Author Topic: Volunteering for animal charity abroad for a holiday, anyone done it?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Volunteering for animal charity abroad for a holiday, anyone done it?
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 16:23:40 PM »
That monkeys banana always makes me laugh  :evillaugh:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 19:12:06 PM »
I worked for a wild animal sanctuary in Bolivia 2 years ago, its rewarding but hard work. I always wanted to work with big cats, but the good think is you get the chance to choose which animal you want to work with, there are monkeys, birds,...all rescued from circus, zoo,markets and all sorts . The place called Inti Wara Yassi, if you want to have a look on thier sight and only if you want to travel to SA! In order to work with big cats you have to be prepared to stay minimum of one month, but its a life time experiance :),Here are few picture of the Puma i was lucky enough to look after and the little mono which use to visit me for treats everyday. ;D, They always well come volunteers.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 20:24:12 PM »
milete hellenika? if not, then talking in schools could be a challenge!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 20:11:10 PM »
Thanks people! I was looking at the placement in Greece (Athens actually) as they want people to go and talk to kids in schools etc not only help with animals in the santuary..!

I have done a few conservation hols abroad (Africa) and realise that people have different values on animals in different countries.

So although not minding helping out with animals, using my other skills would be welcome.. May send it off, they want someone to help in the office as well, which is just as rewarding as working with animals knowing you are doing some good..

Thanks for all the posts, more pls if you have them..

I have also be looking at mozambique helping at a local community centre, so abit different.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 19:14:25 PM »
There is a cat sanctuary in Cyprus, www.Malcomcat.org run by a group of ex pats of course ;). They are always on the lookout for volunteers to help out. They started out on a dry patch of land and thanks to all their hard work have now grown to quite a large organisation with proper pens and an onsite vet I believe. The plus side is they are now housed on the local military base and come under British law. So not only do you get cats but also men in uniform :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 19:03:31 PM »
This is something me and Lainey have been discussing the last couple of years, I would love to help with the tnr programmes abroad, but haven't got my numbers down enough as yet  :sneaky: 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 18:41:15 PM »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 18:38:29 PM »
talk of the devil  :evillaugh:  

doh... im sure it was a lesley..who is lesley on purrs ?  cant even think of the thread title either but it was in the non cat chat section.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 18:38:04 PM »
I think if you are easily distressed by some of the posts on this forum, then you should think long and hard about it. You wll be confronted with some fairly awful things. But if you think you have the emotional resilience to get past that (and remember you would not have your normal support network around you) then it would be incredibly rewarding ...

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 18:37:23 PM »
yeah i think it was lesley (you know that has the rescue on here) i'm sure it was her that went off to help with turtles a few months ago.

It would have been nice if it had been me, but then somebody would have had to spend their holiday looking after my lot :rofl:  Unfortunately, due to 27 cats and 7 dogs, I don't do holidays. ;)
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 18:35:39 PM »
One of the Vet nurses I worked with went to Sri Lanka after the Tsunami to help an animal charity - she said it was very rewarding but heartbreaking - not all cultures treat animals the way we like them to be treated. :(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 18:35:21 PM »
yeah i think it was lesley (you know that has the rescue on here) i'm sure it was her that went off to help with turtles a few months ago.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 18:29:21 PM »
A friend of my sisters did this, in Spain. She ended up taking 2 dogs home. I'm not sure if the shelter had cats also but can find out if you like.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 17:19:48 PM »
I found this this may be of an interest to you.  As you may know Rome is famous for street cats, many of them live pretty happily and in good condition thanks to organizations and volunteers like them (generous international tourists contribute as well!)  This is a group of people who care for the cats who live around the remains of Torre Argentina, one of the hottest cat spots in the historical centre.

http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 16:34:39 PM »
Somewhere in the depths of my favourites folder i have some charity sites who need people to help them TNR ferals.

Depends if you want a break away from cats  :evillaugh:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Volunteering for animal charity abroad for a holiday, anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 15:35:00 PM »
I am looking to do something different this year hols wise. Found this website and i has a few vol opportuniteis for charities in Europe and further afield. Has anyone done this kind of thing before and if so was it rewarding...?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 18:33:35 PM by Tan, Reason: Link removed by website owner request »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat