Author Topic: Smelly cats!  (Read 1859 times)

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
Re: Smelly cats!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 18:37:16 PM »
It has been mentioned geting a bit whiffy can be a sign your sat is unwell  is this right ?  :-:
 Mary is bit whiffy of late but i dont want to take her to the vets because she smels and look a like a loon she has no orther symptoms at all orther than that any tips ...

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 19:04:15 PM »
not just dreads, I have a colleague at work who I swear has not washed his hair since I arrived. THere are occasions when I find it incredibly hard to cope with the smell when we are collaborating at the computer ... :sick:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 17:37:46 PM »
Human dreads can get wiffy   :sick:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »
They are through the UKRCC.

The smell is a lot better since they dried and since I have made a start on their coats. I mean we were gagging in the drive home but now they only whiff if I am snuggling up close to them  :Luv2:.

The knots I cut out Oscar yesterday were pretty pongy so I think once their coats are sorted it will be ok!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »
Did you get the little ones from a rescue?

I know we would not have homed them until our vet had found out what the cause was.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 00:02:48 AM »
I can smell mary as soon as I or she enters a room She does have a gum problem the vet cant fix though
 I have a spray called Pet Fresh i got from the vets just spray it on my hands and rub into coat its pets safe that and the odd tea light seems to work mostly can get a bit whiffy  :sick:   Bathing is out the question dont have a bath any way  any one got any tips for whiffy cats

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 23:19:04 PM »
They have had patches shaved off already.
They are probably smelling a bit better already now they are nearly dry. Maybe cats are like dogs and they smell a hell of a lot worse wet?
 :thanks:

Don't think so as Xanthe smells fine when bathed - mind you that is only to depoo her nether regions so maybe comparative! Hope your two settle soon and you fix the smell issue!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 20:57:25 PM »
They have had patches shaved off already.

I actually got them still pretty wet today so I think what I am feeling in their fur may be the tangles from being washed and not yet combed through. Their coat is probably not too bad - I am far too use to a grooming an obsessed Balinese so thats probably half my problem and don't have a comparison!

They are probably smelling a bit better already now they are nearly dry. Maybe cats are like dogs and they smell a hell of a lot worse wet? I know they were shampooed this morning so maybe it is the smell of that combined with wet fur! :shy:

I have them booked in for the vets next week - thought I would let them settle first - so if still a problem will bring it up then. In the meantime I will try and brush out the wee tangles.

:thanks:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:47:17 PM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 20:49:21 PM »
Was about to suggest that BC. Definitely get the knots removed/shaved if you have to and once you know what you're dealing with see the vets for some treatment if there is an infection.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 20:47:33 PM »
If their coats are knotted that is probably the smell source. Knots close to the skin can create a humid atmosphere and fungal infections can exist there. Suggest you either get them groomed or clipped soonest so it does not cause any more problems ... surprised the vet did not suggest it ...

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 20:40:02 PM »
It is def not their teeth as my last wee man had that problem and I know the smell only too well. MY friend who is from the highlands thinks it smells like manure and her old history teacher - who was a farmer lol!!

They have been at the vets and fully checked as recently as the 5th of Feb and foster Mum said they came with it - so surely the vets would have picked it up!

They are on Royal Canin so I don't think it can be that!!

Their coats are quite knotted - maybe the pong is in them!!! ;D

It is just very bizarre - have spoke to all my cat mad pals and no one has came accross it before. Maybe it will settle down!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 20:28:57 PM »
The Corporal's sometimes a little niffy but he needs help cleaning the sides of his mouth and his eye area. The other thing it might be worth checking is their teeth. There's quite a distinctive smell when they have dodgy teeth and it might be worth checking out.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 20:22:37 PM »
My first guess would be some sort of fungal infection affecting their skin - cats don't stink, so it does have to be health-related. Could also be dietary -what were they eating at hers?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Smelly cats!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 20:13:50 PM »
Hello all - I have just collected my two lovely fur babies who so far are settling in quite well. Both have eaten and whilst Oscar has not ventured out from under the kitchen table, Edgar is strolling about like he has always been here.

The only problem is they are a bit pongy to say the least - like really bad!!! The smell is quite hard to describe - a bit like the elephant pen at the zoo!! I am not exagarating as my friend that drove me to collect them has had to spray her car and it seems to come in waves if they are near you!  :Luv2:

Their foster Mum said they came with the smell and it hasn't gone - and she had them for 4 months!!! They had a bath this morning at hers and it still seems to be there - and given that she has had them 4 months I am wondering whether it will ever go!!!

Any ideas - not really health related I know but best category I could think of!!

I am used to cats smelleing just gorgeous so this is all very strange lol!! :evillaugh:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat