Author Topic: Feeding Dry and Wet food  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Feeding Dry and Wet food
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »
The adult PAH brand is bigger than JWB, and the Senior is small squares, although there Light food is a similar size to JWB - mine do prefer JWB than PAH, so although it is a bit more expensive, I shall continue to buy the two.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 23:35:01 PM »
Mine have dry down all the time and then the wet goes down morning and evening and stays there untill next batch.

Misa likes to have one mouthful of dry and then one of wet  ;D He gets quite upset if Sasa tries to get between the two dishes like she did tonight. She has her two dishes at the otherside and the birmans have theirs further down  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 23:27:46 PM »
most on here feed wet and leave dry down as well .

I don't!  :innocent: but then I don't see dry as proper food - I see it as 'treat' food.

I feed mainly a raw meat diet, 2 or 3 meals a day, with biscuits as a bedtime treat. I wouldnt mix wet (canned, pouch, raw or whatever) and dry in the same meal.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 22:49:02 PM »
One thing that really makes me angry is a friend of my daughters parents CANT BE DOING WITH CAT FOOD DISHES THEY STINK  >:(.....they live on cheap dry food when they THEMSELVES only  eat such things as lobster etc  >:( When I have been to collect my daughter I have yet too see their water bowls full and yet their cats never get anything wrong......not that they would notice  >:(

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 22:36:08 PM »
Haven't heard of dry one day wet the next most on here feed wet and leave dry down as well .

On Foods Personally speaking i ether keep an eye out for special offers see bargains section on here ;)    Or own brand wet asda or tesco asda goes down best their the same as wiskas or felix normal.  As for dry purina one , jwb   or ill make a special trip to morisons for a few of their best  chicken dry mary loves it  :) 

Any one know if pah do a own brand one that has small pieces pref round not triangle as mary has trouble eating any thing thats not small and round say jwb size

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 16:40:19 PM »
Yep simon has modelled his zooplus radiator bed in the other thread  :Luv:

Sadly Hills are not any better than Iams  :(

Arden Grange & Eagle Pack are 2 other cruelty free brands as well as Trophy  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 15:39:49 PM »
zooplus will prob have a radiator bed, dont think vet uk sell that type of thing.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 15:38:09 PM »
Steve - I have too read the truth about Iams through leaflets I recieved from Peta. I took that onboard and since adopting my cat I haven't even dreamt of buying anything from them.

Desley - thanks for the info, I will try mixing with water too.

Curlycatz and Mark - will check those websites and order the dry food from one of them. Will also see if any of those two websites have offers on the Radiator bed too.

Cheers all!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline coffeefilms

• Adult Cat
    • Last of the Scottish Wildcats film website
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 13:38:51 PM »
We almost always use Hills, it is expensive but very good, we vary wet food as it's more of a treat so tend to go for gourmet and luxury brands.

We're going to be trying out some stuff called Trophy Pet Food though, it's delivered to your door, our dog loves his and they're the only pet food company guaranteed no animal testing at any stage, plus the meat content is good and it's all natural great sounding ingredients, everyone should check them out, I love ethical companies; http://www.trophypetfoods.co.uk/

On that note, for anyone who didn't already know avoid Proctor and Gamble products like Iams which have appalling animal abuse records and a history of horrific mistreatment; anyone interested can read more here, but be warned some pictures and information are very upsetting; http://www.iamscruelty.com

Steve
The Scottish wildcat film; www.coffeefilms.com/scottishwildcats
The Scottish wildcat website; www.scottishwildcats.co.uk
The Mid Kent RSPCA website; www.midkentrspca.com

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 13:28:11 PM »
The essentials only come in Chicken and Tuna unfortunately (although if you buy the boxes, you get more tuna flavours, the others are prawn jelly and seafood jelly), but I get them quite a bit due to the price - same as a pouch of Felix. Never come across HiLife in gravy, but you can mix jelly foods with water too, just looks odd!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
Jameson REALLY loved the chicken flavour variety.... he was climbing my legs while I prepared his dinner. He finished it all off straight away and didn't touch any of the bits of his old food (i mixed the 2).

Does anyone know if Hi Life do pouches with gravy too? These ones were in jelly (chicken and tuna), because I ususally mix the gravy with water.

Desley knows the hilife range so you could pm her about the gravy question, the ones iv bought have always been in jelly, some are sloppier than others tho...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »
zoo plus do free delivery for orders over 29 quid btw..a 5kg bag of hills cost 25 quid so throw a toy in aswell  :rofl:

they stock other brands also plus VET UK is a good company to use esp for wormer etc as thats free delivery but you have to pay for foods (think its competative though)
VetUK do free delivery for food if you spend over £30 now. They are great for prescription food. About £5 a bag less than the vet for a 2kg bag. Worth doing a shopping list first though for Frontline etc as I always remember something after I place the order. Also VetUK usually deliver about 2 days after ordering.

PS - don't forget to go to their sites via one of the links so the rescue gets 5% commission  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:34:09 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:28 AM »
Jameson REALLY loved the chicken flavour variety.... he was climbing my legs while I prepared his dinner. He finished it all off straight away and didn't touch any of the bits of his old food (i mixed the 2).

Does anyone know if Hi Life do pouches with gravy too? These ones were in jelly (chicken and tuna), because I ususally mix the gravy with water.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 16:33:24 PM »
I haven't tried it yet but will do for his dinner! I did show him the new pouch and he gave it a few positive sniffs :)
I did like the price too! - do they do other flavours than tuna and chicken? Because those were the choices of flavour in my Asda!

Jameson really doesn't eat a lot (of the food I've been given him anyway) so will monitor his appetite for a few days and once I've completely changed the foods I should have a good idea of how much he eats.

I always leave dry biscuits in his bowl because he likes to nibble throughout the day.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 16:33:53 PM by jamesonsmum »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 16:23:11 PM »
I think the most common way is wet morning and night and dry left down for nibbling.

I dont give mine a bowl of dry as they would eat kilos everyday  :rofl: so they get 4 small wet meals with a little dry on the side. I have to feed more often to stop milly from puking  :sick:

Is he enjoying the hi life? Mine love the essentials and so do i as its 4 for £1  :wow:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 15:04:18 PM »
On these pouches it says on the back:

''Essentials from Hi Life is a complete pet food for adult cats''. (Ingredients: Chicken min.50%, Jelly, Tapioca, Vitamin & Minteral Supplements. Typical Analysis: Protein: 9.5%, Oils & Fats 2.0%, Fibre 0.1%, Ash 3.0%, Moisture 84.5%, Vit A 2,200 iu/kg, Vit D3 250 iu/kg, Vit E (as x-tocopherol) 50mg/kg, Copper (as cuprc sulphate) 1mg/kg.

There is a PAH near me, so will whizz round to see what deals are on at the moment. Cheers!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 14:51:33 PM »
Is the Hi-Life a 'complete' cat food?  I know some of the Hi-Life ones are 'complimentary' which basically means they should only be given as a treat and are not suitable as the sole diet.  A lot of people on here feed Natures Menu which is 70% meat, you can get it from Pets at Home and it's not that much more expensive than the likes of your 4 %ers (felix, Whiskas etc).  PAH often have a special offer on the multipack - 4 boxes of 12 for £13ish.  When L & R were kittens they had natures menu but I now feed them Bozita wet which is a high meat content food from Sweden.  You can find it in random pet shops but I get mine from Zooplus.

As for dry then Hills, Royal Canin, James wellbeloved, Burns and Pets at Home premium own brand are some of the best around.  I used to give my two James Wellbeloved but tried them on the PAH which is much cheaper but has virtually identical ingredients, it's nearly always on special offer aswell so great to stock up on.

If you order anything from vetuk or zooplus don't forget to click through one of the charity links for vetuk and the logo at the bottom of the page for Zooplus.  You order in the exact same way but the charity / Purrs rescue fund gets 5% of your total order value donated to them  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 14:58:39 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 14:50:32 PM »
Cool, will check them out!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 14:43:56 PM »
zoo plus do free delivery for orders over 29 quid btw..a 5kg bag of hills cost 25 quid so throw a toy in aswell  :rofl:

they stock other brands also plus VET UK is a good company to use esp for wormer etc as thats free delivery but you have to pay for foods (think its competative though)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 14:37:35 PM »
True, and I prefer buying in bulk. Will do a search, thankyou.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 14:31:06 PM »
you can do a search of the many places who sell and see if there are offers/lowest delivery etc.  Many petshops and vets of course will sell them so if you are passing then no delivery to pay.

I usually buy 5kg bag of hills as my lad eats this as his sole diet mainly (his preference ! ) and the 5kg works out abit cheaper than buying 2kgs.  seems expensive but when you work it out daily its not really that bad.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 14:27:00 PM »
Thank you, I will check those out. Is there a good place to buy these cheaper online as I've heard they're a bit pricey?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 14:24:10 PM »
a mixture of both daily is fine (never heard of alternating days myself)

there are several good quality dried foods but not really in supermarkets.  James wellbeloved/hills science (i use this) / royal canin / i think applaws may to dried ?

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Feeding Dry and Wet food
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 14:20:38 PM »
After reading up on cats and nutrition here, I discovered the food I have been giving Jameson doesn't have a high meat content (only 4%!)  so I have decided to start giving Jameson a better quality food with higher meat content. Today I bought Hi Life (Essentials) pouches (4 for £1 in Asda) to try out. I was adviced from someone here to start mixing it in with his old wet food and gradually wean him off it to avoid stomach upsets etc, so this is what I will do.

He is on a mixed wet and dry food diet, and I usually give him dry in morning and wet in evening. I know some people give their cats dry only on one day, and then wet only on the other day. What are the pro's and cons?

I will also switch his current dry food for another good quality make - any recommendations?

Link to CatChat