Author Topic: Hello, I'm lost  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Hello, I'm lost
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 21:38:37 PM »
 :rofl: Hello Dark Moon, you Have had a bad time of it haven't you  :rofl:
Welcome to Purrs, just sit back , relax and watch, youll soon get the hang of it :)
but we must see some piccys its in the  :rules:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 21:41:01 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 17:08:20 PM »
Hiya Dark Moon and  :welcome:
you really have your hands full wow xx
Caroline xx

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 20:35:07 PM »
Hi Dark Moon  :welcome:

you will find your way around and then you will never want to leave  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Dark Moon

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I will wander around the various forums and post if I think there is anything at all I might say that anyone would care to hear. And yes, I was more than a little taken aback when I stumbled into your game. Have to admit to sitting bolt upright, wondering 'what in Heaven's name?????'  and then 'ooooh, am I in the wrong place!'.  I may stumble back next Tuesday, now that I know more or less what's going on.  For now, thanks again!  :Luv:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:06 AM »
Hi Dark Moon and big  :welcome: to Purrs.  It's a great site with lovely people.  It can be confusing at first - I can imagine you must have thought you were in a mad house when you came in Chat during the quiz.  We are not usually quite so manic!  It's so good to hear about all your furbabes and the work you do giving them a forever home.  Well done you.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
Hi DM and  :welcome: to Purrs,

Once you get to grips with the site you will find a really useful little button at the top of the page that says  "Show unread posts since last visit".  it's a great way of seeing all the new posts.  It really doesn't take long to find your way round and if you get stuck just yell and there will always be someone about to help you  :hug:

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
Hi Dark Moon and welcome to Purrs.

Your posts are wonderful and it sounds like you are doing a marvellous thing there in Canada.  I run a rescue on my own here in England and there are currently 28 here.  I have the same fears for them as you do, do they get enough care as a group or would they be better off somewhere with less numbers.  Never fear, I am sure your cats love being with you.  Many of the residents here have on-going medical or behavioural problems, so it's a case that if I didn't have them, they would have nowhere to go.  It's bad enough finding good owners for healthy cats and kittens, the problem ones are almost impossible.

So, do not worry, you are doing a wonderful thing and ALL your cats know the love you are giving.

I look forward to many more posts from you.

Lesley xx
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 09:48:18 AM »
Hi DM, and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Hopefully you'll find your way around here soon, its a really friendly forum, so hopefully you'll enjoy coming on  ;D

It took me a while to find my feet as well, and learning to post piccies etc, if you get stuck just hollar and someone will be able to help!

We did spot you in chat last night by the way, we said Hi and asked if you wanted to join one of the teams, but I'm guessing you didn't see - all newcomers welcome, and the quiz is excellent fun, every Tuesday at 9pm  ;D  Pop along next week if you're free and join in, its a giggle  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46:13 AM »
WElcome to Purrs DM, and i hope you figure things out soon!! Please dont be afraid to go in the rescue side, we have some heartwarming tales in there as well as sad, or sad that become heartwarming. I think you are right about numbers, I think anyone who has double figures of cats are a lot better than me, the most I have had in one go is 8 (and most of those were fosters, so it was only a short term thing), and that is too much for me to be able to give them all the attention they need.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 01:46:01 AM »
With great difficulty I think but the fact that you try is far more than many would do  :hug:

Dark Moon

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »
I guess, were I to be honest, I would say that initially 3 was the limit. Muff, Duty and Hannibal.  But then Chevo (Nitchevo) came. So 4 was good. Then came my beloved Ariadne. I guess that's when we hit the wall.

But, you know, some of those I hold closest to my heart came after.... and that has always posed a problem for me.  18 is too many.  But had I not had 5 I wouldn't have had Ariadne. Had I not been willing to take on 8 I wouldn't have had Brigit - and she was THE most beloved of my life. Had I not had 15 I would  not have had Winston, and he, next to Brigit, is  THE cat of my life...........

I have to keep telling myself that I am not responsible for all cats. That there are many others able... That, from the cat's point of view,  maybe being one of a few is better than being one of many. And, from my viewpoint,.... how many can I care for to the best extent?

I am at a standstill right now. Until the next one wanders through........ Whom I will take in... it's a given.........

