Author Topic: Lice?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Lice?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »
oh rats i frontlined them with the drops, how long can i wait before using the spray on them

I would think not for a month - 5 weeks  unless advised otherwise by your vet of course.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »
Don`t panic as soon as the eggs hatch the drops will kill them; best to check with vet re spraying them just to be safe. :hug:

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 23:06:32 PM »
oh rats i frontlined them with the drops, how long can i wait before using the spray on them?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 15:51:53 PM »
yep if they were stuck fast sounds like nits, Cheyletiella is also known as walking dandruff coz thats what it looks like so doesnt sounds like that.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 19:28:10 PM »
Hels
Dont worry about the bedding and toys,as long as all your animals are kept up to date with Frontline the eggs are dead.They do look unsightly and I will admit to cutting fur off in the past,its only the cold weather that made me decide to leave things as they are for present litter and 3 months on the battle has been won.
Worthy of note, Spot on Frontline doesnt kill the eggs,it must be the Frontline Spray.

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 21:23:56 PM »
i think it's what you said teresa and thanks for the reassurance that i cant get them!

i've been combing the kittens through today and got rid of some, the bad areas on beryl i have cut her fur to get rid of them. i know i shouldnt but it seemed like an easier idea and it was good bonding time for us!

will they get in the bedding and toys? they have clean bedding every week anyway

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »
Hi Hels
Most definately sounds like Lice, the things you describe are the eggs which are very difficult to remove,its taken me a full 3 months to clear a feral mum and her kittens of the eggs even though they were killed off by the Frontline spray which I repeated every 5 weeks. You can try combing the eggs out but it does tend to pull the fur too.If you do comb wait at least 24 hours after frontline treatment.I left all my dead eggs to fall off naturally.
Lice are species specific so will not survive on you. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »
If it isn't flea eggs, maybe it's this? - I couldn't find anything else.

Cheyletiella Cat Parasite

Also known as walking dandruff, these parasitic mites infect all breeds of cats. They cause the formation of scales similar to dandruff as well as itchiness, inflammation, redness, and crusty patches. When present in large numbers, you may even be able to see the small white mites moving over the surface of the skin (hence the name walking dandruff.) If not treated properly, cheyletiella cat parasites can migrate inside the cat's body through the nasal passages. A variety of anti-parasitic formulations can be used to treat these mites, including selenium sulphide shampoo, pyrethrin dip, and lime sulphur dip. A natural remedy is sprinkling Diatomaceous Earth (an ingredient in Paratrex®) over the bedding and fur of the cat.

They can cause bad sores on people as well.

http://www3.unileon.es/personal/wwdmvjrl/dermatopatias/cheyletiella_3.jpg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:26:40 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:19 AM »
if no one answers Hels, give the vet a quick ring. How old are the kittens?
Please spay your cat

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
Lice?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 00:55:53 AM »
I'm looking after two feral kittens that i trapped at a depot which is part of the council where i work. This evening i was stroking one of them and noticed white/clear things in her fur. They are very small, kinda smaller than a pin head, and they are firmly stuck to her fur. When i got them I frontlined them both and I've just done it again,

I'm assuming they are lice but i've never seen anything like it before, does anyone else know what they are and if there is anything else i can do? I'm not very good with parasites (ie mention them and i'm scratching my skin off) so i'd like to get rid of them asap!

Link to CatChat