Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Advice please
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 17:21:12 PM »
I know, our vet estimated her at 10, her vet estimated her at 8, and they only had her for 14 months, so too young to go.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 17:18:59 PM »
So sad to hear this.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 17:09:20 PM »
I have just logged on and received this, I shall put a separate post in Crossing the Bridge

Hi Desley,
We took jet to the vet again today, she was still showing no interest in food and hadn't used the tray since the vets yesterday. she even turned her nose up at tuna!
She managed to provide an inpromtu urine sample for the vet (peeing all over her) the vet tested it out of curiousity to find v.high levels of glucose (16+) a blood test was done to see if there was anything else going on. the vet yesterday noticed a slight heart murmur and when the tests came back the prognosis wasn't good.
having not eaten for two days (her own choice) the vet would have to hook her up to a drip etc and get food in her before they could begin treatment for the diabetes.  and also considering she would still have to continue hyperthyroid treatment which is sugar coated pills stabilising her would be difficult,

Rather than put her through all that we made the decision to put her to sleep.

we had a happy 14 months from her and we most definatley want another furbaby, but not just yet.

Many thanks for your help
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 15:28:44 PM »
I have hypo-t and have read lots about thyroid problems in people.
It sounds as though the cat may be being over-treated for hyper and gone into hypo, provided that it follows the same pattern in cats as in humans. Being lethargic and off food suggests she has swung into hypo from too much medication for hyper. (Hope this makes sense!)

Heart problems are par for the course with thyroid conditions. Nothing to worry about.

Would suggest having dosages checked carefully.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
Some of you may remember a 10yo I rehomed year before last, she was diagnosed with hyper-t, and I have just seen this e-mail from yesterday. I have to go and dogwalk now (another voluntary thing!!), but thought I would just quickly post on here - I will ring them back later, and if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, I shall pass them on too - I haven't dealt with hyper-t before

Hi Desley,
I've had Jet at the vets today. she's been really lethargic and is off her food.
The vet said he thinks she has a heart murmur, her glands were up as well he's given her an antibiotic injection and we're going back to see him on monday.
he did say it was treatable and will probably run some blood tests and may do a blood pressure test as well.

the last week or so she been really energetic and playing again but this is a really sudden down fall in her health she hasn't been to her bowl at all today and she's sleeping alot (more than ususal) she hasn't even come to us for any affection - i'm really worried!

Any ideas?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat