Author Topic: Cat-sitting - and Lilies!  (Read 1849 times)

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
Re: Cat-sitting - and Lilies!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 14:52:14 PM »
I actuallt didnt realise they were poisonous untill I came on here before getting Leo !

(Thanks guys !  :hug:)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 14:20:46 PM »
Morrisons seem to be making it more obvious on their packaging now - last time I saw a bunch they had a circular sticker on the main wrap rather than it being on the main packet blurb thing (if that makes sense!)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 21:10:39 PM »
I spotted some recently in the window of some cat owning neighbours, got my husband to go round and tell them as they had two cats.
I think they smell absolutely revolting anyhow.
Someone gave my ( non cat owning ) mum some recently when I was staying there and I was gagging at the pong. I double bagged them and chucked them in the bin, just in case any tiny bit of them dropped on the floor as my mum has cat visitors.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 14:59:51 PM »
Must admit, I've had cats all my life (47 now) and I only heard about it a few years ago.  I dug all mine up from my garden and never buy them for the house either now.

Mary
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 15:00:36 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »
Iv been to a few places where they have warnings but they are never very big, who reads the small print on flower wrapping!  :(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 23:05:55 PM »
 :heeee heeee:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 22:39:32 PM »
 :-[ :slap:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 22:01:11 PM »
I have lost count of the times I have had stalks sticking out of the kitchen bin  :scared:

:evillaugh: sorry  :naughty:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 21:20:45 PM »
Fortunately I am violently allergic to the smell so no problems here!!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 21:19:59 PM »
They should have a big warning on  :scared:

I only found out just over a year ago and always had lilies. I have lost count of the times I have had stalks sticking out of the kitchen bin  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Cat-sitting - and Lilies!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 19:17:28 PM »
Last week I met a couple of the cats I'll be sitting for over this xmas, whilst I was there I could smell lilies and said as much to the customer. They were in a vase in the kitchen and I was just about to say, did you know how toxic lilies can be to cats - when her friend, who was visiting, said, oh those are the lilies I brought you the other day, smell lovely don't they! So I didnt say anything then to avoid upsetting the friend, but phoned the customer later to tell her - and she had no idea about lilies being so poisonous to cats.

Just been over to one of my other cat sitting customers (owners already away) - and what do I find, a great big vase of lilies (smelt them as soon as I walked in the door!) - obviously newly bought as they were just starting to open - well they got chucked straight in the wheely bin before I did anything else!! I will leave them a note about it, in case they wonder where their lililes had gone LOL!

Frightening really, that some owners still don't know about this.

Link to CatChat