Author Topic: Advice needed - cat not eating  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Advice needed - cat not eating
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 12:06:50 PM »
Wonderful news you must be so relieved

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
That is good news  ;D

Defo think a trip to the chippy is a good idea, (a valid excuse to also have some nice fish and chips as well for sure  ;D)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »
Good news - Lilly's temperature is back to normal so the vet is sure she will be eating again in 24 hours.  I'm off to the chippy for lunch to get some fish for Lilly (any excuse!) to see if that will tempt her into eating and then find some smelly food from PAH for her.  She usually loves Sheba so will go and get some of that. 

With all the fuss I hadn't realised its her 1 year anniversary tomorrow so will try and find her something else fun to play with whilst there!  Fortunately she won't have a trip to the vets to put up with - they want to see her in a weeks time.  She has tablets to take (need a crash course in how to adminster them as the worming ones weren't very successful!) and hopefully she will be back as fit as a fiddle soon.

Thanks for all the help and advise.  :hug:

Karen
x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »
Hope she's better soon, must be a real worry. Can the vet not try something to stimulate appetite? Also sometimes trying to feed them a tiny bit of their fav nosh off the back of a spoon works better than off a plate? good luck anyway to you and Lily.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
Good luck at the vets today, and glad to hear there's been a bit of an improvement.  Hope you can get Lily eating again soon  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »
That's a big improvement.  Glad to hear it.  Good luck at the vet's and be sure to let us know the outcome. :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »
Thanks again, still no eating (heated up food, gravy, ham, chicken, tuna, nothing!).  This morning she is showing more interest in what is happening and has been drinking water out of the sink so she may be turning a corner.  Fingers crossed.   

She's only about 18 months old so is still young - maybe that's why she hasn't had any bloods taken.  The water injection was injecting water into the scruff of her neck (so she had a camel hump) which then rehydrates her during the day.  They checked her mouth and teeth and everything seemed okay.  Will see if I can get some a/d from the vets when she goes in an hour and see what they say.

Thanks again,

Karen

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »
I would be asking for tests now, and also for a/d. Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 00:06:46 AM »
I also would have thought its time for a blood test, cant remember how old Lily is. Also you didnt say whether her mouth had been checked cos if not it should be.

I would try Hill ad diet which is for sick and convalecing cats and you should be able to buy a tin from your vets. Its very smelly and like a pate and can be stirred into a smooth thick cream. It can also be watered down and syringed.

As Teresa said its very important to keep Lily drinking if possible but it sound like she isnt cos she keeps need help from vet.

It also maybe time for the vet to put Lily on a drip if she is consistently dehydrated.

I am understanding this right and when you say a water injection you do mean she is being given something to rehydrate and not the opposite? Cos often I have heard people talk of water tablets  to get rid of liquid?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 22:38:23 PM »
Maybe others will know more but I would have thought blood test would have been one of the first things - or maybe the vet thinks it is early days. That was the first thing he checked both times when I took Bertie and said he had went of his food and had became more sleepy and less active. I could be wrong - be interesting to see what others think?  :shocked:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 22:35:45 PM »
If she likes fish try cooking some coley (you can get it frozen from most supermarkets).  Put one of the blocks in a bowl add approx 2 to 3 inches of water, cover with cling film and cook in the microwave for 2 - 3 mins.  Allow to cool and serve ... with the water.

Coley is very smelly so this might get her interested again and the water/juice will be good for her.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 22:12:48 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I will give the heating up of the food (and the gravy) a go, see if that helps her.  She just has no interest in anything food related - completely ignores where the food normally is and doesn't pester at all.  She has been licking my hand though and gently nipping it which is what she usually does when she is hungry. As soon as we put food down for her she isn't bothered.  Tuna is usually one of her favourites (especially the water it comes in) but she just won't have any of it.

Hydration-wise, the vet today gave her another water injection so she should be okay for that until tomorrow when she is back again.  She has been a little brighter in the last couple of hours but is now back sleeping.

She hasn't been tested for anything - just had her walking checked, kidneys felt, eyes/ears/nose/teeth looked over and temperature taken.  Should I be requesting she is tested if she isn't responding.  Work is easy going but leave won't last for ever at this rate!  >:(

Not long before she is back at the vet again so will see what that brings.

Karen
x

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 22:08:02 PM »
When Bertie had anemia and was not eating I gave him tuna brine a few times which meant he was getting liquid with some calories - I also heated food up for him and he would sometimes eat it. Did the vet check for anemia?

I know when Bertie was really sick in 2006 they gave him a shot of valium which kick started his appetite and he was fine for the next near two years. That was a last resort though - so I am sure your vet feels that is not needed yet. Good luck  :hug:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 21:16:24 PM »
When Dragan wouldn't eat and to make sure he got fluids I would squeeze the gravy out of an "in gravy" pouch and he did lap that.  Please give it a try so at least she will be getting some fluids.  Good luck.  Did he check her mouth?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 21:03:45 PM »
The following website has lots of ideas on how to get a poorly kitty to eat ... maybe you could try some of these;

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

Also try her on Hills a/d
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 19:57:18 PM »
Karen the important thing is to get her to take fluids ;if you feel she is dehydrating again please ring vet ASAP.
Have you tried gently heating her food up to make it smell better?

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 19:36:40 PM »
Sorry no advice Karen, just to let you know I am thinking of you and Lilly, let us know how you get on tomorrow, but I can see how you are upset  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Advice needed - cat not eating
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 19:33:21 PM »
Lilly last ate a full meal on Saturday afternoon.  She was off her food for a day last week but then made up for it the day after so she was okay.  Anyway, she came in on Sat night and wouldn't even look at the food on offer.  Same on Sunday, except she didn't want to go out much either - unheard of for her.  She had a tiny bit of wafer thin ham all day - and by tiny I mean not even half a slice.  Monday morning she was no better and so took her to the vets.

After checking her walking and all the usual things they check, the vet took the temperature and it was 104.5.  Gave her antibiotics and a water injection so it would rehydrate her with instructions to come back in 24hours.   She ate a little more yesterday (probably a full slice of chicken) and was a bit brighter but this morning she was looking worse - didn't get off the chair, wouldn't look at us let alone eat.  At the vets she was given another temp test (still high) injection of antibiotics and water and they said they think it's a viral infection.   I was quite surprised that they let her come home and didn't do any more tests on her given that she hadn't improved any or am I over-sensitive?

She's due back tomorrow morning and I would like to be a little more prepared!  How long can she survive without eating before she does herself harm?  Should I be asking them to do any tests if she is no better?  The only good thing I can see is that she used the litter tray overnight, so things in that department are happening okay.  I don't like seeing her like this - she is normally active and now just seems to sleep all day (typical cat, I know, but so out of character!).  All she has eaten today is a tiny chunk of salmon so I am getting more concerned for her - and she is looking quite thin now. Still washing herself after eating that little bit though.

Any help gladly taken!

Karen
x

Link to CatChat