Author Topic: would it be ok?  (Read 2082 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: would it be ok?
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 18:11:11 PM »
He probably vomits cos it is too rich for him. 3/4 pouches a day is quite high - although it is the manufacturers recommended amount. Each pouch is 100g, so 4 is equivalent to one tin of food (again, what they recommend, but I struggle to get one cat to eat a full tin in one day). You can feed a completely wet diet with no harm, it is complete food, and at teh end of the day, the high meat content foods are relatively new, all the cats in their teens/late teens would have been fed Whiskas and the like to start with.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 17:58:02 PM »
one problam there christine NM tends to make him vomit,dunno why though :tired:

Not the best suggestion I shall make this year, then  :-:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 17:46:57 PM »
one problam there christine NM tends to make him vomit,dunno why though :tired:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 16:28:51 PM »
Can you get / will Grwndi eat Natures Menu?  A helping of that is 100g and you could probably feed him three a day - it is a complete food - so he would feel he was getting a lot of bulk.  It is very high meat / fish content too.

A tip that others have given me is to add some warm water to it to make it more gravified, which would increase the volume even more without additional calories for Grwndi.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 16:20:27 PM »
but if I was to feed him (and others) on say 3-4 pouches of whiskas a day (whats the equivalent in tins??) of say whiskas,felix baring in mind they aren't the highest in protein content,would they have the nutrients they need?  I don't want them lacking in something that feeding wet/dry would if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the tips so far guys :)
Love me,love my animals.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
i would try a purely wet diet, and if possible, giving him smaller portions more often, so he isn't eating too much more, but he thinks he is. And a chat with the vet might help too, I know they told my neighbours to monitor their dog when she was on steroids (she was already overweight though).
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 17:19:33 PM »
I would speak to your vet and see if they have any suggestions, the steroids will make him feel hungry so if you cut his food he will think a famine has arrived. Its a difficult one!

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 17:05:37 PM »
Him,Ging and Rameses have say a mug full of dry every morning between them but Grwndi lately has gotten big and I'm really concerned about him :shy:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 16:17:25 PM »
Do you give him much dry Gwen?

Clapton eats a minimum of 6 pouches a day and he isn't overweight - he has a little extra girth but after last year when he wouldn't eat at all, I'm not complaining. I got him eating dry a couple of weeks ago but it was a fad and he won't eat it now
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 15:55:58 PM »
Statistically, wet food only diets do help cats lose weight, but as he is indoors, it also depends on the amount of activity he's doing. I would say that if he's in good health it might not be a bad idea but to only give dry as a compliment to the rest.

I would be a good idea to check with your vet though Gwen as he's getting on in age so maybe a healthcheck is best?  :hug:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
would it be ok?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 15:46:11 PM »
My Grwndi is on steroids and is currently just piling the weight on as he's indoors more,he has some jwb in the morning,pouch in afternoon and evening,would putting him on an all pouch diet be ok?  bare in mind wet food wise I only get whiskas,felix,occasional nm or hi-life.  I don't want him to lose out nutritionally wise but want him to lose some weight :tired:
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat