Author Topic: Reggie - in Memoriam  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Re: Reggie - in Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 19:53:09 PM »
Thank you all for taking the trouble to read Reggie's story.
 :grouphug:

A year has passed now since he went, so I can remember him fondly and smile, although I shed a few tears writing this... for anyone reading who has just lost a loved puss - it does get easier, I promise.

Jas
 X

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 23:23:42 PM »
Jasmine, i think Reggie has a very sweet face, and what a beautifull story. :hug:

:RIP:  Dear Reggie.

:hug: :hug: :hug: To you at this sad time.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »
I'm so glad that Reggie found you and lived in comfort for his last years - hugs to you Jasmine

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about Reggie! he was stunning Cat and you were so lucky to have found each other.

Take pleasure in remembering the good times you shared, even if it means laughing and crying at the same time!  :Crazy:

:hug:
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but you did a wonderful thing by taking him on, and not many people would have done that, so he got to spend the last two years of his life in a wonderful home environment, and loved to bits, rather than in the rescue, so he was a very lucky boy. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline madpants

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Merlin the big fat black cat
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 19:25:31 PM »
So sorry to hear of your sadness Jasmine, but Reggie sounded like a truly wonderful cat and you did a superb job giving him a great life whilst he was with you.
Sending you comforting hugs, Keep your chin up,
Tracy and Merlin xxxx :Luv: :Luv:
Love thy neighbour............. especially if they have cake!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 18:36:45 PM »
So very sorry to hear about Reggie.  What a wonderful time he had with you and bless you for making his life wonderful  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 18:18:26 PM »
Jasmine so sorry to hear Reg has passed over to the bridge.  He sounds like a truly special boy and by the sounds of it you were as lucky to find him as he was you.

RIP Reg ... have fun at the bridge little man  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 18:07:09 PM »
What a lovely story and how lucky to have spent the last years happy and loved

xxxxxxxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 18:01:31 PM »
So glad he found you Jasmine, he may not have had the best start in life but he definitely landed on his paws  :hug:  RIP little Reggie, safe and sound at the Bridge until your Mum and Dad are ready to collect you xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 17:27:27 PM »
Rest In Peace Reggie xxx

What a lovely story, I am so glad he found You.
Although only with You for a couple of years, it sounds like he had the perfect life.
Gone but never forgotten xxxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 17:26:49 PM »
What a lovely story and I am so please that Reggie and you met up and he knew true love and creature comforts  :hug: :hug:

RIP Reggie you will have a great time on the Bridge and reckon everyone there will love you. You will never be forgotten.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Reggie - in Memoriam
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 17:12:03 PM »
Reggie was an old stray found in an awful state:  flea-ridden, thin and partially blind; he had been living under a car.  In 2004, he was rescued by my local Cats Protection and nursed back to health.  However, because of his advancing years (estimated age 13+), the vet advised against having the cataracts - which limited his vision - removed.

In January 2005, my boyfriend and I lost my beloved cat, Smudge, to cancer.  We were devastated and despite still having the comfort of his two girls, we decided to offer a home to another elderly boy, with so many unwanted cats needing help, it seemed the right thing to do... and so it was our paths crossed.

We were privileged to adopt 'Reg' with his Friesian cow-like coat, big nose and muddy eyes; he wasn't what most folks would call beautiful, but inside he was a big softie and had the loudest purr I ever heard in a cat.  Reg liked his home comforts, sunbathing in the garden and food, especially cheese.  His eyesight may not have been up to much, but his hearing was acute, he never failed to appear when the fridge door was opened and he could sniff cheddar a mile off.

He probably thought he had it made until the day I started fostering kittens for the CP, and the inevitable happened - along came a mini-looking Reg into the household... But Reg took it all in his stride, even the day when he came plodding into the kitchen with a small bundle of fur attached to his face - sorry Reg.  He eventually got his own back, when he sat on her after she refused to budge from his cushion, it was his cushion after all!  However, despite the odd incident, they soon became the best of friends.

In 2006, I noticed Reg drinking more; he was diagnosed with an over-active thyroid gland, which was controlled by medication.  Then, just before Christmas, I noticed he was losing weight and had an inkling it would be his last.  The New Year brought bad news, which confirmed my fears; he was in the late stages of kidney failure.  The rest is too painful to dwell on.

Reg was put to sleep in my arms, at home, on 16th January 2007.
I sang to him whilst he slipped away.

We miss you Reg, you were a wonderful boy, who brightened our lives for almost two years.

:candle:

Here are a few pictures of Reg and a link to some video clips taken on my mobile.  I played one of these a little while ago and Wilkie (kitten above) perked up her tail, made a little chirruping noise and went trotting into the kitchen looking for her friend.  Happy memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxYD5gnP14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-d4fj-Ov4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hqNVXZeNaI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3733OF8fGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axuegCNb19A

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 17:14:40 PM by Jasmine »

Link to CatChat