Author Topic: How can you tell how old your cat is ??  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: How can you tell how old your cat is ??
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 17:00:19 PM »
I think that their nails are also an indication of age....the oldies nails seem alot thicker than younger cats!  ;)

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 16:32:01 PM »
we'll never truly know the age of some rescue cats (unless they were born at the rescue)
Jet (RIP) had lots of pigmented patches on her pupils, ticks of white fur down her body, and her teeth were aged but in good condition.
Ages given by vets varied from 10-13 years old, we assumed the latter due to the issues she suffered with.

Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 16:09:10 PM »
Thanks everyone !  Thomas is 3 !
Betsy and Thomas

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 14:27:05 PM »
I wouldnt go by coat colour/hairs for age really but if his teeth are clean and rather white (rather than yellowing) then it would be a good indication that he is fairly young so 3 sounds a good guestimate.  Folk dealing with cats all the time are usually pretty good at guessing if they are under 5, 5-9, or 10+ etc.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 14:22:53 PM »
Certain ticked fur (ticked=the terminology I learned recently from Blackcat :) ) / sort of fur where each hair has multiple colour ranging anything from white to something quite dark can look sort of "grey", light colour all mixed up with darker ones.  Perhaps that is the case with Thomas?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 14:23:48 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 14:17:33 PM »
Hi Betsy, it is difficult to tell the age of a cat once they pass one year old. As they are inclined to look much the same. However if my cat has white teeth then I would assume it to be quite young.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
How can you tell how old your cat is ??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 14:15:00 PM »
Hello everyone not been on here for a while, but just wondering how to tell how old my thomas could be ??  The sanctuary where we got him from have said hes between 2-4 years old (so ive said hes 3)... however hes a bit grey round the back of his ears and he has the odd  few grey hairs in his coat..  his teeth are white and hes fairly playful..  just wondering if he could be a bit older than 3 ?
anyone got any ideas .. :shify:
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat