Author Topic: Denes older food  (Read 2694 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Denes older food
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 19:14:57 PM »
Is this the very fishy Danish Specifics food (don't remember the Leo bit though??). I tried that once or twice, but it didn't stay down for long sadly. It looked good quality for those who can eat fishy stuff without depositing it on the carpet and was nice and soft. My ex vet thinks v highly of it. Maybe this link will help someone else too. Many thanks anyhow.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
Am so knackered that I left his RC renal out - or in the coolbag but the iceblock was warm this am - but as it was an excellently runny and smooth pouch and didn't honk, I gave it to him anyhow and he enjoyed it

The honkier the better I'm afraid  :sick:

Also I have seen Leo somewhere. Can't remember where but I'll have a nosey. I think it's a little more than RC but they're worth it  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
My vet was giving me 5mg Fortekor, and I had to give him half a pill per day ?? well apparently they have stopped
making that kind now

Sounds odd as dogs need to take 5mg pills  :Crazy:

My new vet is letting me have 56 x 2.5mg pills for £25 (The old vet charged £48  :Crazy: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 09:53:16 AM »
Thank you all- there's so much to think about. I do have a little time to find a solution because I've managed to find a few trays of 'old' i/d. Just hope they are in better condition than the one I picked up myself from the pet depot in SE10 yesterday, which had had such a bang that 2 of the cans were split open and maggot flies were everywhere  :sick:  The rest of those cans are a little bit bashed and normally I wouldn't have taken them. I'm wondering if I should return them actually.....they are sealed but have dents and were in the 'maggot tray'. Didn't bring the cans (decanted into a box) into the flat last night in case we woke up to a horror movie this morning!  :Crazy:

Denes's website says their chicken food for oldies is 164 per 100g and 147 per 100g. Hills i/d is 80 per 100g. RC Renal 35 per 100g. Big diffs but yours truly can't add 2 and 2 so has no idea if the measurements are done the same way and I would be comparing like for like.

Am so knackered that I left his RC renal out - or in the coolbag but the iceblock was warm this am - but as it was an excellently runny and smooth pouch and didn't honk, I gave it to him anyhow and he enjoyed it......Stuart, what dates have you got on those RC Renal chicken pouches as let me know if you've got any of his fav expiry date 4.7.09 and maybe we can sort something out?!!!  Have you tried blending the food btw as mine are totally put off by chunks.. We Don't Do Chunks.

Burns only do dry food, right? No senior or aged wet food?  I've not heard of Leo food, is it still around?? I'll prowl around Vet UK, but I wish they'd print the nutritional breakdown,even if I don't fully follow it, I could try to get one of you to translate it for me!

Phosphorus binders -vet gave me Ipaketine but it caused Swampy's tum to bloat and block and he was clearly in pain and not eating so I've stopped. Helen's suggested alu-tabs so Boots are trying to get them, but don't know if they'll upset his IBD too.  Today is reasonable as the Wonder Muck Lactulose worked!!!! (you didn't ask, but you heard it anyway  ;)). That makes a big difference to his mood and appetite and even sometimes his snorting. Gets rid of some urea / toxins from the gut I suppose. My vet says they treat liver disease with lactulose (which made me  :Crazy: because Swamp's liver disease wasn't!) so logically it may help a bit with CRF. Hope that helps someone else too.

Finally (sorry this is loooong) Stuart, could you ask your American friend why their vets don't use or like Fortekor please? Think it could be called something different in America?  I used to belong to a yahoo group where certain peeps rage about it; however UK vets adore it and most cats seem good on it, just not mine or Maddiesmum's poor wee lad.  I spoke to a french vet who says they do use it, but not as first choice like here, more when diet just isn't helping any more.

A luta continua to finda nica nosh....

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
If you go on Vet UK, they actually have more prescription diets than I have seen at the vets, so you might find one of the other 2 brands do renal diet that he might appreciate. IF not, could you use phosphorus binders?
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 23:08:17 PM »
All senior food is midway between regular and prescription CRF food with phosphorus levels. I have given up trying to get Clapton to eat the prescription. He won't even eat senior a lot of the time so I have to mix & match as best I can. The Asda own brand senior pouches go down well and only £2.09 for 12 - they only come in one flavour though - chicken in gravy.

I also give him some roast chicken most every day  :)

Despite his non-prescription diet, he is thriving with the regular fortekor  :Luv:

I have read some articles on CRF diets saying that it is all wrong and the research was done with rats so doesn't necessarily apply to cats - in fact it could be harmful restricting their protein like that.

I too give Misty some roast chicken most every day  :rofl:
Misty is Eating Whiskas senior with gravy and also the tins of senior supermeat, depends what mood He's in :shify:

and Mark remember My vet was giving me 5mg Fortekor, and I had to give him half a pill per day ?? well apparently they have stopped
making that kind now, and I am now on the same as you?? the 2.5mg pill, and Misty is good when it comes to taking them  :)

I am currently in correspondence with a person over in the USA who got in touch through my youtube memorial to Hamish.
thier puss Simba has just been Diagnosed with CRF, and they has been asking me questions etc, I HAVE promoted Purrs forum
but then again, maybe with the time difference it makes it hard to join in?? they were to the vets today, and simba has been
prescribed " Azodyl " and they also got a Sub Q kit and was shown how to use it, only thing I'm worried about(and they are too)
is that Simba has a swollen area around the sinus/nose/eye?? they have given an antibiotic injection, but if that doesn't clear it up,
the vet says there is a possibility that it may be a Tumor :(

I'll try and keep yous posted, but hopefully they can join soon ??

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 19:54:28 PM »
When Hope wasn't eating, the vet had some leftover trays of "Leo" renal food. That cheered her up for a bit. If I remember rightly, it's a similar texture the the firmer Hills one. Of the Hills she did seem to prefer the more minced one.

You could always try mixing a little beef paste or Mum's Own babyfood in or warming it up. I had small successes with all of them. Nothing lasted long though sadly and I tried every trick in the book!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 19:41:43 PM »
How smooth and palatable is Denes older chicken and lamb food, does anyone know? I've emailed them, but they will of course naturally try to sell me their food. Does anyone know if it really is low in nasties like phosphorus?

Years ago, I used to feed Denes senior food, if I remember rightly the cats I had then seemed to like it, its quite smooth, pate like. It's got cereals in though, which is why I don't feed it now.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 18:39:18 PM »
All senior food is midway between regular and prescription CRF food with phosphorus levels. I have given up trying to get Clapton to eat the prescription. He won't even eat senior a lot of the time so I have to mix & match as best I can. The Asda own brand senior pouches go down well and only £2.09 for 12 - they only come in one flavour though - chicken in gravy.

I also give him some roast chicken most every day  :)

Despite his non-prescription diet, he is thriving with the regular fortekor  :Luv:

I have read some articles on CRF diets saying that it is all wrong and the research was done with rats so doesn't necessarily apply to cats - in fact it could be harmful restricting their protein like that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 18:42:09 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 18:04:56 PM »
I too am looking for a new food in aid of Mistys CRF as the little  :censored: just turns his nose up at the royal canin now
I still have over 200 sachets left  :(
have resorted back to senior foods as it's still lower in phosphate's than normal food
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 18:06:51 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Denes older food
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 17:57:35 PM »
How smooth and palatable is Denes older chicken and lamb food, does anyone know? I've emailed them, but they will of course naturally try to sell me their food. Does anyone know if it really is low in nasties like phosphorus?

Alternatively does anyone else have any suggestions for a smooth (i/d type) food for CRF cats but that tastes nice. I like to give my 2 a nice breakfast (up to now, i/d) of reasonably healthy food that they enjoy, followed by the rest of the day on renal food as required by their kidneys.  As Hills have changed the i/d to minced, I am going to have to find something else.  I found that on only renal food, my 2 get a bit listless and bored.

Link to CatChat