Author Topic: Do i, Don`t i, ???  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
Re: Do i, Don`t i, ???
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »
ooh yes, spare room, another part of the house and a pen are all good ideas,  i didn't think of those!

This is all going in my ammo to put to hubby for getting a new little furbabe to keep my Mousey company  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 23:28:28 PM »
when we got the apprentices this year, they were kept in a pen in the living room while we were out or in bed so the older cats could do as they wished. When we were around the cat flap was closed and we were on manual door duty.
the pen was good 'cos at least they could all get used to being around each other while the kittens were safely locked up but I'm sure a spare room would be as good or else you could make the decision to lock them both in while you were not around and do the door duty to allow the existing one in and out on demand.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 23:22:41 PM »
You keep the kitten in another part of the house with litter tray and food and water, so it does not have access to the cat flap. Its quite hard sometimes I know but its possible.

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 23:04:05 PM »
How does it work if your resident cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, with access to a catflap during the day.  If you introduce a kitten then that kitten shouldn't go outside for a while, how would you do it?

Only asking as in the new year we're going to be looking for a kitten to keep my 15 month old furbabe company, but he's in and out through the catflap all day and we wouldn't want to kitten following him!  :-\

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 22:15:15 PM »
Hi Karen,

I had the exact same problem when we just had Nina, my OH convinced me to give it a go and we got Kiki.

I won't lie and say they are best friends, but i do think that Nina likes the company when we are at work. Had no fighting,just a bit of grumping from Nina.

You obviously love your furbabe and you could give another babe a lovely home.

Wizz's advice is fab and you just need patience!

Good Luck

xxxx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 22:10:22 PM »
I agree about getting a younger cat or kitten if possible.  I have two cats and Zephyr (Male) is definately the man of the house and a total mummies boys ... he will NOT tolerate anyone else on his patch (me) and can be very stroppy.  However I have had Rossi a 5 month old tiny little tortie female for 5 days and Zephyr has been so good with her.  Admitably she is quite a feisty little thing and doesn't get intimidated by him but he has totally accepted her and because she is little and non-threatening to him he has left her alone.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 21:31:44 PM »
Read the stuff on this site for help with introductions

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 21:27:55 PM »
Maybe contact your local rescue to see if you can foster a cat first? Although they should still be kept separate initially and introductions done gradually, esp as you dont know how yours will react. Cages can be better to keep animals separate as they can see and smell each other.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 21:26:24 PM »
Go for it - but probably with a younger cat so your furbaby doesn't feel threatened and can feel like she still rules the roost somewhat (not in a bullying way)

Just slow introductions - Archie my resident cat(9months) and Molly my foster (10) get on fine and Molly has only been here just over a week - there was some hissing and jostling for position but now they can coexist without issue.
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 21:24:39 PM »
get some feliway diffusers from the offset !!!

Offline michelle_b

• Adult Cat
  • Molly & Maisey
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 21:16:42 PM »
So long as you have patience, you'll never know until you try! She will probably be miffed for a while but so long as you don't give the new one more attention and with a little time it should be ok.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 21:13:56 PM »
I think you will never know until you try it....

Personally i have been lucky and introductions have been okay as long as you take it slowly, kept them seperated for a while ( normally a week or so) and take it from there..seperate litter trays etc

Sure youll be fine and sure everyone will agree two is better than one :)

Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline kitten (Karen)

• Kitten
  • x Tootsie x
Do i, Don`t i, ???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 21:06:51 PM »
Could i have your feedback on my delima,   

At the beginning of the year i decided it was the right time to get my forever fluffy friend, So i found her, she was a ex breeding queen and had been spayed, (good on the owners), She has been the best, very clean, and my best friend to be honest i have truley ruined her,   Now i  want another cos im smitted, but i have this thing in my head,  Dont do it because it because, my Tootsie wont like it as she gets all the attention, and i dont want to her to change she follows me everwhere,  But I want another pussy cat,   Help what shall i do?  Thank you xx

Link to CatChat