Author Topic: Pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat appreciation thread  (Read 4930 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat appreciation thread
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 13:14:30 PM »
Leigh, this cat has been eating Helix for a few days now and I'm amazed at how big it's grown - see pics  :evillaugh: :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary

:J: :O: :K: :E:  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 17:12:06 PM »
I will keep an eye out for those sticky as it looks treats by helix  ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 16:49:43 PM »
*breaking news* Rhubarb the MMC has been seen in the company of another, smaller MMC, thought to be a female. This new cat is extremely shy, and it has been impossible to verify whether it is a female or a younger male. However, hopes are high that this new sighting might herald the arrival of new, baby MMC cubs in the not-too-distant future! ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 14:17:47 PM »
Rare photograph of a MMC in the wild!

Edited to add:
"The story accompanying this rare photograph has recently been uncovered. Apparently, this large splendid male has become something of a local mascot in a small upland town in Moldovia. He is well known to the local children, after developing a habit of following them on their halloween trick-or-treating. Nick-named "Rhubarb" due to his resemblance to the popular boiled sweet, he has been seen around the village with increasing frequency over the last few years. While very shy of adults, Rhubarb is relaxed and friendly with the children, possibly due to them seeming less threatening, and their tendancy to share their sweets with him. In recent months he has been seen loitering near the school grounds at break times, when children are happy to feed him with lunchbox treats.
It is thought that Rhubarb has taken to this unusual behaviour due to the encroachment of human settlements into MMC territory, and the associated deforestation and habitat loss that has made this animal so rare. Happily, Rhubarb has unintentionally raised the profile of his species, and concern for the plight of the endangered animal has soared in upland Moldovia. Having become something of an ambassador for his kind, locals say that they have no intentions of discouraging this large, imposing cat from visiting them. They have expressed the hope that Rhubarb may decide to settle down and start a family in the area, where his cubs will be made similarly welcome."

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 16:46:56 PM by unseeliechylde »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 13:36:13 PM »
cat food alternatives like this one in the "As sticky as it looks" range by "helix" (see below) which has made it possible for those of us, like me, without a garden in which to grow candyfloss trees and ginger biscuit bushes to enjoy the company of these lovely exotic creatures.

I have been in contact with the PR department at Helix and there is exciting news for MMC aficionados  :wow:  Plans are afoot (or should I say, apaw) to introduce some new flavours to the range.  Prototypes in production include bubblegum and butterscotch; blancmange and toffee; pink meringue and fudge  ;D

Now, I quizzed Helix about its policy on animal testing and I am reassured to report that taste testing is carried out entirely on human volunteers.  Moreover, the welfare of these individuals is paramount, with ample supplies of water and Gaviscon being provided at all times.

So - I have offered to undertake a recruitment drive for the Helix R & D division over on the Krispy Kreme thread  :rofl:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 22:04:56 PM »
I think that you could be on to something there Christine, probably best not to involve Petrov. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice enough chap and I do understand trhat he has a very large family and a herd of mountain goats to feed but he can be pretty mercinary, best to adopt the softly softly approach and not make it public.
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 21:50:46 PM »
Christine, stickests in the UK are quite hard to find, in Moldavia of course the situation is much easier.

A business opportunity!  Could it be for UHU?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 21:40:56 PM »
Hi folks,

Christine, stickests in the UK are quite hard to find, in Moldavia of course the situation is much easier. I will make enquiries to Helix and see if they can recommend a UK importer. At the moment Mr Malanetsky is very kindly supplying me directly from Moldavia with a smallish commission for his services, such a generous man!. As a member of the Moldavian Cat Club I do qualify for a discount of 5 Moldavian Leu per box which works out as a saving of just under 27 pence a box but this is nullified to a great extent by the stitch up handling charge that I'm paying.

unseeliechylde, you are possibly confusing the Pink and Ginger MMC with its rarer and lesser know "cousin" the Ginger and Pink MMC. It is an easy mistake to make and one that I myself have made on occasions as they are pretty difficult to tell apart. Basically the difference is in the "genes", the P&G MMC has a predominant Pink gene, the "Bagpuss" gene as it is scientifically known whilst the G&P MMC has the predominant ginger colour as a result of the ginger or "Garfield" gene as it is know, you've just got to love the scientific community's sense of humour  ;D. Of course as in all thing in nature there are variations and I'm talking strictly about the "thoroughbred" MMCs.

Teresa, I'll mention the safari idea to Petrov next we speak, he's a very, well let's just say, "enterprising" man and I'm sure that he could speak to his brother-in-law Ladislav the owner of Moldavian Coach Tour Inc. and arrange for one of their fleet of two luxury 1950s vintage minibuses to provide suitable transport arrangements.  I'll be back in touch when I've heard from him.

Sam, nutty, NUTTY,NUTTY!...........................That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me bless you  :hug:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 21:59:13 PM by LeighK »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 20:14:40 PM »
stickests

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 19:56:03 PM »
I have decided to contact the customer service department of Helix tomorrow morning to identify stickests in my area.  I know see that I can be prepared in case a wandering Felis Moldova makes its way into our garden.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 19:11:05 PM »
Leigh you definately deserve to be head of the entertainment committee  :), thank you for being such a tonic.

Perhaps you should organise a Cat a meringue to take us all  to the wrong turning on A216 as the Pink Gin safari sounds fun, incidentally wheres the best bargains on helix as sticky as it looks.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 18:44:09 PM »
Oh what a creative (slighty nutty) bunch we are!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 18:37:28 PM »
Fantastic thread! I am so glad that I am now able to identify the breed to which both the famous, but mis-named "Cheshire cat" and the almost equally famous "bagpuss" belong - though clearly these individuals must have been cross-breeds, as they do not show the true shy and retiring personality typical of purebreed P&G MMC. However, it could be said that the cheshire cat's obscure riddles and tendancy to vanish betrays his true heritage. ;) :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 17:33:05 PM »
Thats great  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:17:12 AM »
 :Crazy: :Crazy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Excellent flavour Leigh, I'm sure Sam will be impressed, I know I am - don't have to start digging a hole in my garden or start looking for a ginger bickie tree!  :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How true Christine, how very true. I do appreciate it when someone goes to the effort of researching the facts. The Pink and Ginger Moldavian Mountain Cat (Felis Moldova), P&G MMC, "peegee" or as it is most often referred to affectionately in educated circles "pink-gin" is indeed a very shy and retiring creature. Traditionally it was only to be found in the Caucasus mountains regions where the majority of these exquisite cats remain to this day mostly because of their native diet however this situation has been largely remedied with the introduction of "synthetic" cat food alternatives like this one in the "As sticky as it looks" range by "helix" (see below) which has made it possible for those of us, like me, without a garden in which to grow candyfloss trees and ginger biscuit bushes to enjoy the company of these lovely exotic creatures.

You are very unlikely to see one round here Teresa unless you take a wrong turn on the A216 and end up in Moldovia in which case I thoroughly reccommend that you contact my friend Mr. P Malanetsky President/Vice-President/Treasurer/Social Activities Organiser of the Moldovian Cat Club and second-hand car salesman (be sure to give him my heartiest regards and thank him for sending me my membership card) and he will take you on a "pink-gin" safari of local confectioners.

;D ;D

Leigh

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:18:59 PM by LeighK »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 22:37:13 PM »
Oooooh how wonderful I must make sure my candfloss tree and ginger biscuit bushes flower this year and hopefully I be able to entice a  Pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat into  the garden  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/color]
Nice one Sam, I wouldn't mind trying the ginger biscuit tree but not keen on candy floss - but if it helps to get a colourful cat like that I'll give it a go. :rofl:

Mary

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 21:45:32 PM »
Oooooh how wonderful I must make sure my candfloss tree and ginger biscuit bushes flower this year and hopefully I be able to entice a  Pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat into  the garden  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 21:35:09 PM »
I defo appreciate the pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat, a very pretty species, not been lucky enough to meet one in the flesh yet though  :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 21:29:52 PM »
Very good Christine  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 20:24:18 PM »
Leigh, darling, that's an owl, not a cat!!! :evillaugh: :Luv2: :naughty: :rofl:

I reckon the attached photo could quite easily fall into the pink and ginger CATagory.  :naughty: :Luv2:

Mary

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 20:02:18 PM »
Classic  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 20:01:12 PM »
I appreciate the pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat, Leigh

:wow:

I looked it up on the Internet and discovered this:

"An unusually shy species of cat, the pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat is normally restricted to its range on the western slopes of the Caucasus mountains.  Maintaining its unique colouring by a diet of candyfloss and ginger biscuits, the MMC is a frequent visitor of confectioners in the former Soviet bloc, where its distinctive colouring acts as the perfect camouflage amongst the products in stock".

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 19:26:59 PM »
Such a beautifully coloured cat Leigh, strange I have never had the pleasure of rescuing one  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 19:25:22 PM »
Now that's one heck of an unique kitty, even beats Oliver!! :wow: :wow: :wow:  Very impressive Leigh ;)

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
Pink and ginger Moldovian Mountain Cat appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 19:16:20 PM »

;D

Leigh

Link to CatChat