Author Topic: Words our cats know!  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Words our cats know!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
The boys know 'mouse mouse' which means da mousy is coming out to play, they both know 'gentle' which means they have to keep their claws in while playing with my hands or feet.  They do know their names but only respond to them if the Whiskas temptations are being rattled at the same time  :evillaugh:  Riley knows what 'No' and 'Down' mean but he chooses to ignore me 99% of the time  :innocent:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 17:58:01 PM »
Like I said, Duchess, you tell them what to do and they do what they like.  :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 17:46:22 PM »
Unlike other posts my cats know the meaninbg of "NO" said in a stern voice.

Sadly, they intreprete it as "Go ahead darling and carry on doing what you are doing you clever little thing"

I think something got lost in translation.  :(

I love that and sooooo true  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 17:45:31 PM »
COSMO...DOWN!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 17:43:50 PM »
Sam and Polly understand everything I say to them, they just choose what to take notice of. "Me no understand..." is what they say when they don't like what I'm saying to them.  :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 15:21:45 PM »
Claudius could understand quite complex instructions like 'no, I don't have your dinner here, it is in the bowl in the other room' said while pointing. He would then go to the other room and eat his dinner. ;D

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 15:18:26 PM »
Billy knows the phrase "OK Billy, out you go" for when we have to set alarm if we are going out as he can't stay in one of the rooms due to sensor. He responds immediately and it is said in a soft tone (we always speak very softly to Billy) so I'm pretty sure it isn't tone that he is responding to. 

Same with mine - we don't have shouting in our house :)  Well, not me, anyway!  Shouting is reserved for serious emergencies.  I once asked a friend to leave because he was shouting - I won't have it!  >:(  (Unless I'm having one of my wild parties, that is!  Chance'd be a fine thing!)

It's great how different kitties have different ways of communicating isn't it?  Meesh is one of those who tells you everything she is doing, with a broken 'chatter'.  Sabby is the strong and silent type, unless you pick him up when he doesn't want you to, then he whines like a petulant kid!  The big girl!  Shanti mostly chirrups :)  If any of them want anything, they usually go to sit by whatever they want (door, ball or mat (to play), etc) and look at me expectantly :)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 15:02:01 PM »
Unlike other posts my cats know the meaninbg of "NO" said in a stern voice.

Sadly, they intreprete it as "Go ahead darling and carry on doing what you are doing you clever little thing"

I think something got lost in translation.  :(

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 14:11:41 PM »
Ollie will look if you call him and they both know "no" but ignore it.  The dog biscuit going in the bowl is the call sign for everyone to rush into the kitchen and have loud conversations.  The only one who pays the slightest attention to me is Padraig.  The cats........well you know

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 13:44:36 PM »
Mine respond well to their names and also 'Da Bird' which they know means playtime either with that or the laser toy.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
Billy knows the phrase "OK Billy, out you go" for when we have to set alarm if we are going out as he can't stay in one of the rooms due to sensor. He responds immediately and it is said in a soft tone (we always speak very softly to Billy) so I'm pretty sure it isn't tone that he is responding to.  He's really very bright and very wary of causing any offence. He's a little treasure.

Tom responds (quite loudly now due to deafness) whenever we speak (shout) anything to him; ditto with Freddie but not sure Tom or Freddie understand words.  Freddie squeaks constantly (very high pitched; he's such a big girl's blouse :evillaugh:). It was something I raised with the vet when he first arrived as I thought he might be ill but he's just a real chatterbox, he needs to tell us what he's up to all the time.  Whenever he comes in, he is running and squeaking as if to say "hi everyone I'm home and guess what's just happened...." :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
Max seems to understand quite a few works, but its probably more the tone of voice he responds to.

He always responds to sheepmouse, breakfast, ooobie (one of his nicknames), and does understand No, but usually ignores that  :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:10:38 AM »
Molly will have conversations with you, you can ask her something and she sometimes responds in a tone that sounds liek eihter yes or no. Rolo knows a few words too, and sometimes talks back to you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »
Lexy ignores most words.  She particularly ignores "no" and "Lexy"  :evillaugh:

However, "baby" and "luvies" she chirps for. So can't be all bad  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 00:57:37 AM »
No, for obvious reasons....up up, when I want them to jump up like on the sofa next to me etc.....sit, when begging.....lie down, I got Yagga to know this word as he used to enter the house through a window that open out and up!

They all know their names  :Luv: and nick names also!  :innocent:

I think the fridge has a language known to cats also....every time they hear the suction decrease they come running!  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 00:38:03 AM »
Misa knows his name but often choosed to ignore it when he doing something that he wants to do but I dont! Sasa also knows her name and Ducha will just ignore most things but I discovered recently that he will react to Ducha Wells, sometimes!

Before he came to me he was called Wellington but I was told he didnt know his name and then another email referred to him as Wells also unanswered by Ducha, but he does know it. Ducha has been ill since Friday and has now learnt to moan, gets him food in the bedroom brought to him by hand.................did I say somewhere that my birmans where not as intelligent as birmans are supposed to be!

Misa has taught me a word which is mrrrrroww, and that is a mouse, a real live one.  ;D......well many , we had 10 in two weeks last summer.

He now has a huge vocab of chatters and meows and he seems to be adding to it all the time. Sasa just sorta squeaks but I am starting to recognize it as a very high pitched meow and she also squeaks to Misa and they have quite a conversation, she summons him and me to play also.

Misa is a very clever cat and compared to when he first came here, he now knows so much more and is learning alll the time , ways to get me to do what he wants.  :shify: :shify:

He will walk round my chair and rush out of a room expecting me to follow, or come and chatter to me and leave. If I dont follow hw will just keep on repeating this till I go with him.  ;D

Franta is nearly deaf but he is a real meower and a whiner and shouts at me for often no reason I can tell.............sigh. I reckon I must just be a bad human  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 00:02:33 AM »
Kylie knows her own name AND the tone it is said in  :evillaugh: - also "Fish"  :evillaugh:
 I'm sure she knows a lot more but chooses not to acknowledge them  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Words our cats know!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 23:59:25 PM »
I realised the other day that my three have quite a good vocabulary ... at least, I think they do!  They all respond to their own names, and to 'hello' (with greets and headbutts etc), 'teatime' (nuff said), 'byebye', (Meesh goes to sit on the windowsill to see me off) 'night-night' (they all go to wait at the door ready to be let upstairs), 'up', 'down' and 'no'.  And Meesha has just learned the word 'ball' ... when I say it she goes and sits by a ball, then carefully bats it towards me!  :Luv:  Shanti knows 'mousie' and picks up her mousie in her mouth :)  Unfortunately they don't respond to 'please sit still while I put your spot on on'!  But I do feel proud of them!  :Luv:

What words do your cats respond to?  Did you specifically train them, or did it just 'happen'? (Mine was a mix of both)

Link to CatChat