Author Topic: Help for Uni Assignment about cat lover please??  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Help for Uni Assignment about cat lover please??
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Hi everyone, so that Cat_Lover can retain these comments as part of her research she's asked that we lock the thread so that it stays intact and she can refer to this during her assignment.  So here goes  ;)  Look forward to seeing the results!

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 21:39:24 PM »
Cats in my case-

I have crazy cat lady in my blood so thats where I get it I guess.

Cats do have a personality, I have 5 and all have there own little ways, they are not just cats, I see them more as furry people.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 16:41:07 PM »
Good luck, and as BC said, would be great to hear how how get on  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 14:37:59 PM »
that would be great! thanks a lot!! happy to help ...

Offline cat_lover1368

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 14:36:54 PM »
Yes I can display my research analysis if you want (data from all sources, not just this forum) however not until after the hand in date as I don't want to take the chance of any other classmembers seeing it and stealing my ideas/results!!  The grade won't be available until around June so I shall post both then if that's ok.  Thankyou again

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 14:31:10 PM »
will you be willing to publish the results of your 'survey' here so we can see what we contributed to? ;D

Or at least tell us what grade you got !

Offline cat_lover1368

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 14:29:29 PM »
Thanks very much to everyone, you all wrote excellent answers which will be a great help to my research  ;D .  I have plenty of data now from various sources so would like to end this thread and request that no more posts be made (unless of course through personal choice!).   Thanks so much again to everyone,  Cat_lover  :thanks:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
Hiya, here's my answers for you  ;D

does your cat have a personality? 
Oh yes, they are all individuals, very much like people

could you describe that personality? 
Max is an only house cat, so he is of course very dependent on us.  He is always very playful and extrovert, he knows what he wants, and he will be quite bullish about getting it.  He has brilliant ways of getting your attention, and when you tell him off he looks at you like a petulent teenager sometimes, until you forgive him and he'll jump up on your lap for a cuddle  :evillaugh:

why did you choose to get your cat? 
I didn't choose Max, so much as he chose me .   He was so friendly and comical that I just had to have him.  Also the fact that he had FIV made him all the more endearing.

is he/she now a part of the family or do the 2 of you live alone? 
I used to live alone with Max, but when J came to live with me it was a case of like me, like my cat lol.  Max is very much one of the family  :Luv:

do you miss each other when at work/out for the day? 
Of course, there's nothing like coming home to a barrage of headbutts and kitty cuddles after a hard days work.

what do you feed your cat? 
He's just been put a special diet for his kidneys, so its much more restricted than it used to be.  He always had Natures Menu and other good quality brands as well, I don't want him eating rubbish.

have you or would you ever make him/her a homecooked meal? 
Not specifically made for him, but when we have a roast, he has his own bowl with some meat, peas, carrots and gravy etc.

what activities does your cat enjoy doing during the day? 
Sleeping, eating, playing, sleeping some more, and sleeping  :evillaugh:  He does have his favourite toys as well which we will always oblige with in the evening, wiggly waggler, sheepmouse, feather on stick, da bird to name a few.

how much do you spend on your cat each week? 
To be honest I've never worked it out, but I will spend as much as I need to, to keep him happy and healthy  :shy:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:20:54 AM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »
Hell Yes !!!

Kinda Punk rock rage against the machine, dont call me , I'll call you Personality - but has became more loving with age :Luv: :evillaugh:

it Just happened, I was always a dog person till my mother got a Cat, and I saw the light :Luv:

all loved pet's are part of the Family

course I miss my furbabe, I work away from home, and my first question when I phone is always, "How's Misty Doing"

anything he likes

have been known to cook whole chickens

at almost 17yrs Sleeping is what He enjoys best :)

what brand of cat food do you buy?
I have over 200 pouches of Royal Canin renal food which He hardly touches >:(  whiskas Senior food

how much money would you spend on your cat in a week?  (including treats and meals or toys)
as Much as He Wants

is your cat/s a fussy eater?
See answer to 2nd question up

would you say cats are more intelligent than people might think they are?  (any examples/reasons)
YES, Misty used to open my balcony door just so Hamish and Him could lay in the Sun, they also used to join forces to rip
open bags of cat treats(One would hold bag down, while the other would tear at the bag with His Claws

hope this helps :)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 01:42:43 AM »
I have two cats - a 10 yr old male (Jaffa) and a 2 yr old male (Mosi)

Definitely.  They both have different personalities, likes and dislikes

Jaffa is a rather timid mummy's boy.  He's not really like the stereotype of a cat in that he's not aloof and independent, but is a real cuddlebug and just wants to love and be loved  :Luv: 

Mosi is a hyperactive, little thing who's into everything and doesn't have time to stop still and be cuddled.  He is affectionate though and when he pauses to draw breath, he'll climb onto my lap for a cuddle.  He's also noisy and demanding!

When I decided to get 2 cats, I went to a local rescue with an open mind regarding age, colour etc.  Jaffa chose me and I couldn't say no so he and one of his littermates came home with me.

When I got Mosi, I knew I wanted a Somali so did quite a bit of research choosing a breeder.  When I went to see him, he was the only male available but I fell in love with him anyway so that was that.

I don't live with any human family - me and my fur babies are a family.

Yes I do.  I have photos of them at work and often find myself looking at them and wishing I was at home!

Commercial cat food mainly.  For Jaffa it's wet food only.  For Mosi it's about 2/3 wet food and 1/3 dry food.  I occasionally give them a meal of raw meat and Jaffa has a raw chicken wing once or twice a week for his teeth.

Yes I have.  I've followed recipes in cat magazines etc occasionally and feed them raw or cooked meat as a snack.

They don't go outside so their activities are all indoor.  If I'm out, sleeping probably makes up most of their daytime activiites, but judging by the number of things knocked over, playing with their toys also!

A variety of brands.  For wet food - Nature's menu, hi life, nature's harvest, applaws, almo nature, bozita, animonda, felix, perfect fit.  I tend to look at any new food I've not seen before and if the ingredients are good I'll try it.  For dry food I feed Orijen primarily, but also James Wellbeloved and Hi Life.

how much money would you spend on your cat in a week?  (including treats and meals or toys)

I spend about £100 per month on the 2 of them, so that would be about £12 per week per cat.  That includes treats, vet bills, insurance, boarding etc. (yes, I've been brave enough to work it all out!)

No.  They both eat pretty much whatever I give them.

how much would you be willing to pay for the best cat food on the market?

Difficult to say really as I do tend to look at the ingredients on a food and if it sounds good I'll buy it without even looking at the price.  But there are limits to what I could afford to buy regularly. I currently buy pretty expensive food (applaws etc) but I rely on getting it when it's on special offer, at cat shows etc so that saves money, and I mix the expensive brands in with some cheaper ones.  I'd pay 50p - 60p for a single serve can/pouch but would only buy that regularly if I could get it cheaper by buying in bulk or due to it being on offer.  I would pay pretty much anything for something I considered an excellent food, but obviously the more expensive it was the less often I would feed it.  eg. I'd buy a single serve can costing £2 as a treat if I thought it was an excellent food, but wouldn't pay that for a regular meal.  I'd be prepared to pay more for something I consider good quality than for something poorer quality.  I won't pay some of the prices charged for gourmet sounding foods which only have 4% meat in them, but I will pay the same price for a food that has a high meat content and no fillers.

would you say cats are more intelligent than people might think they are?  (any examples/reasons)

Definitely - my cats have me wrapped around their paws!  If a cat refuses to do something it's because they see no benefit in it for them.  That's intelligent in my book!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:44:38 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »
Hi Cat Lover

I have only had a cat since Jan 07 and she is my only pet, my parents had dogs when I lived at home but Mum didn't like cats so this is all quite new to me. I thought a cat would be an easy low maintenance pet...haha! As an indoor cat she demands constant stimualtion, as well as grooming being a long hair. I sometimes think a dog would have been easier but I didn't fancy late night walks on my own, that said I love her to bits and would not swap her for the world. But she has been a revelation!

does your cat have a personality? & could you describe that personality?  Far more than I had expected. She's timid with strangers but dotes on me. Demanding when she wants to play... she brings a toy, drops it on my feet and sits there meowing until I play. She's waiting for cuddles when I get home from work and follows me from room to room as I move about the flat, yet she's independant too, when I want her attention she ignores me unless it suits her. Someone on this forum (i forget who) has a signature on the bottom of their posts that sums up a cats personality, I forget exactly but it's along the lines of... A dog says, you feed me, play with me and take care of me, you must be god; A cat says, you feed me, play with me and take care of me, I must be god. That's it in a nutshell. A dog works for your rewards, but who knows what a cat thinks, they seem to have their own agenda!

why did you choose to get your cat?  Well (and sshhh don't tell the others...lol) I would have got a dog but I work all day, have no garden and as stated above didnt fancy late night walks. I wanted a pet and a cat seemed a good choice, now I have her I wish I had done it years ago

is he/she now a part of the family or do the 2 of you live alone?  We live alone but yes she is part of the family. I can't imagine life without her now, the place would seem so empty. My parents live 150 miles away but thought it important to make regular visits so the cat got used to them before i took her to theirs for a week at christmas, so they consider her part of my family too!

do you miss each other when at work/out for the day?  Absolutely! She has a habit of dropping a toy at my feet when I am putting my shoes on for work in the morning, it breaks my heart to have to leave her and as said earlier she's waiting for me and goes mad when I get home

what do you feed your cat?  Royal Canin dry food is always out and tinned tuna (in spring water not brine) as an eveinig meal.... but, and how sad is this... she loves the gravy from hills science plan but not the meat, she used to like it so I bought in bulk (until she had tuna one day and wont touch anything else since) now I am reduced to squeezing the gravy over her tuna (totally spoiled!!!)

have you or would you ever make him/her a homecooked meal?  Yes, I cooked fresh fish, mince beef, lamb steaks & fresh chicken, but she still prefers her tuna with gravy

what activities does your cat enjoy doing during the day?  sleeping, looking out the window, hunting for food I hide about the flat and playing with me when I am here

how much do you spend on your cat each week? yikes, I dread to think. I can't pass a pet shop without buying a new toy. It's far more than I had thought a cat would cost.... lets see, with food, treats, cat litter, pet insurance & toys, it must be about £10 maybe more

what brand of cat food do you buy? see above

is your cat/s a fussy eater? she has always like the royal canin dry food but her eveing meal is wet food, as above she wasn't fussy about that until I gave her tuna, now she turns her nose up at anything else. If any of the hills science plan food gets into her tuna when I squeeze out the gravy she picks it out and I find it on the floor next to her bowl  :rofl:

how much would you be willing to pay for the best cat food on the market? whatever it takes to make the cat happy

would you say cats are more intelligent than people might think they are? Oh god yes! She loves puzzles, I am forever thinking up more complicated places to hide her biscuits as she prefers to work for them than take them from a bowl in the kitchen. She also plays fetch with toys, every morning when my alarm goes off she brings me a toy when I am still in bed, I have to throw it around the bedroom for her to fetch for at least 10 mins b4 I can get up

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 00:20:11 AM »
I have three cats ...

They are all very different  :Luv:

Shanti is curious, moody, bold, naughty, demonstrative (for good or bad), loving, playful, and highly territorial.  She likes being sung to, and sitting watching me in the kitchen.  She loves any sort of bag, and will empty one before attempting to get in it herself!  She likes to play 'catch me if you can' when it's time to come in, and is constantly thinking up new ingenious ways to get food off my plate! (The latest was lying on her back along my knee looking as cute as she possibly could, then with lightning speed twisting and launching herself at my plate and making a grab for my lamb chop!  The one before that was sitting demure as you like under the coffee table where I eat, and slowly slowly reaching her paw up from under the table  to where my plate was  :rofl: )  You know if Shanti is in a mood, she even 'humphs' if I pick her up at those times!  Then growls crossly if I don't put her down, and swipes (no claws) at any of us just to let us all know she's cross!

Meesha is very sensible, except she has to rush at everything as if there's a sudden emergency! She 'tells' me what she is doing with chattering miaows, and lets me know if she wants the litter cleaned, or wants to go upstairs for a cuddle.  She is highly intelligent, and very very gentle and sweet.  She tries to open my eyes in the morning with her paw, and seems to trust me completely and utterly.  She goes into the carrier herself when she has to go to the vet  :Luv:  Meesh is very obedient, and if she protests it's only with little miaows just to let me know her feelings on the subject.  She plays a proper game of fetch, and goes to find the ball and bring it to me when she fancies playing :)  She also loves opening drawers and taking things out! She is mum to Sabu, and absolutely adores him  :Luv:

Sabu (Sabby) is a complete 'boy'!  If someone comes home covered in something, it's Sabby!  He's the one who still climbs the curtains even though he's far too big now!  I swear if he could he'd have conkers, sticky half-eaten sweets, and bits of string in his pockets!  However, he is very easily spooked, shuns most humans, and is absolutely terrified of children.  Sabby is a very 'honest' cat - no guile or games.  He always greets me with great big jumping head butts, and always seems happy and bouncy (except when spooked).  He whines like a spoiled kid when disturbed from sleep though!  :rofl:

I saw Meesh and Shanti on Cats Protection website, and they didn't look that 'remarkable' as in, they didn't have distinctive or beautiful markings, or anything else that made them physically 'special'.  I figured that out of all the cats there they were the least likely to get adopted, so I went to see them! (I'm a firm believer that it's the personality that counts).  Sabby was the last of Meesha's kittens, and would have been all alone if I hadn't brought him home too!  So glad we all found each other!  :Luv:

The ARE my family!  Better than most housemates I've lived with, too!  (Certainly a great deal cleaner!)

Sometimes I miss them, especially when having a bad day.  I always look forward to getting home to them :)  I think Shanti kinda misses me, as she pays me a lot of attention when I'm home.

Proprietary cat food - Whiskas, Felix etc. wet food, plus a variety of dry.

If by that you mean cooking up some chicken or heart especially for them, then yes, occasionally.

Meesha hangs around at home sleeping mostly, but will sometimes go off on little jaunts with Sabby or sun herself in the garden.  Shanti juggles between home, the garden, and next door's house, just generally mooching about, and getting the neighbours to play with her!  Sabby likes hanging out with either Meesha or other cats in the neighbourhood - I have no idea where he goes, but he spends most of his day outdoors and out of sight.  He likes catching mice, though.  I know that someone (probably Sabby) sometimes takes it into their head to find each and every ball in the house and take them outside, some of which end up in the drain!  :shify:  If I go into the garden, nine times out of ten all three suddenly appear!

Mostly Whiskas or Felix, but they get bored with the same brands all the time, so I throw in the odd tin of Kit-e-Kat or Tesco's own, or something else for a bit of a change.  Dry food wise, it's usually what's on offer at Pets at Home - again, they get bored with the same stuff all the time.  Very occasionally they have pouches, but they're a treat, as I can't recycle the packaging.

how much money would you spend on your cat in a week?  (including treats and meals or toys)

I honestly couldn't say - I just go and do a bulk shop when I'm running out of something, and usually end up spending around £40 for litter, food, treats and the inevitable new toy.

They try to be from time to time!  Usually when they've had a 'run' of pouches, and hold out on the 'boring' tinned stuff until they realise if they don't eat it they won't get anything else!

No idea - would depend on why it's 'best', for a start.  Generally speaking, though, unless one of them had a particular dietary need, I wouldn't buy the most expensive just because it's supposed to be 'good' - with three cats I can't afford the best at all times (nor do I have the 'best' food all the time, either!)

would you say cats are more intelligent than people might think they are?  (any examples/reasons)

Absolutely, 100%!  People seem to think that dogs are more intelligent "because you can train them", but this is only dogs' pack instinct manifesting.  Cats are cleverer than that ... they don't do anything unless there's something in it for them!  My lot are trained, though ... they all use the scratch post, and are generally well behaved (except for the odd curtain climbing moment!).  They all know and respond to a variety of words ... cats are quite capable of doing this, it's just that most of the time, "dogs come when called, cats take a message and get back to you"!  My lot all know... no, down, up, bye bye, night night, hello, teatime, and Shanti knows 'mousie', and Meesha knows 'ball'.  They all respond to their own names, and I never ever shout, so it's not just tone of voice.  Meesha is especially intelligent, and will copy me - for example, she watched me pull the curtain aside so that I could look out the window, and straight after she did exactly the same thing, pulling the curtain back with her paw and peering round it.  She does that quite often now.  They all respond to gestures too - like if I want them to all go in the front room, I only have to point and say 'come on then' and they all trot in good as gold.  I haven't trained them to do that, they've just learned.  Shanti is very intelligent too, but often uses her intelligence for naughty purposes! (read her personality above as examples).  She has also worked out how to raise the blinds, but can't really get a proper grip on the cords.  Meesha likes me holding her up so she can turn the lights on and off, and has worked out how to make my decks go and stop (I'm a DJ in my spare time!).  Sabby will notice if I'm anywhere other than here, and immediately make a beeline for my computer chair as he has worked out that it must be empty if I'm somewhere else!  They can all open drawers (the ones with slots for handles), and will also open my wardrobe doors as they are strong enough to do that.  Rather than bringing me mice or birds, Meesha brings me leaves, I think because she sees me eating 'green stuff'.  I could go on!  (ooops, I have  :innocent: )

Good luck with your research :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 00:21:32 AM by Catjane »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 22:52:10 PM »
We are all cat lovers here and if you read around the site, especially Rainbow Bridge , you will see how much we love our cats  ;D

I have four cats and all were rescues, they came to me after my beloved Kocka went to Rainbow Bridge because I need another cat so badly.

They are called Misa (Misha), Sasa (Sasha), Franta and Ducha (Dooka)

MISA

SASA

FRANTA

DUCHA

Yes they all have personalitys , as do all cats

Misa is a gentle loving enormous cat, who loves to be the boss cat and instruct his meowmy what to do. He is still scared of other people due to his background but he is a quiet  extrovert who loves fun and is a happy cat. Sasa is a semi feral and I cant touch her but she is very intelligent and loves her creature comforts. She has all her own little ways but loves Misa and they trot off down the garden holding paws. The birmans are people cats and love attention, are very vocal , Ducha I call the punk cos he bounces around on his3 legs but he waits for me to go to bed so he can cuddle, I think both are quite extrovert

Misa and Sasa were needed after my first cat passsed to the Bridge, Franta and Ducha came about 5 months later cos I  always wanted a birman and these two needed a new home.

Misa, Sasa, Franta and Ducha are my family, as was Kocka before. People who love cats never live alone and cats are always part of the family

Definately and today I just popped to the shops and Ducha was watching for the car to come back from the window sill.  In the summer when I go out for the day they all tend to be near the door when I get home, just checking. I miss them terribly if I have to go away for 24 hours and will worry about them.

Food  :rofl: :rofl: Feix pouches and TechniCal biscuits and Purina One Bisciuts

No, my current cats only like cat food, but Kocka used to love chicken and lamb and other meat and would camp under the microwave or infront of the oven while they were being cooked.

Sleeping and playing with da bird. Misa and Sasa love to go in the garden and Misa will hunt mice and flies and anything that moves. Sasa likes to lie in the sun but also play with da bird, Ducha likes to sleep on my bed most of the day and Franta will folow me round like a little sheep and wants attention all the time.

Not known cos try to buy cat food in bulk when its on offer. Purina is about £12 a bag and lasts 4 weeks, Technical I buy on internet in a giant sack and it lasts just under 6 months £50 ish . Felix pouuches are over £3 a box of 12 and we need 10-11 boxes a month. Then there is cat litter at £12 a sack, and any toys or bedding. Misa likes one thing as a treat and they cost £1 a box and last a couple of weeks. Then of course there is insurance and that works out currently about £30 a month for the four of them, it was double that when my last insurer doubled the price last year.

answered above

see above

Yes they will only eat one type of food and buscuits and no human food

I already do that as far as I am concerned

People here who know cats know that they are very very intelligent. They learn quickly how to get their own way. You cant train a cat, cats train you. Misa will show me what he wants me to do, ie if he wants me to go somewhere with him, he will walk round my chair and out of room, if I dont follow he will keep doing it until I get the message. If he wants some treats he will sit and stare at me from the desk while I on the puta, if =nothinh happens he will getle tap my shoulder of arm.

Sasa the untouchable loves to play and will come into the room and squeak, means she wants me to go and play with her.
Ducha will lie on my head at night which forces me to move and then he will gradually take the whole pillow.

Kocka used to prefer me going out to get her rather than come in through the flap so she would het on the window sill outside the kitchen and bang on the window, if I didnt go out she would scrape her claws down the window.........sounds like chalk scraping on a blackboard........and when I went out she would climb on my shoulder and come in that way  ;D

Franta like to be in the greenhouse with me and when I go out he rushes up the garden to the green house and wail.