You need not worry. Most of this took place long ago. Muff, Duty, Hannibal, Chevo, Ariadne ... they have all since crossed that bridge. In between my beloved Brigit came. As did Oliver. Bress, who saw magical beings (?!) Angus, who tried to.  Hector (whom I lost at 20+ (he came as a stray so don't know. We lived together for 20 years). We are a giant family. But not 36. 18 is too many. Not too many for me. But how many can you care for personally? Give them the love and attention they need? She who has 36 is a far, far better person than me. I wish I was like her. For me, I find myself struggling sometimes to give each what s/he should have.

I don't want them just to have shelter, safety and food - though I wish to Heaven I could give them all of that! - I want them to have the individual love they deserve too.

So - how do we do that?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 01:09:21 AM »
wE have someone with 36cats on hear and others with 10 or 11 plus our rescues who have too many to count, we are a giant family  ;D

I have four rescued cats and thats my limit  ;D

Dark Moon

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 01:04:37 AM »
Winston

He's how I found you. Referred from Catchat.

He is my most beloved. He suffers from stomatitis.  He came to me abandoned at what the vet tells me was 4-8 days of age. I hand reared him. We have gone through a lot these past years. He has had all his teeth extracted. He would have been better had they all been taken out when the first lot was. The vet put him on steroids. For 4 years.That vet ultimately left and we got a new one. She's fabulous. But we have tried all the other things. Antibiotics. Food. It almost killed him. Literally.  But he rallied (long story) and he sits here batting my keyboard as we 'speak'.

You asked about my  family. I thought I would introduce you to the 'King' first.

He is not 'well' but he is not in trouble at this time - so don't worry about us. He is, however, quite the most splendid of boys. He considers me his Mum (as, I guess, I am). He is completely possessive. He is smallish in stature. Pale, pale orange. Longish hair. Perfect beyond all words. And I adore him completely.

Since you asked....

Dark Moon

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 00:42:32 AM »
as I said, I'm new. And stupid. I may have misinterpreted your note.

I am a child here. Teach me. If you all want to hear of my babies, I will tell you. But each one has his and her own story to tell so it will take time. And much will have to come from my heart and that too takes time (for those already on the other side of the Bridge).  I won't burden you all with any of this any time soon. But many stories are so joyful! The endings, as always, infinitely sad. But the lives joyful! Still, you have better things to do.... (shoot, it's what? 1 a.m. there now????)

Anyway, thank you for finding me. But if I am to tell you about any of us, what would be the best forum in which to do it? I am sorry - I simply cannot view your rescue forum. It breaks my heart. I have tried and continue to try to give a home to all who come and yet there are so many here, let alone there.........

My thoughts and heart and love are with you for what you are doing to help.

And thanks again for finding me.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 00:31:20 AM »
hey, Smudge... not a problem! Your difficulty is far greater than mine!

confused- difficulty

xx

Dark Moon

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 00:30:31 AM »
hey, Smudge... not a problem! Your difficulty is far greater than mine!

Dark Moon

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 00:28:36 AM »
thank you, thank you, thank you!

I haven't yet got it, but maybe there's hope!

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 00:27:43 AM »
well done dark moon you did it

18 fur babies how wonderful  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

xx

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 00:24:42 AM »
No Bella and Millo are twins they are rescues from a horrible couple that separated and had left them to die in their cellar  we broke in  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: (and took them both) Milo was very close to death and both were like skeletons. Wormed flea's TLC'D and here we are . Bella was diagnosed with LATE STAGE CRF last December as in 2006 not 2007 and can outrun my kittens for 5 Min's of every day  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

sorry hijacking your thread dark moon  :hug:

xx
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 00:49:38 AM by smudgepickles »

Dark Moon

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 00:22:17 AM »
OK now I'm mad.

Have replied 2X and both, apparently, have been deleted.

Short version - 18 kitties. 1 human, 2 goats, 15 and counting fish. Unknown ages (the human excepted) - most having come as adults. Many colours, many sizes, many shapes.

And I won't say anything more until I see if this time it goes through. 3, they say, is the charm!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 00:18:36 AM »
:hug: :hug: we have go time to hear about you all, but are you 18 hoomas or 18 fur babies

Im Helen
I Have 8 cats ranging from 19 months to 26 on friday yes 26 years old  :Crazy:  :Luv2:
3 dogs  :Luv2:
3 horses  :Luv2:
2 bunnnies  :Luv2:
3 children all grown up  :Luv2:
1  beautiful grandaughter 9 weeks old  :Luv2: :Luv2:

and last but not least a wonderful husband whom as we speak is fast asleep in our bed with 7 of the 8 cats  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Hi Helen, will you tell us about your cat which is 26. That is wonderfull, have you had her/him all his life?

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 00:16:07 AM »
Yes as Helen said we do have time and love to hear about all and how the rescues work in canada :), and more. :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 00:08:50 AM »
 :hug: :hug: we have go time to hear about you all, but are you 18 hoomas or 18 fur babies

Im Helen
I Have 8 cats ranging from 19 months to 26 on friday yes 26 years old  :Crazy:  :Luv2:
3 dogs  :Luv2:
3 horses  :Luv2:
2 bunnnies  :Luv2:
3 children all grown up  :Luv2:
1  beautiful grandaughter 9 weeks old  :Luv2: :Luv2:

and last but not least a wonderful husband whom as we speak is fast asleep in our bed with 7 of the 8 cats  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Dark Moon

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 00:03:33 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K., I'm trying to calm down. Took a while to even figure out how to reply! I am such an idiot!

I have spent some time wandering around the forums and feel a bit less lost. Only a bit. Yes, I know you are all (or most) in the UK - but I can't find anything similar here. Where am I ? Manitoba, Canada. And my family? We are 18 strong. You all don't have enough time to hear all about us. Except that most of us have come as strays, or from the humane society, or been caught by gentle hands when tossed aside by people who.... well, I will keep my language decent. Hard though that may be. Anyway, thank you sooooooooooo much for replying. I truly, truly felt as if I was lost somewhere in the ether.....

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 00:01:49 AM »
Hi, you are in the right place now, dont worry it took me weeks to find out where to post and what to do and still not there %100 :evillaugh:

That cos you were shy :naughty:
  Still are, and a bit sllooow.You see when i do quote i dont know how to use smily!

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 00:00:23 AM »
Hello, good evening and a very big welcome  :welcome:  :welcome:  :welcome:  :welcome:

xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 23:49:54 PM »
Hi, you are in the right place now, dont worry it took me weeks to find out where to post and what to do and still not there %100 :evillaugh:

That cos you were shy :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 23:49:37 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Why dont you tell us about yourself and your cats  ;D

You will soon find your way around but the chatroom isnt used that much except on Tuesday from 2100. We have a quizz in there.  :rofl: :rofl:.........some kinda game indeed  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

6 hrs away, where are you?

Sorry its not been a pleasant experience cos its a lovely forum but as you have probably found most od us are in the UK cos its a UK forum. We do have others from other places but most are UK.

This forum is very easy to use once you get used to it, just go to home and tou will see that we are divided into sections, one for Fundraising , next for Cats, then we have non-cat things.

Each section is subdivided into sections which are named and you are currently in the cat side in exactly the right place to introduce yourself.

The best way is to bump atound the site and see what is where and what we talk about , which is almost everything but the reason for the site is rescue, rehoming and advice on cats  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 23:49:18 PM »
 :welcome: Dark Moon. Poor you!  You really did go into the areas that you need to be "seasoned" into  ;) 

Generally we use the main part of the forum, where you;ve posted for all our chating and the chat room we go in there for our weekly quiz (which you are welcome to join!) at 9pm on Tuesday evenings.  One of our admins, Sneakie, runs the quiz, its great fun and you can join the red team (yes you can, Sneakie don't say different!).

Please do post pictures of your babies! We looooooove pictures, and love to drool over the furry babies. Its in the :rules: you know  :sneaky:

Sorry you haven't felt welcome so far, we are a very friendly sort, I do think you popped into the areas of the forum it generally helps others being in at the same time  ;)

Again, welcome from our lot.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 23:48:03 PM »

:welcome: To purrs, its a great forum and there are lots of people who can help , dont even think of removing yourself, you will love it here :Luv:

Do you have any fury friends? We love to hear about them. ;D

Dark Moon

Hello, I'm lost
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 23:27:31 PM »
  :Crazy: Not been to such a forum before. Entered the chat room and tried there this afternoon but no one was there. Tried again later and was completely lost. Apparently there was some game or another under way. Tried to find a way to have myself removed from this forum then since I was so obviously out of place. But failed at that. Paused to breathe and now thought I'd try again. I am totally new to this sort of thing. So far it hasn't been pleasant, but I know that's because of my ignorance. I am also 6 hours away from all (or most) of you so that too will be problematic. Anyway, hello. From me and my 'herd' (because we are one).

Link to CatChat