Author Topic: Advice please...thinking of introducing a third cat.  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Advice please...thinking of introducing a third cat.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 14:34:02 PM »
Great news  :wow: Congratulations on the new arrival  :)  You know the  :rules: though - where are our pics  :evillaugh:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 10:30:19 AM »
Brilliant

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
What lovely pictures  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Well Inca has arrived and I cant believe how well he has settled in :wow:. He spent last night on our bed not interested in the new bed I got him or the scratching post seems to prefer the carpet :naughty: He has used his dirt tray and learned were the cat food is stored!!

There was an unplanned meeting between him and the boys last night seperated by some patio doors. L & L looked interested and were very friendly but new cat growled, but its early days and at the moment he is in the bedroom window watching L & L in the garden.

I should say Inca is six months old, black and white male who looks a bit like Marks Clapton and so so cute. Will try and post some pictures soon x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 17:47:30 PM »
 :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 17:37:20 PM »
and the others  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 17:22:35 PM »
You probably have inca by now....

Simon came with his name which i used as he was a foster, he learnt it very quickly. So when we decided he could stay we thought it mean to confuse him again. His nickname is slymonator as he always looks shifty  :shify: :shify:

My lot rotate around my avatar with my 2 bridge kitties too but any excuse to post more  :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 13:01:14 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed it all works out.
Please spay your cat

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
Re: Advice please...thinking of introducing a third cat. Update
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Well I cant quite believe it, after i left a massage about enquiring about a very very friendly six month old cat the rescue has just rang me back to say she will do a home check today and bring Inca with her. I'm having him on a fostering basis incase my two dont like him but hopefully it will all work out. omg I'm so excited my husband doesn't even know yet hes at work. So I'm off now with the plastic to buy yet more cat things and some treats for L&L so they dont feel left out. I will try and post some pictures later.   

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
Re: Advice please...thinking of introducing a third cat.Update
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
Hi, I thanks for your encouragement i think having a third cat is the way to go. I do live in hope and maybe things will change but whatever happens they will always have a home here :Luv:

Loving the name Simon by theway, it reminds me of Nigel my last cat, people would always smile when I told them his name :rofl:

Have you posted any pictures of your clan?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:50:50 PM by ginge66 »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »
Often ex ferals like a harem to hang out, i know my 4 scardeys do.
Simon was caught at 6 months although he must have had some kind of human contact because he wasnt evil enough  :evillaugh: The other 3 had feral parents and although they were born here have kept some behaviours. They really rely on each other and are never far apart.

If a 3rd cat is nice to others and doesnt pick on them it would probably work out ok  ;D

Simon has been here nearly 2 years and is still making progress so dont give up hope of L&L becomming more affectionate towards you!

If you went to the same rescue they should be able to match you up with a suitable character  :wow:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »
Hi Millys Mum, thanks for your reply.

Leo and Lawrence were born wild and captured at six weeks old along with their mum and siblings. They were initially taken to be fostered and kept in a back room with some dogs but unfortunately their mother escaped. I think they stayed at that home for about two months and then ended up with their last foster who also ran a cattery. They stayed there for ten months probably because Lawrence was so anti-social and he even hissed at us when we went to view them :scared: Apparently people offered to take Leo but no one wanted Lawrence :( but Beverly refused to separate them because they rely so much on each other. We just wanted to give them a chance and provide a loving home (we dont have children).

Having three cats would not be a problem for us. If I'm totally honest I just miss not having a cat to stroke and fuss and although things have come along way with these two I fear that the lack of human interaction in their early days means they will always be like this. If having a friendly cat would help change their behaviour that would be fantastic because i would love nothing more than to give them a big love and a cuddle but I value my fingers too much :rofl:

Andrea x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »
Are you wanting a 3rd cat or is it more a way to try and change your other 2?

It could help them or they may stay the same!
When Simon came home as a foster it looked like he had no legs because he would scurry around the edges of the room looking petrified. He then met big ^George^ & he became Simons big brother. This helped Simon grow his legs  :evillaugh: and become braver.
Simon in turn was big brother to the next 2 scaredy boys who came along. He babysat them outside for me  :Luv:

Whats the background of Leo and Lawrence?

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
Advice please...thinking of introducing a third cat.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 17:38:16 PM »
Hi, we currently have two rescue cats Leo and Lawrence. When they first came to us they were very scared and nervous, Lawrence especially and would regularly hide behind the settee and was also prone to alot of hissy fits. Six months on and they no longer hide and we can even stroke them but only when its feeding time, any attempt to stroke them otherwise results in them running a mile, you can see the look of horror written all over their faces.We have seen a six month old very very friendly cat advertised on cat chat. Do you think introducing a friendly cat would encourage them to change their behaviour or should we wait a bit longer. I should also meantion they are very close could this be a problem for a third cat although the rescue did say they liked other cats (they were homed in a cattery for ten months).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Andrea. 

Link to CatChat