Author Topic: Neutering help.. Do you think this was fair?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Neutering help.. Do you think this was fair?
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
.  I told her i was  prepared to get the all done, but not without the female being booked into be done first....!

I get a few calls like this each week, If they are really stubborn  rather than say I wont give you vouchers for the males unless you agree to have the female done, I usually say I will send the vouchers for the males but if you don't mind I would like to send you the reasons why it really is necessary to get the female spayed ASAP. Usually it works and the females are spayed very soon after.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 23:49:07 PM »
Off topic but speaking of cats at work reminds me. A few months ago I was surprised to see a very sorry looking dirty little kitten in a cage in the post room at work. When I asked what it was all about it turned out someone had found it abandoned which I assumed was in work's underground car park.... but oh no, it was near their home at the weekend and not knowing what to do they kept it until Monday and brought it to work for their employer (an advertising agency) to sort out! Can you believe that??!!! Luckily the company was good enough to pay for a vet check and an employee who's cat was PTS a few months earlier adopted it!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 22:39:52 PM »
Glad you manage to bite your tongue, it can be hard though!! I am sorting out this stray/feral at work, and my boss said if it is being fed, why am I catching it to get it neutered??
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 22:32:59 PM »
My dad used to tell me horror stories of my great gran drowning the kittens in a bucket of water as they were born - and he used to try and rescue them but of course in his innocence only prolonged their agony. Having her cat neutered was unheard of in the sixties. I suppose its good that more people do understand that neutering is an option these days - just a shame its the idiots who think they can make a couple of quid selling kittens - then end up with 2 they can't get rid of - and lo and behold Mr and Mrs Rescue do the rest.
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 19:26:20 PM »
I think it is probable that there is a generational issue there - particularly amongst people who are less well-educated all around. People never used to get their animals speyed or neutered - if they had, we would not have the millions of feral cats out there. If they bred, then they stuck them in a weighted sack, and if they wanted a house cat, they got a female so they didn't have to put up with the smell ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 16:30:39 PM »
Deep breath Sharon!    :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: and a few of these  :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 15:59:23 PM »
This is why so many people shouldn't be allowed to have pets.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 14:56:19 PM »
is it a generation thing?  a few older people have asked how I manage to not having hundreds of kittens with having four cats in the house and they are always surprised when I say they are all neutered

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 14:52:16 PM »
The first lady on told me that the cats were from a lady that had died and were going to go to the RSPCA..but she "saved them" and decided to take them on but she couldnt really afford to have them all done.  I told her i was  prepared to get the all done, but not without the female being booked into be done first....!

Second call bloody cheek! but i didnt say that...

Third call, the told the man to keep his existing kitten in until it was spayed and he laughed.. Saying it was a big house and the kitten wasnt being left out.. I did say that "accidents" and he just make a funny comment... about he had loads of room for another cat but cannot find any kittens. To which i replied well it because everyone dumps older cats after Christmas and before the Christmas gift kittens get to 6 months and then get turfed out in favour of another kitten..

Really i could wack them around the head with a bat sometimes.. What is the matter with people!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 14:53:22 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 14:45:33 PM »
First woman obviously hanging off in hope the female is preg and she can make a couple of quid, second one defo cannot and should not get any money back after she's (done her own duty) and paid for her cat to be spayed (bloomin cheek of her !  )

third man, mmmmm hopefully before getting another cat he will of course have forked out for vaccinations and wormer plus set money aside for the neutering of the kitten he has already  >:(

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Neutering help.. Do you think this was fair?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 14:31:19 PM »
I deal with the neutering voucher for our branch of CP.. Had a call whereby someone has three cats 2 males under a year and 1 female.. Female "may be pregnant really not sure"... But when i offered to get them all done at a local vets, she didnt she said she would have have the males done first.. I said really it was important to get them all done... not just the males but the female would be the priority.. She wasnt that keen..!!
I suggested she books an appontment come back to me and i will issue the vouchers for all three.....!

At which point she said she would get back to me.. I gave her loads of blurb about kittens and neutering etc,etc, etc.. But it never sinks in does it...

I had a call this morning as well from a senior lady who had just had her cat spayed it cost a fortune and she wondered if we could supply a voucher to the vets to get some money back.. The cat had already been done... and she had paid in full... This tells me that she could afford to get her cat done so why would be issuing vouchers for her anyhows.........!!

Today i am livid at some people... I had a man ring who lived rurally and has a huge house he wants a kitten to go with his other 3 month old one.. I said we didnt have any kittens and to try another local rescue.. He told me that he had an they didnt have any either. I mentioned that what about another younger cat... He didnt listen but asked me where he could go an buy one!!  I probably told him we are a rescue org and dont actually like the idea of people buying animals when so many end up in rescue that never find a home and may be PTS.. He didnt answer...

I fear i am turning into a right battleaxe with people today....!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 14:31:48 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat