Author Topic: best wet food for toothless cat ( calici )  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: best wet food for toothless cat ( calici )
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 21:34:48 PM »
I've given him unmashed up felix today and he loved it. Ate much more than usual, then looked at me as if to say, cor Mum, that's more like it!!! ;D

Aww, bless him!  ;D  Jaffa has most of his teeth but he swallows dry food whole and pretty much hoovers up his wet.  I don't think his teeth play  much part!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 20:26:40 PM »
Bless him, hes probably been wondering why he has had to have mashed food everyday  :innocent:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 15:53:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your help.
I've given him unmashed up felix today and he loved it. Ate much more than usual, then looked at me as if to say, cor Mum, that's more like it!!! ;D ;D
In a couple of days will try him on his biscuits as well.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 14:40:43 PM »
Sooty was the same - would munch away happily on anything including hard dry food when he had no teeth left aged 18.5+.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 14:33:01 PM »
One of our oldies has no teeth left either after having the last removed a couple of months ago.  As soon as we got her home from surgery she ran out the box and headed for the dry food and started munching away quite happily.  They really are quite resilient and can eat just about anything so give different things a go.  You'll soon know what she can and can't manage!

Good luck!! x
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 00:39:13 AM »
I used to whizz all my toothless cats' food with a hand blender until I twigged on that she could munch huge chunks of chicken with no problem  :innocent: 

I'm sure I've seen Classic in Pets at Home, is it in orange-y packaging?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 14:34:33 PM »
I didn't realise either, and with my first toothless cat, I spent months putting her dry food through the blender until one day she pinched Gingers normal biscuits and I realised she could eat them perfectly well!! Ginger used to sulk if he didn't get his supper biscuits, although he needed a hand with some of them, as he dropped them a lot, and they were too sticky for him to get back out of the bowl.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 14:19:27 PM »
Hey theres nothing wrong with a big of concern :hug: :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 14:07:23 PM »
I have been getting Choice at Sainsburys but they haven't got it at the moment. Niether my Tescos or Somerfields stock it.
I honestly didn't realise that toothless cats were so able to eat ordinary foods - thanks for that! I'm a bit of a worry guts with my babies ;D ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 13:32:56 PM »
Sorry, I meant Classic, yes Choice is the dog food :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for the advice. I think I will just try Felix which is what Sweep eats. Have only had him for five months and have never had a cat with no teeth before, so was worried that I wasn't doing the right thing for him.

I've seen Classic at our local Sainsburys, although they don't always have it in either. I buy it for my lot sometimes too, after reading that site of Dr Addie's. Funny that such a cheap cat food would be good for mouth problems isnt it?

By the way I wouldnt underestimate the ability of toothless cats to eat just about anything LOL! My Elsa who I lost recently age 20, only had 1 or 2 teeth left, and she managed to eat most things, even dry food and  including being able to strip the meat of a chicken drumstick or wing with her very strong gums!!

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 13:07:14 PM »
Sorry, I meant Classic, yes Choice is the dog food :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for the advice. I think I will just try Felix which is what Sweep eats. Have only had him for five months and have never had a cat with no teeth before, so was worried that I wasn't doing the right thing for him.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 13:00:01 PM »
My Ging only has 2 teeth and he gobbles up anything he fancies,but then he loves his food but still looks skinny :shify:

Is butchers choice a dog food? 
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
I have had a couple of toothless cats now, and both have been able to eat anything, wet, dry and raw. I have seen the Classic Cat Food in Morrisons and Wilkinsons, but haven't been to Tesco for ages now (roadworks near my local one, and can't be bothered with them!!) - you could try e-mailing them for a list of suppliers in your area.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
best wet food for toothless cat ( calici )
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:47:10 PM »
Jonty had remaining teeth out 3 months ago for recurring calici problems. I fed him Butchers "Choice" after reading Dr Addie's site on stomatitis etc. Finding it very difficult to find at the moment and he's not too keen on Whiskas. Loves the pate type foods but they work out expensive.
Would be very grateful for any advice
Linda x

Link to CatChat