Author Topic: I think my cat is bored  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: I think my cat is bored
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
i'm a relatively new cat owner but i know some visible signs of stress can be toileting out of the tray, over-grooming, not eating.
obviously there will be some not so clear signs as well.

I'm sure others will be around to contribute later.

The only signs we've had with Jess is his cysititis and he cleans himself a fair bit.

Its so hard to know what to do, I'd always wanted 2 cats, and it took us a year to come to the decision to rehome another,

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 19:16:57 PM »
www.zooplus.co.uk have some good ones, if you decide to buy visit the site through the link at the bottom of this page and then the purrs rescue fund gets commission on your sale  ;D

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 18:57:30 PM »
No I don't have a multi-level activity platform, I think I'll look into getting one as she likes sitting on the platform on top of one of her scratching poles looking out of the window.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »
If she wanted to go out she would hassle you so it sounds like its safer for her to be indoors.

Do you have a multi platform activity centre?
Fish tanks amuse some cats  ;D

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 18:51:22 PM »
I'd love to get another cat but I don't have the room, my flat is very open plan so don't have a room where I can isolate the new cat.  Maybe when I move (flat is on the market at the moment).  Then if I time it right they might think the other was there before them!

Is there anything I can do to help in the meantime?

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 18:46:11 PM »
Misty is an indoor cat and never did this before, but since Hamish left  :( He does this too, more than often it's just for some lovies and
attention, odd occasion it's for food. Misty is also not very vocal just kinda half squeek's half meow's.

Maybe another Furry companion wouldn't go wrong ?? but cats can be strange in that department, and you would need to be careful
that they would get on together and be life long friends :Luv:
I would've jumped at the chance of another companion for Misty ( I was offered a 1 yr old female Persian by a friend of mine )
but common sense took hold. as Misty is almost 17, there would be little point in doing so now, specially if they didn't get along...

Two is Better than One though  ;) :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 18:48:12 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 18:22:12 PM »
i'm a relatively new cat owner but i know some visible signs of stress can be toileting out of the tray, over-grooming, not eating.
obviously there will be some not so clear signs as well.

I'm sure others will be around to contribute later.
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 17:01:12 PM »
How do you know if a cat is stressed?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 16:21:45 PM »
Sounds alot like Jess, he isn't very vocal at all, and will just sit looking up at me.

Its so hard to tell isn't it, I often wish Jess could talk to me.

We got another cat 3 weeks ago, because we were worried about the amout of time that Jess was alone and he was getting (and still is) stressed, its been going really well. Jess has changed, his more lively now he chases and plays with Milo (his lost weight which is a good thing) his still not hugly vocal but will chitter when I tell him its yum yum time.

I think we've done the right thing now, cats don't need companions they aren't pack animals but they can live together and enjoy each other. My biggest fear about getting a kitten was that we'd upset Jess but he seems fine with it so far, its lovely to watch them cleaning each other.

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
I think my cat is bored
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 15:04:11 PM »
I've had my rescue cat of about 1 year old for 5 weeks now and I think I'm figuring out what she wants.  She's not a very vocal cat and will sometimes come and sit at my feet just looking up at me when I'm working on my laptop, or sometimes jogs over to me making small meow noises.  When I get up she follows me everywhere.  When she wants to play she sits by the toy cupboard which is fine, I know what she wants. but the rest of the time I'm at a loss.  Do you think she's bored?  Does she need more stimulation, more toys etc.  She's been an indoor cat while I've had her only letting her out onto my balcony for short periods as outside my flat is just a big car park so not very cat friendly.  Do you think she needs to go outside for something to do or is she lonely and maybe I should think of getting another cat to keep her company?  I really want her to be content and happy, I wish she could speak sometimes.

Link to CatChat