Author Topic: Hows the best way to get my boy to go in and out of his new cat flap?!  (Read 4411 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Hows the best way to get my boy to go in and out of his new cat flap?!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 19:10:27 PM »
Sounds like he has figured out what the flap is for, and what the human is for also. Ignore him when he meows at you in that meaningful way and he may surprise you! ;D

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 17:11:54 PM »
Yes thats what i was thinking, he wont want to go out in the cold - i dont but i have no choice !!  He  just doesnt seem to have the hang of pushing the catflap ! He looks out of it and meows to me to open it for him which i do !  and sometimes he will go through it and sometimes he wont ! :naughty:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 19:33:22 PM »
Betsy it could take quite a while cos there is nothing to entice him out at this time of year and he probably gets out and thinks .......Oh nooooooo its wet and cold , I wanna be back inside again...............and who can blame him  ;D

I know it took mine  about a month to learn to use it, Sasa longer, I think!

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 19:16:25 PM »
I am noting all these ploys down to use on Polly,beautiful but slightly thick cat from this household  :sneaky:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 18:50:41 PM »
When I've had friendly cats (as opposed to ferals) who seemed a bit thick on the catflap front I've got a large cardboard box (which as we konw is irrististable to any real cat) and made a flap in one of the sides.

A bit of play each evening with a favourite toy will soon have him rushing in and out of the box via the flap so that he gets the idea of having to push his way in and out.

It should then be easier for him to use a catflap where you can actually see whats on the other side before making the plunge.

It could of course be that he doesn't want to use it...... (a bit like the joke about the boy who doesn't talk and when he finally does says its because he had nothing to say....)

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 18:29:30 PM »
How long do you reckon it will take him !?  Hes not been out at all today - but it has been raining !  Hes just really unsure of going through it ! Bless him.  :Luv:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 17:35:05 PM »
Betsy I would make sure he cant get through the flap while you are out, this is very important cos he is not ready.

Very good point Gill

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 17:20:38 PM »
Betsy I would make sure he cant get through the flap while you are out, this is very important cos he is not ready.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 13:22:18 PM »
wanna swap!? Smidgen, having discovered cat flaps  - the use of, is unstoppable. Even with the locks on, weighted barricades in place and constant vigilance, he is out through said locked flap quicker than you can say Jack Robinson - I am at my wit's end!!! :Crazy:

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 13:20:40 PM »
Thanks everyone, still struggling a bit to get him to go in and out of his catflap.  We are having to open it for him and then with a little encouragement he goes through it !  he will stand outside for ages just looking through at me on the other side, and only until i open it will he then go through .  Hows he going to go one when im not their .. :'(
Betsy and Thomas

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 17:15:11 PM »
You could try crouching outside the back door so that he can see your face and encourage him to join you outside. Of course this means two things:
1. You'll probably freeze to death and
2. Your neighbours will think you're a tad strange!  :rofl:

I used to hold the flap open for mine and throw a toy through for them to run after or something on the end of a some string that would disappear through the cat door and they could chase on the other side. It didn't take them long to get used to going in and out and I now have them on the doors inside the house as well. Cats have the run of the house and I don't have to keep opening and shutting doors all the time!
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 16:28:46 PM »
Yes I found that they could get out but always had more probs getting back in.

I didnt think Sasa could use it at all but found that when I blocked it up to try and keep her and misa in at night, she broke out and ran away, then found she could get in too when she came back.

She does have more problems than the others cos her little legs are shorted abd cos she usues her nose to pushe it, so if wing is blowing against the flap it takes her a few goes to get out.

I find that all cats have their own way of getting in and out too, Sasa pushes corner of flap with nose, Misa pushes with paw followed by head, Ducha pushes a paw through and levers it up and Franta just pushes with head I think.  ;D

Forgot to say that Kocka used to sit inside and bang with paw, so I would hear flap.........flap flap ........and if I didnt go and open it for her to walk through by then , it would be come ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,flap flap flap flap flap flap  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

To get back she would climb up on the window sill and tap the window.....tap, tap tap and if that didnt work she would bring her claws down the window which was like chalk squealing on a blackboard. When I went out she would look at me all angelically and climb on my shoulder to be carried in, in the manner she thought she deserved  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When I wasnt there she would come and go all by herself  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 16:33:41 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 16:22:57 PM »
Due to circumstances it will be the first time they have been out since they were six weeks old and their now 14 months- should be interesting
Just take it slowly with them, my youngest were 1year before going out and it took them 2 weeks before going over the doorstep! :shocked:  On the other hand they may zoom out and take to it like a duck to water.
If they are nervous leave the door open so they can make a quick return to safety  ;)

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
Hi my last two cats would never use the cat flap if I was there to open the door instead :rofl: I'm sure next week will be fine. I ve got to go through it myself next week when I let my two out for the first time. Due to circumstances it will be the first time they have been out since they were six weeks old and their now 14 months- should be interesting :scared:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »
smidgen's 'coming back in approach' these days seems to be 'launch yourself from about three feet back and just jump headfirst' - I have seen him land about two feet from the door on the inside when he is coming through it :rofl: :rofl: so it is important that the 'in' motion is always unobstructed...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
Been there, done that. It took Freddie about an hour to use to get out but about a week to use to get back in!  Had to prop it open

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 20:05:43 PM »
He will get used to it eventually, I think by the time you go back to work he will be using it.  Also when flaps are new they can be very stiff, they need to be used to loosen them up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 20:19:08 PM by Yvonne »
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 14:18:09 PM »
 :thanks: everyone for your advice - this is the problem its so cold ! and to keep it open all day it makes the kitchen freezing.. just have to be patient i guess ! :)
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 14:13:54 PM »
we kept ours open for a few days with an elastic band although now isn't the best time for that as it's so cold!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 14:12:42 PM »
Mine took a bit of time to use the flap and agrre , do not push him through.

Not really the right time of year for learning about flaps  :rofl: :rofl:

I would stop opening the door unless it gets really desperate and if he wants in and out, to open the flap for him. Often a good way is to prop the flap open to start with but its too cold.

I would recommend that if he is not using it without a problem when you go back to work, then it is shut off so he cannot get out until ge is comfortable using it from both sides.

One other small thing , is it at the right height for his little legs from both sides? I had to build up the step outside cos it was too low and Sasas little legs couldnt get her in.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 14:00:47 PM »
you are doomed, Betsy, doomed ... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 13:58:52 PM »

He may, of course, just be messing with your head if he has previously been exposed to them. He is seeing how much hand-waiting he can extract from you, they do that you know - very good at psychological manipulation, cats ... ;D
;D yes im beginning to learn all about them !! If he doesnt want to do something he will just simply lie down and roll over ! but hes so cute ! :Luv:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 13:55:15 PM »
He may, of course, just be messing with your head if he has previously been exposed to them. He is seeing how much hand-waiting he can extract from you, they do that you know - very good at psychological manipulation, cats ... ;D

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 13:48:01 PM »
Don't try to 'bundle' him through the flap as that will scare him. Try placing something really tempting the other side of the flap, then raising the flap so he can see it. As he goes through, lower the flap onto his back so he gets used to the feel of it running down his spine. Do the same for coming in. Sadly mine needed no encouragement whatsoever and have mastered the art of breaking out in the dead of night so I now have to barricade it so they can't get out!!
Ok thank you he should be used to catflaps as the sanctuary where we got him from had them all over so i presumed he used them !  Will now have to go and get something to entice him through it.
 :)
Betsy and Thomas

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 13:46:27 PM »
Don't try to 'bundle' him through the flap as that will scare him. Try placing something really tempting the other side of the flap, then raising the flap so he can see it. As he goes through, lower the flap onto his back so he gets used to the feel of it running down his spine. Do the same for coming in. Sadly mine needed no encouragement whatsoever and have mastered the art of breaking out in the dead of night so I now have to barricade it so they can't get out!!

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Hows the best way to get my boy to go in and out of his new cat flap?!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 13:41:59 PM »
Thomas has just started to go out and hes doing really well  ;D  I have just had a cat flap fitted on the back door so that he can come and go as he pleases in the day -and to keep the door shut cause its freezing !! he wont go through the catflap unless i push him through it ! and i feel like im pushing him away to go !  he calls at the back door to come back in and just looks through the catflap but wont attempt to go through it, so i have to open the door and in he comes !  Now next week we are both at work so hows he going to go on getting in as the back door will be locked !   :-:
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat