Author Topic: human exhaustion = feline invigoration!  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
Re: human exhaustion = feline invigoration!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 08:23:52 AM »
don't think I would be bothering to look for scars in that case - I would be off to the vets for the big cut asap. I think you may be right it does sound like a girl in heat to me...

She's booked in for Friday anyhow. Vet couldnt find a scar when she had a feel.

She is doing this then  :rofl:

VERY DEFINITELY!!

IF she is unneutered, you mustn' have any unneutered males about as she has outdoor access - but females normally wander to find one.

She's being confined to quarters till after her op - much easier to cope with her wailing than going on a hunt for her and the worry that she's met someone! On one side of me is a neutered female and on t'other a neutered male so yesterday sshe was away for 4 hours till she chose to grace me with her presence again. :) Silly girl........ :)
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 07:42:31 AM »
IF she is unneutered, you mustn' have any unneutered males about as she has outdoor access - but females normally wander to find one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 19:25:43 PM »
She is doing this then  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 19:17:10 PM »
don't think I would be bothering to look for scars in that case - I would be off to the vets for the big cut asap. I think you may be right it does sound like a girl in heat to me...

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 18:58:03 PM »
<snip>
I dont know what experienced peeps with cats not nuetered think but it sounds slightly suspicious to me that she has become very noisy after a couple of weeks. Does she roll about on the floor and sticke her tail end up or show signs of wanting to mate?
<snip>

<chuckles with giggles> Oh yes she flaunts her rear end and does 'doggie paddle' with her back legs while resting on her front end and bum and tail raising ever upward! And she's rolling over onto her back (and off the settee more than once) demanding tummy rubs. She's got the most cute soppy grin when she's on her back too. :) My niece came over at weekend and Bubz luxuriated in over 30mins of near orgasmic attention as Meg tickled Bubz's tum.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 17:34:54 PM »
I think that she has been with you such a short time, she needs time to settle and trust you.

I dont know what experienced peeps with cats not nuetered think but it sounds slightly suspicious to me that she has become very noisy after a couple of weeks. Does she roll about on the floor and sticke her tail end up or show signs of wanting to mate?

I can understand how frustrating it must be for you not to be able to get up and go see if she is Ok or cuddle her and of course you PA is there to look after you and not cat sit  :rofl: :rofl:

I hope that this gets resolved and that she settles but suspect that at least part of this is only being with you such a short time.

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
How long have you had Bubz?

I have had her a month Gill and this is the second period when she has been really noisy! Last time was 2.5 weeks ago and I put it down to the settling in period.

I wouldnt be booking her in for an op, this really doesn't sound like hormonal. If she was yowling due to wanting a mate, she would be escaping as soon as you let her out, and not coming back till she was 'satisfied', and would then be quiet. As you've only had her a month, it is still very early days in the settling in period. I have found a way to get my fosters to get through the night without crying, they just have access to all rooms apart from mine (purely cos George wants to go on the bed, and then Molly growls at him), but they do cry during the day when they are left, i either ignore them, or if they have done it so long I can't ignore them anymore, get told to shut up. Is there anyway you can shut her in a downstairs room with a nightlight and the radio playing? I would also be tempted to try feliway.

Bubz isnt on her own in the daytime Des, and she does have the run of the bungalow (except my PAs* room). I have tried to ignore her at night and shouting at her but nothing works at all.

The nightlight helped (or she is just calming down again) but I need the certainty that she is actually spayed. You have no idea how frustrating it is to have to lie in bed and try to call her back to my room without the ability to go to her to caress her and try to calm her that way.

Helen

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 07:57:22 AM »
I wouldnt be booking her in for an op, this really doesn't sound like hormonal. If she was yowling due to wanting a mate, she would be escaping as soon as you let her out, and not coming back till she was 'satisfied', and would then be quiet. As you've only had her a month, it is still very early days in the settling in period. I have found a way to get my fosters to get through the night without crying, they just have access to all rooms apart from mine (purely cos George wants to go on the bed, and then Molly growls at him), but they do cry during the day when they are left, i either ignore them, or if they have done it so long I can't ignore them anymore, get told to shut up. Is there anyway you can shut her in a downstairs room with a nightlight and the radio playing? I would also be tempted to try feliway.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 21:08:04 PM »
How long have you had Bubz?

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 12:08:23 PM »
I've tried that, but still the yowling!

I've booked her in for an op on Friday ....... only 3 more nights from hell! Bought a night-light which may reasure her a little in the meanwhile.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
What about letting her have loads and loads of exercise and then a supper before bed (Da Bird???) hopefully then she will be very tired and sleep through?

