:50:47 PM »
Tops racers are worth money as are their offspring, My archie reached british champion at the peak of his career and had he been able to sire pups they were to have a price tag of minimum of 3K on each head before they were even born (and thats going back a good few years now), however for some unbenown reason archie was never able to do the job properly  :evillaugh:

(my boys altho raced had a fantastic home with very caring and loving owners )

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 14:46:04 PM »
I think there is probably too much money as well, somebody I know has a part share in a racing dog and casually mentioned the other day they sell for £3000 - I'm not even sure how sucessful the dog is but it sounds like a good money spinner to me

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
I agree with you entirely but having an incling of the scale of this industry in practically every country in the world makes me extremely pessimistic tbh.  I think it makes more money than horse racing globally aswell  :tired:

one of my pet hates is folk who dont bet on racing but have a "grand national" flutter  >:(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
However i must add that anyone who thinks the greyhound "trade/sport" may ever be phased out eventually are very very much kidding themselves on, world wide its one of the biggest money earners and by no means is this going to be stopped.

I think they are hoping Virtual Greyhound Racing will latch on, a few have converted to it so we live in hope  :tired:  I think the main problem with all this is the total lack of respect for a greyhounds life, the way they are thrown to one side when they don't make the grade etc etc but I also think it's up to the Industry to provide safe places for these dogs and to make sure they are looked after and loving homes found, they make enough  :censored: money out of them in their short lives, so they should do the right thing by them.  This should also apply to horse racing.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »
Its wrong and i wont go into it, having 2 greyhounds in my home and having had 2 other love of my lives being greyhounds in the past that says it all for me i think.  However the only good i can take out of this scandel is that atleast they are being put to sleep humanely and not bludgened to death or buried alive etc etc.

However i must add that anyone who thinks the greyhound "trade/sport" may ever be phased out eventually are very very much kidding themselves on, world wide its one of the biggest money earners and by no means is this going to be stopped.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 01:48:49 AM »
Although this is a separate issue to what I posted initially, it's all related in what these poor dogs endure at human hands.  Below is a video on what happens to Greyhounds in the Greyhound Industry so please spare a thought when betting or attending races  :'(  :'(

The link below is very upsetting so if you are going to be upset don't watch but by the same token, if it's upsetting to watch, think about what all those poor dogs go through   :'(  :'(

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAB-PY7XZQ

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 00:11:35 AM »
I think the paragraph that says "It is now apparent, however, that some veterinary practices also have a financial incentive to put dogs down without any medical reason" is quite a worrying thought because we all know this is going to happen without a doubt. 

I know of a vet locally that will pts greyhounds, not for financial reasons but because they know if they don't, the owner will find another way of "disposing" of them.  Euthanising humanely is the better of two evils but I still find it very sad that this is another incentive for the Greyhound Industry not to have a responsibility to these dogs to find them loving homes  :'(  :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 18:22:31 PM »
We passed a greyhound "sanctuary" in Essex yesterday and my mum said you can take the dogs for walks if you want to. I wonder if it is the one?  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 18:01:51 PM »
I think the greyhound industry will be fazed out eventually, there are a lot of people fighting their corner but obviously this will take time.  I can see what you're saying in regards to the dogs not having died in vain by selling parts for teaching purposes, but this still doesn't make it right.  Greyhounds have suffered at human hands for long enough and I think if this is deemed as acceptable, more will go missing as I'm sure someone will think of a way of abusing an already sick practise.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 16:23:12 PM »
at the risk of being provocative. We all know that the greyhound industry regularly euthanases dogs that do not run fast enough. It seems to me that if that cruel practice is to continue, at least the dogs have not died in vain if their various organs are used to train veterinarians of the future ...

the 'don't care' attitude the reporter refers to may have been a students attempt at making it a non-judgemental approach to a callous owner ...

I tend to take 'undercover reports' with a fairly large handful of salt since they are looking for scandal, even if they don't necessarily find it. If they don't then they will put the worst possible slant on the story to get a result ...

just another way of looking at this story ...

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
OMG - Vets’ secret trade in dog body parts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 16:16:46 PM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3466712.ece

A CLINIC is killing healthy dogs and secretly selling their body parts to Britain’s most prestigious veterinary college for research, an investigation has found.

The Royal Veterinary College (RVC) has a financial agreement with a vet’s practice which provides the organs from dogs on a regular basis.

An undercover reporter posing as an owner found that staff at the Greyhound Clinic in Essex agreed to kill greyhounds for £30 each even though he told them the dogs had “nothing wrong with them”.

The clinic is then paid by the college, which specifically insists the dogs must be healthy before being euthanased, for each animal from which it supplies parts.
The RVC, which is the oldest and largest veterinary college in Britain, admitted that it had a number of similar financial agreements with other clinics to provide specimens.
The practice has “horrified” the RSPCA and animal welfare campaigners and even one of the heads of the greyhound racing industry itself.

The sport has been criticised for failing to explain the fate of thousands of greyhounds which retire from racing each year and then disappear without trace.

Alistair McLean, chief executive of the National Greyhound Racing Club (NGRC), the industry’s governing body, said he was “flabbergasted” by the trade in body parts. “This is completely and utterly unacceptable,” he said. “It is quite scandalous.”

The RSPCA said: “We are shocked by this evidence which appears to show an opening for greyhounds to be systematically destroyed for profit. We certainly would not like to think that there was a financial incentive to ending a pet’s life.”

Maureen Purvis, of the campaign group Greyhounds UK, compared the practice with that of Burke and Hare, the19th century bodysnatchers who killed people to provide corpses for dissection. “What this clinic is doing is the canine equivalent of that,” she said. “It is just absolute butchery.”

Although the rules governing vets allow them to use their discretion on putting down healthy animals, in practice most are reluctant to do so.

The NGRC states that its trainers should put dogs down only as a last resort. “Even a broken leg can often be mended but some trainers see it as simply more cost effective to have it put down,” said a racing insider.

It is now apparent, however, that some veterinary practices also have a financial incentive to put dogs down without any medical reason.

The Greyhound Clinic is in an Essex hamlet which is in effect a “greyhound village”. The clinic’s immediate neighbours are the kennels of at least six NGRC-registered trainers, two greyhound retirement homes and a practice racetrack.

The undercover reporter called the clinic and spoke to Donna Atkins, the practice manager, saying he had two greyhounds he wanted putting down because he “had no room for them”.
The reporter asked if the clinic ever took blood from the dogs before killing them and Atkins said the Royal Veterinary College sent people once or twice a week to collect blood from dogs being put down, she said.

When the reporter called back, Atkins said: “We are going to take the glands as well. Is that okay?”

The reporter said it was, but emphasised that his dogs were not old and there was nothing wrong with them. “That’s fair enough; that’s not a problem,” said Atkins. “So it’s 10.15 tomorrow. Bye.”

When the reporter arrived the next day, two students from the RVC, who introduced themselves as Demi and Rick, were waiting. The reporter, who said his dogs would arrive shortly with his brother, explained there was “nothing wrong with them” but the students appeared uninterested. Asked why they wanted the dogs’s lymph glands, Demi said: “We take tissue from healthy dogs and we look at the cells and put them in an artificial environment and use that to further our research.”

The reporter left but not before paying Atkins £60 in advance to have the fictitious dogs put down. He was not asked to sign any forms and was at no time asked his name, phone number, address or any details as to why the dogs should be destroyed.

He also asked Atkins if the RVC was paying the clinic to take body parts. “No, no, we work in conjunction with them. We all work together from all over the place. It’s part of their learning,” she said.

John O’Connor, 65, head vet and director of the clinic, told the undercover reporter, who was now posing as an employee of a company wanting to procure canine organs, that he had an “exclusive” commercial contract with the RVC until November. After that he would review the situation and expected “at least £30 per canine part”.

When contacted later by The Sunday Times O’Connor initially denied a financial agreement with the RVC but subsequently admitted invoicing the college at £10 per dog and being paid.
He claimed that he had been paid a few hundred pounds since he began supplying the parts three years ago and that he intended to pay the money to charity.

O’Connor said he put down dogs only if they had medical problems or showed aggression and said he would not have euthanased the fictitious dogs.

An RVC spokesman confirmed it had an agreement with the clinic but said owners should be issued with a form “to indicate their acknowledgment” of their pets’ fate. “The decision to euthanase an animal must only be taken when both owner and vet agree and the owner has given written consent.”

Link to CatChat