Author Topic: People - count your war wounds  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: People - count your war wounds
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 09:51:11 AM »
Anyone have trouble with giving treats? One of mine, Jake, turns into a vicious tasmanian devil type creature when there are treats on offer! You take your life in your hands if you get too close. I swear he'd eat my fingers given the opportunity...

There is a reason I don't give treats anymore. Its not worth my fingers!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying this, but currently I have no war wounds  :shify:

Well, only one, but that was cruelly inflicted by the tin of Applaws I was opening for Max's breakfast yesterday, so I guess that could count as 1  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
    • The Pet Extraordinarium
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »
haha! Current count of 4, which isn't too bad, let's face it. But three of them are in a big claw mark round my chest - looks like i've been attacked by a werewolf not a 9 month old ball of fluff!!

Anyone have trouble with giving treats? One of mine, Jake, turns into a vicious tasmanian devil type creature when there are treats on offer! You take your life in your hands if you get too close. I swear he'd eat my fingers given the opportunity...
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!
The Extraordinary Pet Blog - http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 19:48:22 PM »
Germolene? I have that. Works a treat.  Today, no wounds!   ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
My vet tells me to use the pink stuff (can't remember its name) and always makes sure it isn't too bad - the rescues vet just laughs it off (normally while showing me a war wound of his own). I have had to have 2 courses of ab's due to infected bites though - the second was PEbbles, and she had to go back the day after - she got put on the table with the remaining tablet, and the vet was told if she really wanted her to have it, they would have to do it. One look at my finger, and vet decided she didn't really need it!! One of our previous trainee vet nurses had to go to hospital after handling Blackie due to how much she had scratched and bit - I had warned her before she went to put her in the cage, but she ignored me. Luckily, she had clipped her claws while she was sedated, but it was still a mess. At least 3 of my cats have bit/scratched at the vets, it is a wonder I am still allowed to go (and no wonder the vet is cautious when I take new cats!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »
My vet is pretty cool. When Lexy bit me in full view of the vet, she just gave me an antiseptic wipe and told me to watch for infection. She wasn't too fussed.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Most vets scoff at the tetanus thing with docs when folk get scratched or bitten..the stats for anyone contracting this from a cat are practically nil (well in this country anyway) yet they can be reluctant to give antibiotics for bad scratch/bites when cat scratch fever is highly prevelent and an extremely common occurence.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 07:53:58 AM »
One three inch old and faded scar on my thigh when Flynn slipped whilst chatting to me when I was in the bath one night.  He fell into the water, panicked and fled across my body, scrambled his way over the side of the tub and left me bleeding and wincing in his wake!  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 04:55:25 AM »
Only 1 here and quite a deep one on my stomache.....Yagga decided to use me as a spring board!  :tired:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:56:01 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 20:24:15 PM »
"Tetanus bacteria (germs) live in the soil and dirt." I assume the risk is more to do with deep scratches than bites

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 20:13:14 PM »
When Magpie bit me (at the vets when he was very sick) I was sent to A&E to get antibiotics.  The vets told me that A&E would give me a tetanus booster but that tetanus was not really a problem, and that the antibiotics were more important due to the bacteria in the mouth.  If any of them get bitten they just prescribe themselves some antiobiotics.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 20:13:02 PM »
Geoffrey quite often stabs me on the nose to wake me up when it's breakfast time - fortunately the vet gave them a jolly good clip while his teeth were being done so now I just get a paw.  I do have 5 (arm and belly) from trying to get him into the cat carrier to take him for his dental though!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 20:06:55 PM »
Just a couple of little ones.

I didnt think cats could give you tetanus, thought it was the general bacteria in the mouth that poses more of a risk  :-:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 19:20:43 PM »
None here either.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 18:20:55 PM »
Thanks - dont need to worry for another 5 years then!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 18:17:12 PM »
Whoops

"After the fifth dose, immunity remains for life and you do not need any further boosters (apart from some travel situations - see below)"

Should have read it properly

Dr Ros
x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 18:13:06 PM »
Tetanus evey 10 years mainly

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068839/

Dr Ros 
x   :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 18:06:20 PM »
There are ever present slight scratch marks all over my thighs as he often tries to jump up on my lap while we are eating, but I no longer count them as a "battle wound".  A fortnight ago he tried to cling on to my arm while he was slipping off the edge of the bed as a result I got 3 nasty gashes on my biceps.  The final little scab from it is about to fall off now... :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 15:11:24 PM »
I have acquired another 5 or so this morning trying to get Tibby in the carrier. I had a tetanus just under 5 years ago when my first cat bit me and it got infected - has been very handy since. Is it 5 years, or 10 years it needs a booster?
Please spay your cat

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »
None, nada, not a one. Aren't my boys good even though Freddie wrestles me a dozen times a day?  :Luv: 

Now when Dingle RIP was here (fiery wee lass and no mistake) I was covered in scratches esp hands and knees coz she loved me to kneel on the floor and pat her bum as she clawed and kicked her way around my legs. Stupid I know and I can't blame her bad behaviour on anyone cept me coz she came to me so young. Ruled me with a rod of iron she did :Luv2:

Are you all keeping your tetanus shots up to date?

I had a tetanus a couple of years ago when my mums neighbours dog decided it would be a good idea to bite me.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »
None, nada, not a one. Aren't my boys good even though Freddie wrestles me a dozen times a day?  :Luv: 

Now when Dingle RIP was here (fiery wee lass and no mistake) I was covered in scratches esp hands and knees coz she loved me to kneel on the floor and pat her bum as she clawed and kicked her way around my legs. Stupid I know and I can't blame her bad behaviour on anyone cept me coz she came to me so young. Ruled me with a rod of iron she did :Luv2:

Are you all keeping your tetanus shots up to date?

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »
Well, now I've got three more -  Xanthe decided to play this morning!

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 23:31:54 PM »
Top beauty tip btw - don't apply fake tan when you have a really good scratch, because well, hello temporary tattoo effect. Tho oddly lasts a lot longer than the rest of the tan.

This was back before I was married of course and had to worry about that beauty business.  :rofl:
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 23:13:02 PM »
I have 11 scratches at present due to Frankie being overexcited in play yesterday, and I have a couple of scars from cat bites, one from Blackie, and one from Charlie (fortunately only 2 infected cat bites in 5 years of cat ownership.) I also have weird pigmentation in my skin, so scratches take ages to fade, so I have a couple that I hope will fade (as the two mentioned above are over 3 years old, I doubt they will now).
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 20:53:45 PM »
Crikey...well into 2 figures, i dunno..over a dozen for sure.  The worst are on my forearm, the best is a very large scar on the back of my shoulder just under my neck..long one where a cat had gripped onto me digging a claw in and when she was pulled off of me by another member of staff (whilst i was trying to prevent her escape and damage to my face) her claw curled right round under my skin and ripped all the way..was painful,
another good one is a bite wound on my right index finger which ended up with rapid spreading cellulitis, skin splitting right up my finger and beginning to on my hand and a night & day in edinburgh royal infirmary on iv antibiotics.

I worked with a junior trainee nurse who (after i had left) sustained a nasty injury on her eyelid and she needed a skin graft taken from below her eye to replace missing skin on her eyelid .. ouch !!

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 20:47:26 PM »
Three on each hand and one on my wrist ... some inflicted by Minnie and some by my brother's cat ... both play with claws!  Always got lots of little puncture marks on my knees too as Bella likes to dig her claws in when sitting on laps.  As for Bertie, I can honestly say that in the 3.5 years I've had him, he's never scratched me once - he's a big softie  :Luv2:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 20:41:53 PM »
About 7 or 8, not checked any further than hands & wrists though...

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 20:36:12 PM »
my lot must be incredibly well-behaved - I have no injuries to report!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 20:27:37 PM »
I've got a lovely scratch on my thumb, as well as my left wrist. I always underestimate the speed (and power) of Jamesons claws, and pull away when it's a little too late...
After a good ol' playing session on the catnip though, the count would be much higher... and the pain greater!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 20:12:02 PM »
Don't know at the moment, but I recall counting at one time when Mosi was a kitten and got to over 20 before I gave up  :rofl:  He likes to do somersaults from the arm of the sofa and it's anyone's guess where he lands, but it's frequently on me  ;D

At the moment I know I have 2 on my leg, one on my left hand and another on my left forearm, but I don't think I want to check for any more!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 20:05:36 PM »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 20:04:08 PM »
Five.. well placed claw paw on the back of my hand...  :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 19:57:12 PM »
oh i dont count but do wonder where some of the scratches from, mostly gained in bed, so from a punk called ducha  :rofl:

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
People - count your war wounds
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 19:54:26 PM »
Woke up yesterday and noticed a great big scratch down my arm, nothing new there, always finding them and not knowing when I got them, thanks to my pain receptors mostly switching off some years ago to cat scratches.

However, I thought I'd count mine ( excepting knees as leverage ones ) my count today is 8.

What's yours  ;)

Link to CatChat