Author Topic: elastic mouse toy  (Read 2342 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: elastic mouse toy
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 14:23:07 PM »
Hi Helen &  :welcome:

Your Buzb is lovely  :Luv:

I dont know if you have seen this thead but if you start with the very first post and have a read
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=7231.0

Speaking for experience having assisted with the removal of wool/elastic/string etc etc from cats intestines and knowing it causes quite a few felines deaths every years i do get very worried by the elastic on cat toys and always say they are fantastic play things but after a "play session" to firmly hide the object away in a drawer etc.

There are several types of toys she may play with on the floor such as a panic mouse, kitty go crazy  and an assortment of other things  that can be found in pets shops or online http://www.panicmouseinc.com/

Again i think every cat loves to play with the elastic mouse type toys but please only when you are in control.

I would say however if you were to get her a wiggly waggler (nearly every cat on purrs has one lol) and also a "purrnip fish" you will be surprised how long she will play with these on her own on the floor.
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=82&osCsid=ko675lp61op49nqhn901k1v6u2

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=50&osCsid=ko675lp61op49nqhn901k1v6u2

the purnip fishys are extremely popular with our feline pals and made by a purrs member  :)

also another idea, you get little laser pointer toys for cats so maybe thats something you can manage to use and get her to chase the red dot LOL

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:31 AM »
Good morning Helena and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Pleased to have you on board

My cats don't play with toys very much preferring to stalk the real thing   :xmas mice:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
I was going to sugget that as well, the pole is very long so you can actually play sitting down!  and the way it moves is very realistic, my lot love it, they also love the laser pointer that I got from the purrs shop

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:18:29 AM »
You definitely need a 'da bird' and a 'da mouse'.  If you do a search on here for da bird you will see everyone raving about it!  You can either play with it standing up or if I'm feeling lazy I sit down, there's no need to bend or get on the floor.  My boys go absolutely mental for da bird and even crazier for da mouse. 

It's basically feathers on a very long pole with a long piece of string, the way the feathers are set makes it fly like a bird hence the name, the mouse is a seperate attachment and clips onto the end of the string so you only need one pole.  They are from the US but Tan has imported some and sells them in the Purrs shop (button at the top of the screen).  All prices include p&p and all profit goes to a cat rescue fund so everyone's a winner  :)

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
got a slight problem tho, I cant play with her on the floor and so these  sort of toys are the only kind that I can actually use to play with her. Any ideas for someone with impaired dexterity & who cant bend to reach the floor? I cant play ball with her so the toys on elastic / cord are my only option

;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:06:16 AM by helena »
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 20:16:53 PM »
Susanne was the one, poor thing had Mosi in surgery after he chewed some string. I was also on poo watch for a while after mine swallowed a piece of 1 inch string she'd torn off a toy. Definitely keep an eye out. Don't let her play with it alone, you don't need the heartache of worry. Believe me, we've alllll been there!

:welcome: by the way, we're really pleased you chose to join us  :)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 16:21:55 PM »
as the others say cut the string away or use under supervision only, its to dangerous
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 15:39:17 PM »
I've got a bengal who will eat anything that stays still long enough, yesterday she tried to retrieve finger nails that I had cut off from the bin!!  I know how you feel

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 15:36:53 PM »
Probably best to cut the elastic right back so that all she has left is the mouse.  She probably won't play with them at all then, but better to be safe than sorry.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 15:34:49 PM »
Thanks Dawn.  I've   been trying not to let her but its uphill work!

no don't!  someone on here ended up paying £400 to have a bit of string removed from her cats stomach - there is a thread knocking around called dangers of string as well if you do a search it should come up

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 15:19:27 PM »
no don't!  someone on here ended up paying £400 to have a bit of string removed from her cats stomach - there is a thread knocking around called dangers of string as well if you do a search it should come up

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
elastic mouse toy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 15:13:53 PM »
Hi I'm new to owning a cat and I've a query about a toy. My gorgeous Bubbles (aka Bubz) came into my life not quite 3 weeks ago and a friend gave her some toys among which are a pair of gloves with lengths of elastic that have a mouse on the end. Because of my seriously impaired dexterity i cut the elastic & mouse off the 4 fingers and thumb and Bubz loves stalking them. But the main attraction isnt the mice - its the elastic! Bubz will chew happily on the elastic - should I let her? She is an adult stray (neutered by Cats Protection) and she's got a hefty dollop of Oriendal along with A.N.Other (see www.malosaweb.com/Bubbles for some early photos of her) with a very quick learning processes. She is absolutely gorgeous and I would be lost without her now.

HelenA

Link to CatChat