Author Topic: Tips on how to de-flea please!  (Read 2298 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Tips on how to de-flea please!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 20:13:13 PM »
I use frontline and I follow the instructions and put it in two places so I must be a clever cloggs and Bonnie must be a little angel cos we manage to get it right.  :yayyy: :yayyy: :cheeky: :cheeky: :disco:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 18:20:45 PM »
I dont think Stronghold says that either but have only ever done it in one place, whats good enough for the vet is good enough for me.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 15:49:03 PM »
Do none of you do what the instructions say, which is to do it in two separate parts of the neck? I do admit to having no idea why, and I know my vet doesn't do it that way, but am curious. I try to - Molly needs doing tonight!!

I'm pretty sure that Advantage doesn't say that (or didnt' the last time I used it) which is what I use.  But I really don't know how on earth you'd manage to get it in 2 separate places.  It's such a small pipette that I think it would be very difficult to squeeze out only half so that you had some left to put on another place.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:55:39 AM »
Do none of you do what the instructions say, which is to do it in two separate parts of the neck? I do admit to having no idea why, and I know my vet doesn't do it that way, but am curious. I try to - Molly needs doing tonight!!

That's assuming the cat in question hasn't scarpered after the first drop to be able to locate the second bit in another place  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 21:32:50 PM »
Its really awkward sometimes to get it centrally at the back of the neck....I always think dead on then when the cat moves its very over on side!  :shy:

I usually gentally rub the skin via the pipette once to double check its on there also!  ;)

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 21:01:07 PM »
It makes me feel so much better knowing that i'm not the only 1 who's having/had problems de-fleaing :rofl:..i dread the date coming round on the calender but now i will try all the advise that you have all kindly given...& fingers crossed i can too master this ritual :rofl:
Kocka used to smell the open tube from another room  :rofl: :rofl:
i reckon Snooch does too, or even hears the breaking of the seal on the pipette..& then it becomes like a benny hill chase around the livingroom :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 17:53:39 PM »
Kocka used to smell the open tube from another room  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 16:26:34 PM »
I have to do this on my own. I usually try to open the pipettes while the cats are eating, then sit one of my cats on my lap, stroke and fuss her into a relaxed state, then grasp her GENTLY round the neck with my left hand (right handed) and part the fur with the fingers of my right. Before she realises what I'm up to, I squirt the Frontline onto her skin and let her go.

I usually keep them confined in the room I'm in for about an hour so that I can check that they are not grooming.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
I hold the pipette in my hands for a few minutes first. This warms it up to blood heat and doesn't make them jump so much when it goes on.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I did Max's flea treatment this morning, as soon as the first drop goes on, he jumps about a foot in the air desparately trying to shake it off ........ then I have to spend the next 10 minutes trying to catch him to put the other half of the tube on  :rofl:

He's got such thick fur that its sometimes hard to ensure it goes completely on the skin, but I guess some is better than none, and being indoors anyway its more of a precaution should any nasty fleabeas come in on my clothes from outside  :tired:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 22:49:22 PM »
Open pipette and have it reafy to grab, play nice stroking the head and neck, wiat till they seem relaxed when you have aprted the fur keep stroking, grab flea stuff and squirt fast, with it as close to neck as possible.

If some goes on the dur just leave it.

Go back and rest while they run away, and then they will come back wanting to love you.

Its the alcohol in it that they hate cos it is cold when it lands on them, if it was warm they proberly wouldnt notice.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 22:13:33 PM »
If you have to do it alone then the only option is to be very firm!  I spent the best part of an evening chasing my two round the room the first time I did it on my own, I have now perfected it...

I pick one up and put him on the kitchen work surface, I'm right handed so I tuck him under my left armpit and squeeze quite hard to keep him there - almost like an accordian.  With my left thumb and forefinger I part the hair on the back of his neck (it's easier if you wet your thumb and finger very slightly), the pressure from my arm is keeping him nice and still on the worksurface.  I then squeeze the (already opened) pipette onto the little line of skin that's visible.  Let him go and repeat with the other one - takes just a few minutes for both of them!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 22:11:03 PM »
I go for the pin em to the ground option.  There's no way I can sneak up on my 2 when they're asleep.  I used to get it all over the fur too, but think I've got the hang of it now.  However you approach them, the secret is the part the fur and place the tube completely flat and pressed firmly against the skin.  Squeeze out the contents and release.  Don't move the tube a fraction until you're done squeezing and have released pressure on the tube  ;D  I think I used to sort of move it away from the skin a fraction to see whether it was all out before I'd applied it all, and that's how I got it on the fur.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 22:05:45 PM »
I wait until Bonnie is really comfy and half asleep and then I play with her ears and just gently pretend to stroke her but I am actually pulling her fur up ready to empty it out on her - I agree with MM about not lifting the pipette up, hopefully she will think it's just another of your fingers when it's against her skin. Once the deed is done I carry on stroking her so that she doesn't feel I was just using her!!!   :evillaugh:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 16:56:01 PM »
If you get a friend to hold her still it will make it easier to part her hair and apply it. If you wipe some off it wont be as effective flea control.

When you put the pipette to her skin, squeeze it out without lifting it up.

If she does manage to lick it she will dribble alot :drool;

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 13:51:36 PM »
Admittedly, it took me a few times to get the hang of ''The Art of De-fleaing''....

I discovered that it is nearly impossible to do it when Jameson is awake - so I wait til he is sleeping - he usually starts his sleep lying on front, curled up so that his whole neck is at display and this is when I seize the moment.
I use his comb and my fingers to separate the fur until I can see the skin and then skillfully squirts on the liquid along the fine line of visible skin. It always seems like quite a lot of liquid so sometimes it's neccessary to separate more fur in order to finish all of it.

It is a bit hard to explain but I hope I made (some) sense!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
Tips on how to de-flea please!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 13:39:55 PM »
Before i start i just want to apologise because i worry over the slightest thing when it comes to snooch...i'm a neurotic 1st time mum :rofl: :rofl:

Can anyone give me tips on how to use frontline spot on flea treatment..whenever i try to do it Snooch seems to know what it is & she'll sit still until the liquid hits her skin & then she moves..it always ends up with her fur being wet & then i'm watching her like a hawk thinking that she's going to be able to reach it to lick it off & become ill :sick:, i wipe off the excess liquid but i still panic..i've just done it now & i'm worrying myself stupid :(

Link to CatChat