Author Topic: A week tomorrow and my boy can play out !!  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A week tomorrow and my boy can play out !!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 16:17:33 PM »
Im a bit worried about other cats going in through it though !

Which they probably will do if your putting a warm bed and food in there!  :evillaugh:
Theres two options, a magnet you put on a collar or an ultra jazzy microchip reading cat flap!

Im anti collar but if you have to use one then make sure its a quick release type - the ones with a break away clip. The type with a 2" elastic insert are not great because they fail to snap more often than the clips.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 13:00:25 PM »
We've just started to let our two out for the first time; they're 8 years old and never been out before so they don't go far, but they do absolutely love it!  We don't have a catflap yet either but now we're fairly confident that they are not going too far (they can't jump the fences yet!) so when we are home we leave the utility room window open and they jump in and out when they want.  Milly likes to stay out for a couple of hours at a time (she sits staring up at the fence waiting for birds to land on it  :evillaugh:) but Geoffrey just likes a 10 minute stroll then comes straight back in.  It's so nice to watch them enjoying a little of the great outdoors but it's always a relief when they come straight back home again! 

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
Good luck - do you have a cat flap

My heart was in my mouth a few weeks ago when Homer went out for the first time.  I fitted him with a loc8tor tracker for my own piece of mind:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=loc8tor

It was well worth the money I thought
No we dont have a catflap so we are just going to have to keep the back door open (in jan!!) hopefully it wont be to cold !... In time think we wil have to get a catflap for him to come in and out of. we are putting one on the shed for him in the daytime when we are both in work so he can keep out of the rain etc... Im a bit worried about other cats going in through it though ! :-:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 18:01:25 PM »
Good luck - do you have a cat flap

My heart was in my mouth a few weeks ago when Homer went out for the first time.  I fitted him with a loc8tor tracker for my own piece of mind:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=loc8tor

It was well worth the money I thought
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 17:45:37 PM »
 Yes thats true i never thought of that .. although dont most people let off fireworks on new years eve and not new years day ( in the daytime?)  if that makes sense !  We was only going to let him out for 10-15 minutes - hopefully he wont run away ! :scared:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 17:12:21 PM »
Hes keen to go and beat that cat up i reckon!

I mentioned the fireworks before too, some are fine but an extra 24hrs wont hurt him (not that he will agree  :evillaugh: )

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 16:02:32 PM »
I personally woudl wait a few days longer Betsy, a week tomorrow is New Years Day, so you might get people letting off fireworks (or they will have done NEw YEars Eve), and you dont want him to get scared/startled on his first trip out.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 14:45:32 PM »
We'll look forward to the news!! :wow:

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 14:39:51 PM »
Yes defitnetly ! and hopefully the spraying will stop !  I will let you know how he goes on when the 'big day' arrives ! :wow:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 14:29:35 PM »
great news - bet you'll be pleased when he goes out too! ;)

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 14:28:16 PM »
Yes hes been done. like i say hes desperate to go out and is still spraying here and their ! :sneaky:  but ive followed advice on here regarding cleaning it and the smell has gone.  :)
Betsy and Thomas

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 14:09:35 PM »
I assume if he is microchipped he is also neutered?

It is an exciting day for all when they go out for the first time - such a big world to explore ...

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
A week tomorrow and my boy can play out !!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 13:59:53 PM »
We will have had him 4 weeks then ... he cant wait to go out !  im being cruel to be kind !  Hubby wants to let him out but ive shown him all your advice from my other posts and hes agreeing with you all !  Just going to be worried that he wont come back for ages or worse that he gets lost, but hes microchipped and hopefully he should be fine... :scared:
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat