Author Topic: "Soft Claws" - has anyone used them?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: "Soft Claws" - has anyone used them?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »
I bought a cat scratcher off a woman because her cat had no interest in it.....she had pink one's on!  :Crazy:

I thought in some cases the vet applies the soft claws under sedation...he trims the nails then applies.... :-:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 23:31:13 PM »
There's no way a lampshade could go round his neck, though while soaking in my bath I did wonder whether a large one round his middle might act as a barrier.
I suppose I could take him to my vet for bandaging, mind you having bought the soft claws may as well try them now!

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 22:56:55 PM »
I dont like the fact that web page points out they are for owners that want to have fashionable cats  >:(

Yes I suppose with them on a cat could still scratch, so maybe a bandaid or something over the back paws till it heals?

Or maybe one of those lampshades from the vets but reversed and cut to fit? It may protect the area or am I being sill again lol

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 20:44:03 PM »
Yes i have sucessfully used them on many cats including my own one.

Yes you have to clip the tips of the nails off first.

In my own experience they do not cause discomfort/pain and are excellent for scratching problems..one of the longest users of them had an extremely rare pre malignant on going acute skin condition which basically meant the cat (a persian) would have a short life.  meanwhile for the years he did have he could never ever be without the effect of strong special steriod injections and soft paws on all feet.  if he ever managed to get one or two off, or they came off naturally with the nail growing he was so itchy that he inflicted wounds on himself that would require suturing many a time or the least dressing of wounds.  this was an extreme case that most vets would not even see in their professional lifetime.

other times they can be used in situations ie you take the cats with you to the parents house at xmas , you move into new house etc times where a cat will normally initially scratch its territory more, this type of behaviour dies down but in the initial period they can still scratch but the soft paws means it doesnt damage.

My own reasoning for using them on my cat was that he was a stray in desperate need of lodgings, due to a medical complaint he was to be caged for 6 weeks, not even correctly penned or kenneled but caged due to no other lodgings available, i found that wholly unacceptable for such a fine friendly cat so took him to live with me in our brand new flat and obviously as my o/h wasnt such a cat lover as myself i knew had there been 1 incident said cat would have been out the door so i took proactive measures on the "just in case" assumption.  This said cat never actually left my care LOL and we became his forever home,  his name is fraser by the way but he showed total indifference to having them on (only front feet for behavioural scratching and normally just hind feet for medical scratching)

hope this helps.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 19:14:53 PM »
We had a cat in the cattery that wore these - they didnt stay on very long!
Kept finding them on the floor.

Also had a cat in with a nasty sore on his neck, the vet bandaged his paws up for a couple of weeks to allow the area the heal

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 19:14:11 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Hope that if this is the solution for Brodie, Angie, that they work well. Poor mite, hadn't realised his sores were that bad.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 19:13:09 PM »
lol yes - if you have trouble with the claw clipping I think you'd have even more trouble trying to put glue and soft paws on her claws!

ETA - poor Lexy - look at all the colours she could have had!   :rofl:

http://www.softpaws.com/colors.html
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 19:14:25 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 19:11:47 PM »
Really, you have to clip first? Gawd, they're not for us then. Lexy is a fuss anyway you look at it.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 19:10:36 PM »
I think Gill might be right, but it's worth a try to see if it does help at all.  I know you have to trim the claws before you apply them, and sometimes people have problems with them falling off or the glue not working well, so I imagine they're a bit faffy to get on until you get the hang of them.

I would imagine they'd be a bit uncomforable for the cat when first applied, and are bound to affect their ability to scratch (scratching a post) but they can retract their claws normally with them on and stretch fully like they do when scratching.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 19:07:22 PM »
I'm sure I'm right in saying that cats' colour vision is quite poor (for exactly the same reason that they see well in the twilight, rods and cones and all that) so whatever else, I don't think the colour should be a factor.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 18:55:29 PM »
Whilst I don't agree with them in principle, I have to admit I've been trying to think of something for Lexy for the same reasons as Brodie. She's got sores on her neck I discovered. They're small but enough that she gets a bit of scabbing which I feel through the fur. You can't see it. I struggle clipping her claws but found that didn't help anyway as once they were clipped they still have sharp edges and she could still scratch them. So am trying to find the best solution right now.

I am hesitant to try these though, they don't look comfy at all.

Am interested if anyone has tried them for the same reasons Angie mentions and me too?  Do they really stop them scratching? If not, any ideas on anything else that can be tried?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 17:26:05 PM »
I suspevt and may be wrong that they will not help, cos skin , especially damage skin can be scratched by anything.

The effect simply takes longer because it becomes like a serious rub from repeated "scratchin" and I would be worried that they may cause a burn effect.

I am someone who has a skin problem and when it itches its bad and just rubbing will take the surface off.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 17:24:19 PM »
Not used them but they sound like they might help Brodie (I think the main reason peeps on here tend not to like them is when they're used just to stop the cat scratching furniture).  Quite a few people on the US forum I sometimes use have used them with success.  I think they can be tricky to get on first time but if you persevere it apparently gets easier.  Some people have said their cats try to get them off to begin with but soon get used to them.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 17:23:46 PM »
A friend of mine has used them on her cat in the past as she used to scratch herself a lot too, and they did help.

I know a lot of peeps don't agree with them if they are used for the sake of looking pretty or saving furniture, but if they are for a genuine medical reason then I think they are perfectly acceptable as a short term measure.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
"Soft Claws" - has anyone used them?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 17:20:43 PM »
I thought I'd start a new thread.
I've just ordered some of these to see if they will help out Brodie (IN R+R Thread) to stop him scratching his neck and opening up his sores.

Has anyone any experience with these things that they can pass on? I know they were criticised heavily on this forum in principle, so if you don't want to 'fess up in publc feel free to pm me.

I think I've gone for the blue ones as I though it would be easier to see if they have fallen off but am now wondering if coloured ones will make brodie more determined to pull them off.

And on another subject! Fancy calling a cat Brodie ! As if he hasn't got enough to contend with (says she with a Goose :rofl:).

Link to CatChat