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I would try leaving a very low voltage light on for her, the light of the numbers on my alram clock are like bloomin beacons!......yellow.
I suspect at night its the quietness she is scared of would a radio talking at min volume keep you awake in the bedroom?
I think it would be sad to leave her all by herself.
I woould definately leave the bedroom door open and have some biscuits in the bedroom, with maybe a litter tray just outside the door for her.
I think she is likeley to be neutered cos like Des says if this only happens at night.
I think if you shut her inanother room she will get worse, she needs time to learn that night is for sleeping and there is nothing scary cos she is free to move around if she wants. She just has to get used to the lay of the house and be able to find her way back to bed.

I have problems sleeping with radio/sound in my room Gill, and she just guzzles dry food as soon as it goes down! I've tried giving her full reign of the house, i've tried keeping her with me - the result is exactly the same, yowling under every 2 hrs for anything from 15 45 mins. :(

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
Then what do I DO? Des? I cant have my PAs exhausted every day!

How long do cats normally stay in season if unmated, and what times of year do they come into season more often?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:05 AM »
Ah right, it came across as just night time in your post. If it is an every day thing, then again, I wouldnt be thinking hormonal, cats come into season for around 5-7 days, and then stop (although at certain times of year, can come into season every couple of weeks). And if it was due to being in heat, she wouldnt be coming back home so quickly, she would be out looking for a mate. It sounds like she needs a lot of reassurance.
Please spay your cat

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »
<snip> If she is only doing it at night, I wouldn't be thinking it is hormonal personally.

No Des its 24/7! last night it was every 2 hrs!  Night is infinitely worse tho'

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 00:05:30 AM »
I would try leaving a very low voltage light on for her, the light of the numbers on my alram clock are like bloomin beacons!......yellow.

I suspect at night its the quietness she is scared of would a radio talking at min volume keep you awake in the bedroom?

I think it would be sad to leave her all by herself.

I woould definately leave the bedroom door open and have some biscuits in the bedroom, with maybe a litter tray just outside the door for her.

I think she is likeley to be neutered cos like Des says if this only happens at night.

I think if you shut her inanother room she will get worse, she needs time to learn that night is for sleeping and there is nothing scary cos she is free to move around if she wants. She just has to get used to the lay of the house and be able to find her way back to bed.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 18:48:46 PM »
we use tattoos in Oz also - it does make life easier. But if you are planning to show them after they are neutered, you can elect not to have them tattooed ...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 18:41:07 PM »
Sadly there is no easy way to tell if a female is spayed, I wish they would do some kind of tattoo like some parts of the US, that way if they ever came into rescue, it would be easy to tell. If she is only doing it at night, I wouldn't be thinking it is hormonal personally.
Please spay your cat

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 16:11:46 PM »
Apart from trying Feliway, I would also take her to the vet. It could be she wasn't spayed properly.  :shify:

I'm seriously considering getting them to check surgically as vet said she cant feel any scars: last time they relied on scarring it turned out to have been another injury that happened to be in the area of any surgical scar!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 15:55:09 PM »
If she doesn't like the dark and quiet maybe you could try putting her in another room with a little plug-in night light and  a radio on very quiet (cats have excellent hearing so it can be  quiet enough not to disturb you but will give her a bit of comfort), litter tray and a warm snuggly bed.
It's worth a go.

I have to have the radio on in daytime simply because she hates silence and the noise of me typing isnt enough for her!!!! LOL

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 14:56:52 PM »
Apart from trying Feliway, I would also take her to the vet. It could be she wasn't spayed properly.  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 14:00:39 PM »
I think I would be trying a nightlight - low down near the floor so it does not disract your eyes. handy for you if you need to get out during the night also ...

It would be sufficient for her to find her way back to you if she leaves the room also ..

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 13:53:10 PM »
If she doesn't like the dark and quiet maybe you could try putting her in another room with a little plug-in night light and  a radio on very quiet (cats have excellent hearing so it can be  quiet enough not to disturb you but will give her a bit of comfort), litter tray and a warm snuggly bed.

It's worth a go.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »
Ah right.
Please spay your cat

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
I've tried that but she still shrieks when she cant find her way back to bed! ;(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »
Do you have to have your bedroom door shut? If it could be left partly open, that might help, as she would be able to come and go as she pleases.
Please spay your cat

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
human exhaustion = feline invigoration!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
I've had Bubz for a month now and she is yowling at night with tedious monotony. I could maybe cope if I was able to get up to let my girl out of my room but it needs my disturbing my PA* to do it.

Bubz is over a year old and a small cat. I got her from Cats Protection who took her into their care after she was found in a shed/garage and she hates the dark and silence which is why she sleeps in my room. I'm feeding with wet and dry at the vets suggestion, and as far as we know she was spayed by her previous owner when she was microchipped, but there is conflicting info on this matter. She is going outside now but keeps popping back to the house, so she's relaxed about being home with me.

Any ideas about how I can get more sleep would be very appreciated by me and my PAs.

Helen
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:09:41 PM by Helen_A on behalf of Bubz »

Link to CatChat