Author Topic: Quality protein in dry cat food  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
Re: Quality protein in dry cat food
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
Mark, if you think about what a cat's natural diet is i.e. small birds and mammals - which they eat, skin, bones, fur, inards and all, I'd say that the poultry meal (with all bits of the bird in) is more appropriate nutritionally than just plain meat meal TBH.

I do know that those folks who do feed raw to their furries will supplement with bonemeal and other bits and bobs.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Quality protein in dry cat food
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
Not sure if this should have gone in Health but thought more people would see it here. I was looking at Burns website and there was info on protein in dry catfood. It says that some foods contain poultry meal and others contain poultry meat meal. The difference is poultry meal is the whole bird whereas poultry meat meal is just the meat. It says that it comes down to how well the protein can be utilised. In poultry meal, they include lungs, gristle etc which is low-quality protein and difficult to digest so best to look out for poultry meat meal  ;D

I know this has been discussed before but important so worth repeating. The good thing is, PAH own brand is poultry meat meal so when it's on offer, it's no more expensive than buying the lowest quality foods like whiskas dry or go-cat which are full of cereal and other low-grade fillers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:53:01 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat