Author Topic: Kay Cee off to Vet, they won't treat her teeth!!!!  (Read 6245 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Kay Cee off to Vet, they won't treat her teeth!!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 09:01:10 AM »
Fingers crossed she's a bit more perky today  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »
Hope Kay Cee is comfortable and feeling better

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 22:31:21 PM »
Sending positive vibes for Kay Cee and yourself!~~~~~~~~~~~ :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 21:43:30 PM »
Aww, I do hope she can pull through this.
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 21:42:55 PM »
Still not great, but a little livelier than she has been, thanks for asking.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 21:23:03 PM »
How is she now Lesley?
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 18:01:23 PM »
So sorry that KayCee is not well again  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 13:14:50 PM »
 :hug: sorry to hear this  :hug: hope she picks up
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
Oh sorry to hear this Lesley, hope she will pick up with your TLC  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 08:27:41 AM »
To be honest, at the moment I am keeping her away from the Vet, it stresses her and with their opinion of her at the moment, I'd rather carry on hand feeding her myself.  she is comfortable and happy at home - I fear they will say it is already her time and, as far as KayCee is concerned at the moment, their opinion does not count for anything. :censored:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »
Really sorry to hear Kay Cee is not so well.  Hope the vet can sort her out.  Try not to worry TOO much (impossible I know) until you have any definite opinion from your vet.  Good luck and let us know what happens.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 08:22:23 AM »
Aww, I am sorry to hear that she isn't doing well - if you think it is due to not eating, I woulld get her to the vets, teh most common illness due to not eating is Hepatic Lipidosis, but it does have a survival rate of 70%, it just needs treating aggressively (i.e. hand/tube feeding until the cat feels able to eat on their own, and sometimes anti-nausea meds).
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »
After initial good progress, KayCee is not well.  I think it may have been that she has organ damage due to the lack of eating before her tooth was removed.  She is again not really interested in food and has become excruciatingly thin.  am trying everything to feed her but she makes it very hard work and I do not like to stress her too much.  She has aged considerably in the last month and, at the moment, the best I can do is keep her warm, and comfortable and out of pain.  I do not think she has long, my little love.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 00:23:51 AM »
Glad Kay Cee is a lot happier now she's had her tooth removed  :hug:  As far as the vet goes, I don't think I'd be happy either >:(  >:(  How many people actually test for Corona Virus? I did actually ask this on the other thread but only one responded  :sneaky:  There will be dozens of cats that would have been through those doors with the virus, and yet they would have been treated because they weren't aware.  I think if my vets started with that caper, I would go elsewhere as well  >:(  I hope she continues to improve bless her  :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 23:26:53 PM »
Glad Kay Cee is feeling better hun. Gove her (and Forest  :evillaugh: :Luv:) a cuggle from me (thats a big cuddle)  :rofl:

And thanks for the info on corona virus, i have popped a new thread in our health and behaviour guide about it.

Love to all hun
xxxxxx

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 09:19:15 AM »
Mike and I made it clear to Simone that we were not happy with the other Vet and she said it would be brought up at the next Vet's meeting.  I will definitely not be using him again which makes it a bit awkward as he is the normal vet at my Branch but if my cats get better treatment for travelling 1/2 hour to the hospital so be it.  The only problem will arise when I have an emergency and he is the Duty Vet. >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 09:08:54 AM »
Great news Lesley - I can't believe vets like the first one are allowed to practice. Other people might have just gone away with their cat in terrible pain - can you complain to the RCVS?

Glad Kay Cee is sorted  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
So pleased you got that nasty tooth removed and she managed to have some dinner last night.  Simone sounds excellent  ;D

:censored: other vet for not taking any action though grrrrrr

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 23:07:53 PM »
So pleased she has the problem resolved and can eat again.   ;D 

That other vet wants shooting grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 22:50:42 PM »
Glad to hear you got her sorted, that is a terrible reason for not doing a dental - they are always done last anyway, and the amount of cats that are untested must be quite high, some owners wont even pay for bloods to make sure their organs can cope, without any other tests!!
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 20:22:40 PM »
The other thing I did learn from Simone was about titre levels of corona virus.  Apparently it is measured by a sort of scale and that is why I had heard of three cats having the same titre level of 10,240.  That is one of the measurement points, if you know what I mean - they don't all have exact individual numbers - I hope that makes sense.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 20:14:05 PM »
She definitely is but I had to stop feeding Kay Cee whilst we were there cos she does this old lady grinding of her teeth and it made Simone feel sick. :rofl:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 20:10:38 PM »
Simone is a star

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 20:09:30 PM »
Well we are back from the Vets and Kay Cee has had a tooth removed. :cheer:.  I explained my disappointment and annoyance to Simone about the treatment we had received already and stated that I felt there was something definitely bothering Kay Cee in her mouth and that was why she was not eating.

Simone gave her a thorough examination of her mouth and lo and behold found a very loose tooth which she promptly removed there and then. ;D  Simone said that the pain and discomfort from that one tooth would be enough to put Kay Cee off her food and five minutes later we got her some A/D and she promptly starting eating it.  She hasn't done that so easily for at least two weeks.  Simone checked all her other teeth and although she does have some nasty tartar she said they were not loose and her gums were not inflamed.

I am to give her Metacam for a few days to help with any pain and then hopefully we should start to see her putting on weight again, so Simone saved the day and didn't charge me a penny.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 18:25:08 PM »
Thanks for the answers Milly and Lesley ......must still read about this

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 17:33:33 PM »
The ony reason to consider putting off the dental is that the extra stress of an op may not be soo good for Kayceee while she has such high titers..
I would have thought that would be of more concern than making the room dirty  :shocked:

Can they tell when a cat is shedding and can the shedding be brought on by another problem , say mouth problems or stress?

The high titer would indicate that she is shedding the virus still.

Another one of course is that as KayCee mixes with your other cats and they say she is shedding, presumably they are going to want to test every other cat of yours before they will treat.

Lets hope not, would cost a small fortune  :Crazy:

Confusion reigns with me here, in that if a cat is shedding..............I know I should go and read up on this in our new section on Purrs but not got time just at min................how is this past, and surely this could be equally shed during an examination, orrrrrr if airborn just by a cat being in the waiting room with other cats?

Its main transmission route is in faeces

I do know that many cats will have been exposed to this virus and presumably they also test positive but at a lower titre?

Most cats get corona, build an immune response and shake it off.

If you have had KayCee for a long time then surely she could not possibley have FIP cos I thought either wet or dry would kill before years have passed?

Corona carriers can have it for some time and they think stress is what triggers it to mutate into FIP.

Another question is if one has a shedder of the virus, what would be the effect on very young kittens if they came in contact?

They would be at higher risk.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 16:50:40 PM »
Good grief! - if a veterinary surgery can't keep an area sterile/clean when operating on an animal, we're all doomed!!!! and as you say Lesley, how many cats are operated on without them knowing every potential disease that cat might have?!! The coronavirus is killed by good old fashioned bleach and anyway it is mainly shed in poo, so highly unlikely to be a problem when they are doing a dental!!!

The ony reason to consider putting off the dental is that the extra stress of an op may not be soo good for Kayceee while she has such high titers..

Hope you get a different point of view from the vet you are seeing tonight Lesley.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 14:09:30 PM »
I'm about as confused as you sound Gill :-[.  Kaycee is one of my downstairs cats, never met or even saw Pagan and never comes into contact with any of my kittens, who are always kept in isolation and will be even more so now I have my intensive care unit.  All of my downstairs cats have access to outdoors so she could have picked the virus up from outside.

I also find it all a bit bewildering that they can treat her as some sort of leper, even though there are probably hundreds of cats they come into contact with that have had contact with corona virus.

The main bone of contention I have with them is that if I had said no the original blood test, Kay Cee would have had her dental by now and hopefully been well on the road to recovery.  I am sure if I had said no they could not have insisted that she have the blood test before treating her but now she has had it, they are saying no to her dental. :shocked:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 13:59:48 PM »
I thought that any where that did ops had to be full discinfected and suitable for the purpose, are they saying that their facilities are not up to scratch?

I can see that there are probs with cats who carry and are shedding viruses but so many cats come from a past which nobody knows about are they now saying that every single cat must be tested for every single thing or they will not treat them? And then when they get the results and know what they are dealing with refuse to treat them.

Sounds to me that they are passing death sentences on many cats and surely this cant be right?

Can they tell when a cat is shedding and can the shedding be brought on by another problem , say mouth problems or stress?

Sorry so many questions.

Another one of course is that as KayCee mixes with your other cats and they say she is shedding, presumably they are going to want to test every other cat of yours before they will treat.

Confusion reigns with me here, in that if a cat is shedding..............I know I should go and read up on this in our new section on Purrs but not got time just at min................how is this past, and surely this could be equally shed during an examination, orrrrrr if airborn just by a cat being in the waiting room with other cats?

I do know that many cats will have been exposed to this virus and presumably they also test positive but at a lower titre?

If you have had KayCee for a long time then surely she could not possibley have FIP cos I thought either wet or dry would kill before years have passed?

Another question is if one has a shedder of the virus, what would be the effect on very young kittens if they came in contact?

I think we are all going to have to read up on this and learn more  :(

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
Well, she's back in tonight so I can ask then - I've been giving her slippery elm with honey as this is supposed to act like a loal anaesthetic and with the results I've had with Tarka Slipper Elm is my new miracle worker.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
Id ring and get some, if they wont let her be sorted out asap she needs to be comfy while she waits  :Crazy:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »
Didn't offer any pain relief and didn't even suggest A/D - it was only when I asked would it be a good idea to get some A/D the Vet said how many tins would you like? :censored:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »
Have they given you any painrelief, i would have thought that would have been a minimum gesture

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »
Ditto with what everyone else has said!....

Hope this lady gets some positive action at the vets tonight!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »
That's awful.  Like you said vets should have facilities for dealing with this sort of thing.  Good luck with Simone

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
Sorry to hear you're having such problems Lesley.

I also hope the vet today sees sense, and will treat the mouth issues .... poor babe, she must be feeling so uncomfortable  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:11:36 AM »
Lesley that sounds stupid to me, none of us know what our cats are carrying unless they are blood tested, three of mine are rescues and my pedigree came from a house of 10 so any of them could have anything - I hope your usual vet uses common sense 

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
Kay Cee off to Vet, they won't treat her teeth!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:21 AM »
KayCee, my very first rescue cat, has been suffering with her mouth for the past month - I think it is her teeth because she has had problems with them in the past and the Vet said that some cats do have recurring problems no matter what oral food etc that you give.

Took her to the Vet about a month ago to ask them to carry out a dental and due to her age (she was rescued 7 years ago but I think she was about 8-10 then) they suggested we carry out blood tests first.  Being a responsible owner I said okay.  Bloods came back and I think it was her globulin that was raised so the Vets said they wanted to do a coronavirus titer on her as if that level was raised could be a sign of FIP (My Vets are a bit paranoid about me and FIP after Pagan I think).  I asked if we could carry out the dental anyway but, no, they wanted to get the result in first.  Had to take her in for another blood sample for this test so already a week has passed.

Took her in for second blood sample and saw different Vet and asked him to look at her teeth as she is still not eating - he had a look and said "yes" she had periodontal disease but we needed these results back.

Four days later the results come back and she is coronavirus positive, titer of 10,240 (coincidentally exactly the same result as a cat I had some notes on recently from another Vet).  When the Vet gave me the result he basically stated that they would now not allow Kay-Cee into the hospital for dental work as there is a huge risk that she will shed coronavirus whilst in the dental room and they would not be able to keep the area clean.

I understand that they have concerns but surely it is unfair to deny my cat treatment that I feel is desperately needed.  They are a veterinary hospital and should be able to deal with such situations.  How many cats go into a hospital that have never had blood tests and are corona virus carriers and shedders.

The Vets have given me antibiotics to try and combat any infection and have advised they want to retest in six weeks to see if her titer level has gone down.  I bluntly told them she would not be around in six Weeks .  "Why?" they asked - because she is not eating and will have starved to death by then I said :censored: :censored: :censored:

I am trying to hand feed her at the moment but her mouth is so uncomfortable and her jaw makes terrible noises.

I am taking her back to the Vets tonight.  Simone, the Vet on tonight is a feline specialist (went to Australia especially to do her feline medicine degree) and has also written a thesis on FIP so hopefully she will have some different outlooks.  I am also going to hand feed Kaycee whilst I am there so they can see the trouble she has with her mouth.

You think you are doing the right thing by having them tested before ops but maybe next time I will not bother if it means a cat of mine gets the treatment he/she needs. :censored:

Link to CatChat