You didnt think you would get away without pictures did you  :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 23:07:41 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 22:25:48 PM »
oh thats ok  :hug:

Hope you enjoy going through mt never ending essay on my babies
  :evillaugh:

Offline cat_lover1368

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 22:24:49 PM »
No it's only a hypothetical scenario that I have to collect primary research from real cat lovers for!  not in connection with any existing cat company.   ;D

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 22:18:03 PM »
Can I just ask cat lover this wouldnt be for pets kitchen would it
xx

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 22:14:35 PM »
Hi Cat lover

I'm a very proud Mummy of 8 cats.... they range from1 9 months Daisy and Elle through too Milo and Bella who are the grand young age of 26

Each of them has their own personality.... Elle thinks she is a parrot and constantly jumps on my shoulder. She also goes to sleep suckling my chin through the night  :Luv2:

Daisy loves her Daddy to bits never ventures away from the house and will sit on the worktop staring into my eyes while I'm cooking. She sleeps on Daddy's pillow and when Daddy goes downstairs, in the bath or to have a pee Daisy follows

Sophie is my tortoiseshell... she wanders for hours sometimes and until about 2 months ago would only allow you too fuss her when she said so of late I suppose as she is getting older she is wanting a fuss. She doesn't really have a friend because she has always been a bit too paw handy  :evillaugh: she was found abandoned in a black bag so she is excused

Thomas turned up a week before bonfire night years ago was a scraggy matted boy that was scared of his own shadow. The vet said he had definitely been ill treated....he weighs 26lb but not through being too fat or greedy he has male/female hormones. He loves a cuddle unfortunately he loves to lay on our feet at night so with his weight you cant move  :evillaugh: he gives beautiful head kisses and loves my dogs to bits

Louis is the last remaining of a litter of 4 the others died from heart problems  :'( he wasn't a very cuddly cat but since his last brother died in June 2007 he loves a fuss but most of all he loves to bring me insects and frogs and drinks from the sink usually while I'm doing veg  :evillaugh:

Tabitha is Louis Mum, she never has really been a cuddly cat apart from myself and my husband. She was another rescue from a really wicked family that used her for theowing through a basketball net  >:( >:( she never comes upstairs for some reason but she comes to me every night before I go to bed for a snuggle with Mummy she doesn't venture very far but loves claiming the trees and running around with leaves

Milo and Bella are my precious wrinkles Milo sleeps on my shoulder every night.... he dribbles on my face most nights and i wake up with a wet ear. He hates the cold because he is old...sleeps a lot but I make him go out at least once a day and we sit on the decking having a chat

Bella has CRF she has a wonderful personality and wakes me several times a night for a fuss, it a bit difficult if its that time that Elle is sucking my chin because Milo doesn't move for anyone...... she has moment ever few days where she runs up the trees, not for too long and then goes and has a good old sleep

I could never ever be without my cats they are part of the family in fact they come first in all aspects of my life. I never have holidays because I cant bare to be without them ,

why did you choose to get your cat?  I didn't they all chose me, well through different sources of rescue

what do you feed your cat?  They all have different food Milo can only eat whiskers and it has to be blended with water because he has very few teeth. And a very sensitive tummy

Bella because of her CRF has to have water added to her feeds and few biscuits as possible no medication

Daisy, Elle, Thomas and Sophie all have whiskers and go cat biscuits..... Tabitha has to have watered food too as she used to get cystitis she is allowed a few biscuits

have you or would you ever make him/her a homecooked meal?  They all apart from Milo/Bella  have boiled chicken and steamed fish

what activities does your cat enjoy doing during the day?  they all have different routines really Daisy Elle play all day with each other and Thomas and at times Louis Sophie is out most of the day and Thomas half the day. Tabitha plays with the rabbits a lot she will be meeting Crystal my latest rescue bunny tomorrow Milo and Bella do a lot of sleeping because of their age but do love time outside as long as its warm

how much do you spend on your cat each week?  I really dread to think as I also have 3 dogs and 3 horses but a small fortune as I never buy them cheap food unless the quality of it is high. I get a lot of information on whats good for them etc on here. Any animal testing companies get nothing from me

Mark is a good source of information especially if its about choclit

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 21:56:59 PM »
Hi, I'm at Thames Valley University, London, doing a 3rd year Advertising assignment.  Any reason you want to know?

Yes, hun, because you are asking for help on our forum  ;)  and I guess we have a right to know.

By coincidence, and apropos of nothing, we have a member from the staff of Thames Valley University...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline cat_lover1368

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 21:51:32 PM »
Hi, I'm at Thames Valley University, London, doing a 3rd year Advertising assignment.  Any reason you want to know?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 21:48:11 PM »
Hi Cat Lover

Can you tell us which university you are studying at, what course you are doing and who your tutor is please?

:thanks:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 21:45:23 PM »
crikey, now you are making it hard!! :rofl:

Wet food is Felix with an occasional treat of some complementary food for special occasions (birthdays, christmas etc)

I have no idea what I spend on food as I tend to buy either on a monthly on-line shop or at the corner store if I run low..

Dry food is either IAMs or Eukanuba - with my last cats they were on Hills science diet due to old age and medical conditions, so basically whatever it takes to keep them healthy

I have had the good fortune never to have a fussy eater. Some have tried it on, but soon discover this is not a good strategy if they want to eat.

Cats are definitely intelligent. I have had cats who can follow detailed and quite complex instructions, can figure out difficult puzzles to get what they want, and who have the capacity to manipulate me to meet their wants ... and I am fairly alert to that sort of behaviour and do not encourage it.

I am sure other site members will be happy to respond when they find this thread ...

However I am off to bed now so any further questions will have to await the morning, lol.

Offline cat_lover1368

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 21:32:22 PM »
Thanks very much for answering the questions, your answers are perfect!  I am doing an advertising assignment for a new premium range of cat food, however the research is into the best way to reach cat lovers in media advertisements, such as how they really feel about their cat.  I have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind answering them... thanks again for your reply (if you know anyone else who would be willing to take part please direct them here)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 21:19:07 PM »
Always happy to support a student - what is the course you are studying, and what is the focus of the particular unit for which you are doing this assignment? To answer your questions ...

does your cat have a personality?  YES!!! OF course

I have two cats, one is Esther, a black moggy who was found pregnant in someones garden, taken into a rescue where she gave birth to her kittens and was finally adopted by me shortly after her last kittens were homed. She had been spayed and was still lactating. She arrived two days after Smidgen, who I will describe later. Esther is a sweet-natured cat who is a bit stand-offish in the cuddling department but who is always happy to welcome me and to accept greetings. She is also inclined to do things like initiate a game with something in the middle of the floor. If you try to participate in the game she will stop, so I generally let her get on with it. In short, her personality is retiring, playful and nurturing. When she arrived in the house she hopped out of her box and went straight over to my dog and greeted him by giving him a loving headbutt (see pic, taken five minutes after arrival)

Smidgen was four months old when he arrived from Chester (I live in Kent) and travelled down in his carrier in complete silence, sharing the back seat with the dog who he had met with his mother in Chester. He made it clear to the dog, on arrival that they were different species, but has clearly changed his mind as he and the dog now curl up together regularly and do things like synchronised washing (which makes me wonder if the dog is a cat or vice versa!!) He is a confident, outgoing cat who has taken full advantage of Esthers good nature and made her his substitute mother. I even caught him suckling her when they were first introduced. She washes him and generally mothers him. He has a personality like a small, mischievous boy. Will do all sorts of dreadful things but when he knows he is in trouble he comes up and smooches you to make it all better ...  :Luv:

he can also be quite abandoned and enjoys total relaxation

I have always had cats as an adult and would feel my life was incomplete without at least one cat around

As I live alone, I do consider they are part of my family, I am not sure why you would choose to define a single-person household as not a family ... That is what I am and have always been and my home is where my family lives. Most of my family has fur and four legs, that is all ...

Sometimes, if I am having a rotten day, but mine do not appear to fret or feel neglected - in fact Smidgen is sometimes late in arriving back, though they are often there to greet me.

what do you feed your cat? Good quality proprietory foods

have you or would you ever make him/her a homecooked meal?  Nope
what activities does your cat enjoy doing during the day?   Esther collects autumn leaves, and smidgen terrorises the small dog next door ...
how much do you spend on your cat each week?  Every evening and a large part of the weekend, though the dog gets time also - with an hours walk daily and weekend outings to interesting country parks and similar destinations with me and my current man ...

Hope this helps  ;D

Offline cat_lover1368

• Kitten
Help for Uni Assignment about cat lover please??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 20:59:45 PM »
Hi, i'm doing an advertising assignment at uni and need to start a discussion with true cat lovers about how they feel about their cats.  If anyone and everyone could help me out by responding to this post that would be great. 
Topics which should be discussed are... 

you get the general idea i hope.  any posts would be greatly appreciated thank you very much,  Cat_lover1368

Link to CatChat