Author Topic: How long for Steroids to work?  (Read 6365 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: How long for Steroids to work?
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 14:24:05 PM »
Maybe but maybe it's a "could"?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 14:14:47 PM »
Maybe it's just if they have them every day?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 14:09:30 PM »
Well they never did with Dragan.  He just has one per week to keep the inflammation down and does just fine

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 13:45:02 PM »
I think my new vet treats people as equals so won't be a problem  ;D - I nearly fell over when he offered me his PC to check VetUK prices. My old vet was like a learned old professor who was beyond question.

I read this which is a bit worrying. She is having her last 1/2 tablet today but I will mention it tomorrow.

"Although corticosteroid drugs such as prednisolone help counteract the over-reactive immune system that can cause the disease, steroids can also make pancreatitis worse."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 13:51:27 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 13:41:41 PM »
Good luck and don't let your vet dismiss it out of hand as it is rare in cats.  It may not be that but symptoms sound very similar.  Let me know how you get on wont you?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »
No I forgot with all the Willow commotion  :tired: - I will ask when I am there again tomorrow - thanks  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
Really still sounds like Dragan was when he was diagnosed with pancreatitis.  Did you speak to your vet about it?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:30 AM »
Spoke to the vet today and he said to bring a poo sample tomorrow as her poo is still soft and yellowish - possibly liver, digestion or some kind of parasite  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 08:25:59 AM »
Poo is a bit firmer now but long poos - in line with eating too much  :evillaugh:

Belly still swollen so I guess I will have to take a poo sample in next. I will speak to the vet when I take Kylie and Clapton in for routines this morning. Willow is in for hers tomorrow so I can either take a sample  or if the vet insists, Alice herself again. As there is no difference, except no blood which is great, I can't se the point of subjecting her to another vet trip until they have analysed a sample. 3 trips in a week is too much unless absolutely necessary.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 20:56:57 PM »
Yep preds increase appetite and then you get the side effects of over eating which can be diarrhoea so dont worry yourself too much  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »
They usually have a tonic effect within 24 hrs, but they won't get to the nub of Alice's problem. They'll cheer her up and reduce any inflammation she may have.
I hope things look up soon.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
Steroids do increase the appetite, so you do need to keep an eye on that, as you dont want her putting too much weight on.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
Dragan takes 5mg of Prednicare weekly and it usually takes 48 hours for me to see a big improvement.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 00:34:05 AM »
They are "Preds" - she has 1/2 of a 5mg tablet twice a day for 5 days then 1/2 once a day for 4 days. She started on Wednesday night and if anything, her runs are worse. They seem to have worked as an appetite stimulant as she is eating more than ever. She is cheerful enough in herself but looks like she swallowed a football  :(

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 23:05:10 PM »
The Proot had Prednisolone, which worked as a tablet within 24 hours.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 22:35:23 PM »
What type of steroids are they Mark - anabolic or cortico ?  Tiggy had injectable corticosteroids and they used to kick in within 24 hours, I often have to take oral steroids (prednisolone tablets) for my asthma and they normally work within 24 hours too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 22:12:24 PM »
well at least he is exhausting all the possibilities.

And Sharon's kitty (no pun  :evillaugh: )

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 22:06:19 PM »
well at least he is exhausting all the possibilities. can't ask for more than that really ... ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 22:03:57 PM »
If this doesn't work, he is going to send a fecal sample to the lab to check for parasites  :sick: - he isn't ruling out it being a result of malnutrition (Which Dennis suggested)

Despite theproblems, she is eating with gusto!  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 22:04:33 PM by Mark »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 21:33:28 PM »
Mark for a wild moment there I was worried you had taken up body-building  :Crazy: Unfortunately I know nothing of this matter so will defer to the experts ... :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry to hear Alice is not responding though, I would have expected some change by now ... :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
How long for Steroids to work?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 21:29:40 PM »
Alice has been on them 4 days and on Sunday will be going onto 1/2 dose. Her belly is still swollen and she has had a runny bum today  :(

However, she has realised the bed is the best place (on it rather than under it!  :evillaugh: ) For the first time this afternoon, she snuggled right up to me  :Luv2: - She did a "willow" by going round in circles until she was satisfied she had max comfort  :Luv2:

Back at the vets on Tuesday (lucky I am a workshy layabout  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 21:30:23 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat