Author Topic: mary at the vets  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: mary at the vets
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 23:03:21 PM »
I have tried the chicken wing thing she didn't take to it at all given the state of  her teeth probably why.

But will try raw meat chunks mabey  raw meat safe for cats ?  may sound daft but have read, heard somewhere about a need for cooked meat

Raw meat is fine for cats, my cats all eat a raw meat diet,  plus raw chicken wings to keep teeth clean. My Elsa who had only a few teeth left age 20, was able to eat the meat off chicken legs, and wings, no problem LOL!  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 20:24:34 PM »
Only thing I know about gravuy food is  a lot of cats dont like it and if they do , it upsets tummies.

Personally i would keep on feeding her as you do, if she will accept logic gel or something great, having fewer teeth for a cat is not a big deal as many cats have none, or just fangs left.

I dont know marys estimated age but cats teeth are different to ours and in some cases the outside repairs itseld.

As long as she has no teeth probs now and no gingervitus, I would not be worried.

Vets can do a scale and pilish but you may have to pay for it. Ducjha had one a couple of years ago and also a couple out and his teeth are still fine.

he gets no special food at all and will not touch raw, or treats or any human food!

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 17:24:54 PM »
curious because the Cp advised before  against the gravy one because of the  sugar content .

I have to say she does crunch on the biscuits this being the case better ? 

So glad theirs something to add to food to help with teeth will get on that  I have a ton And i mean ton  :rofl: of wet food right now from the half price offers their have been.  I have tried the chicken wing thing she didn't take to it at all given the state of  her teeth probably why.

But will try raw meat chunks mabey  raw meat safe for cats ?  may sound daft but have read, heard somewhere about a need for cooked meat

And I'm not amused that she was checked by previous vets and no teeth problems were mentioned this is a long term condition so would have been their in sep I'm a new cat owner so to say so don't know how to spot things less obvious myself .

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 16:53:08 PM »
She has only been fed jelly type foods by me as I'm aware of the sugar in the gravy type ones

I wasnt aware there was a difference! Cats dont suffer from sugar related problems like human teeth do.

Would changing her diet to dry instead of wet be better ?

No, dry doesnt help teeth as most cats swallow it whole, which she probably would do as theres not many left now!

The JWB dry food is fine and she likes it?

Also the vet sheet mentions giving wiskas dentibits and the like now they may help clean the teeth but whats in then IE sugar ? 
is their any thing else some one can recommend or do you think thier ok ?

Theres loads of colourants and EC permitted chemicals in them, and she will probably swallow them the same as biscuits!

sorry to go on but need advice on this thanks all
Thats ok   ;D

One more thing     The vet mentioned feeding her chicken and or rice !  Cats eat cooked rice ?  whats the best way to prepare it
What was this recommended for? Feeding chicken/rice is great for icky tums but not as an ongoing diet, it would be insufficent in most vitamins/minerals and most importantly taurine.
My cats eat rice, i can mix in leftover rice with the juice that comes out the chicken and they eat that, they are not fussy cats tho!  :Luv:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 16:48:00 PM »
Aw bless poor Mary - hope she recovers quickly -  :hug: and furry headbutts to her. From what I understand, dry food is actually pretty useless at keeping their teeth clean, and denta bits are PACKED with sugar (our two lose it completely over them, and get them very rarely). As far as I know, the best thing for cleaning their teeth is things like raw chicken wings, necks, thighs and drumsticks (something I found out from this forum ) but I don't know how she would cope, given she has few teeth left. Maybe smaller chunks of raw meat would be better for her? I've also started using "plaque-off" for my two, as a preventative, and the combination of raw meat 2x a week, plus daily plaque-off, is working wonders for Riley's teeth. He was developing some plaque and a touch of gum inflammation, but it's almost all gone now, and that's after just 3 months :wow:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 16:47:38 PM »
Aw, bless her  :Luv:

No, dry food won't help her teeth.  It's just like you or I crunching biscuits - doesn't clean the teeth.  Unless it's specific dental food.  There's a supplement called plaque off which I use - it's a seaweed supplement that you sprnkle on top of their food.  Vet Uk sell it so you might want to try that.  I also use Logic gel which is a toothpaste that they can lick from the tube or you can add it to food - it contains enzymes that work without you having to brush.  Other than that - raw chicken wings help the teeth if she'll eat them!

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
mary at the vets
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 16:34:21 PM »
Been to the vets today may have mentioned to get marys teeth done 3 extractions and a scale and polish 150 quid ah well MR visa more for you  :innocent:

Now the vet has said she has had, has, has had,   long term problems as she has only few teeth left.   I have been given a sheet about brushing but this isn't a viable option as it will completely stress her- me out. She has only been fed jelly type foods by me as I'm aware of the sugar in the gravy type ones

I would like some opinions on please  ...

Would changing her diet to dry instead of wet be better ? 

What about the fact she has only few teeth left is it a good idea ?

Is any good quality dry OK or is their something particularly suited ?  she gets jwb senior or morrisons  best senior or Purina one

Also the vet sheet mentions giving wiskas dentibits and the like now they may help clean the teeth but whats in then IE sugar ? 
is their any thing else some one can recommend or do you think thier ok ?

sorry to go on but need advice on this thanks all  ;)

One more thing  :innocent:   The vet mentioned feeding her chicken and or rice !  Cats eat cooked rice ?  whats the best way to prepare it

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 16:43:55 PM by bluecat »

Link to CatChat