Author Topic: Cat Cancer  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
Re: Cat Cancer
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 17:11:30 PM »
Yes the vet seems to think its because of the cancer in her nose, which is causing her to sneeze, which isn't to good because she sneezes everywhere, but im just keeping my hopes that shes okay, and that she isn't suffering
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006
Gosport, Hampshire have you seen him?
Neuteured Male, 3 yrs old (now)
Tabby, white under chin, missed very much, our Bailey!

Alfie, Lu-Lu...
muchly missed Bailey and Pizza

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »
is the sneezing to do with the cancer? they are a lot of bugs around at the moment. Cats with sneezing fits can get bloody noses just like we can by sneezing too hard.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 09:15:02 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed she continues to stay well, and you can do something about the sneezing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 06:14:57 AM »
Glad to hear she is doing fine right now, hope it continues for a long time to come

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 21:03:36 PM »
Hello,
sorry about the late reply Pizza had her vet appointment last friday, the vet said she seemed fine and to come back in another month to see how she's doing, although recently her nose has changed and it looks as though its getting worse, its like she has a bumpy nose, and a new bump has grown on it, shes contantly sneezing as well...
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 22:58:18 PM »
Sounds like pts doesn't need to be considered just yet then.
Please spay your cat

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 22:43:13 PM »
Hello All...

yes Michelle and Desley...she is eating fine, and jumping about, and being very vocal just lately...but she has been sneezing ocassionally and sometimes she sneezes blood, and she does sleep alot of the day, her vet appointment is just for a check up on friday, but we shall see what he has to say, she will be having another anti-biotics injection aswell
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 15:28:39 PM »
I will pray that she has longer with you, is she still eating well and having a good quality of life? Dont let the vets push you if you dont feel she is ready, and CS's advice is a good one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 14:58:12 PM »
Pizza has her vet appointment this friday, the vet is going to see how she is doing and wheather we should have her pts :( i'll let you all know how it goes

I really dont think she needs to be PTS -
As You have said, She is full of life and eating well.
I am sure she has alot longer to live xxxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 14:05:25 PM »
I hope that Pizza will be staying with you for a while and remember you know your cat best  :hug: :hug:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »
I really hope she's ok. If it helps, I firmly believe that the cat tells you when they want to go. It really is important not to dwell on it or the time you have left won't be as special.

Here's something you could do that may help. Take a picture every week and save it somewhere. When you feel that she's telling you to let go but you're not 100%, look back on the photos. It won't be a pleasant experience but you will see that you are doing the right thing.

Then if you get that horrible guilt like I still have a year after I lost my Hope to CRF you have some sort of "evidence" to reassure you.

Good luck today  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
Pizza has her vet appointment this friday, the vet is going to see how she is doing and wheather we should have her pts :( i'll let you all know how it goes
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
One of my cats Albert had cancer of the nose and he too had steroids, this does seem to help with the healing process as well but sadly at some point a decision will have to be made  :'(  When Albert was being treated, I had one vet who wanted to try different things but I knew his time was short lived as I felt he was suffering, I took him to see my other vet and asked him to be honest with me and he made the decision to put him out of his misery.  You will know in your heart when the time is right, as long as he has a quality of life and is eating and not in any discomfort, I'd keep him going and enjoy having him  :hug:  :hug:

Thanks for your reply Dawn, i'm sorry to hear you also had a cat suffer with this awful condition, i understand how hard it must have been for you, but i also agree having a cat put out of their misery is the right thing if they are suffering, but for now like you said i will keep loving her, and giving her lots of tlc :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:25:49 AM by Joanne_06 »
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »
and i don't want her to suffer...but the thing is when do i realise she is suffering? other then the physical symptoms

That was the thing i worried about most too.
I would often ask on here what people thought because i didnt want him to suffer.
BUT i can honestly say that i dont think he suffered, He ate for england and it didnt seem to bother him.
My one fear was i would have to make the decision to PTS and i was worried i would either make that choice too early or too late and let him suffer.

I was lucky (if you can put it that way) as Skaggy had a stroke and callasped.....I took him to the Vets and knew it was time to let go. It all happened so quickly, he had been well the day before.

Thanks Michelle, for your reply, i agree it is worrying i don't want her to suffer in any way, at the moment Pizza is eating, jumping about, being vocal, and sleeps alot but thats her normal self, so for now i will just keep hopes of that she is alright
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »
I would ask about them - my vet said there wasnt anything that could be done, but the rescue's vet gave her monthly steroid jabs, which did clear it up. I think you will know by her quality of life, and things like eating and playing will be big signs. The biggest thing is when she stops getting enjoyment out of things, and the bad times outweigh the good, it is time.

Okay thanks Desley,
next visit to the vets, will be after christmas now...but i will ask about the steroid jabs if it helps clear it up, thanks for your support
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 23:31:52 PM »
and i don't want her to suffer...but the thing is when do i realise she is suffering? other then the physical symptoms

That was the thing i worried about most too.
I would often ask on here what people thought because i didnt want him to suffer.
BUT i can honestly say that i dont think he suffered, He ate for england and it didnt seem to bother him.
My one fear was i would have to make the decision to PTS and i was worried i would either make that choice too early or too late and let him suffer.

I was lucky (if you can put it that way) as Skaggy had a stroke and callasped.....I took him to the Vets and knew it was time to let go. It all happened so quickly, he had been well the day before.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 22:15:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about Pizza Joanne, I hope that you have more happy playful years with her and that the onset will be slow  :hug: xxxx
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 22:09:07 PM »
One of my cats Albert had cancer of the nose and he too had steroids, this does seem to help with the healing process as well but sadly at some point a decision will have to be made  :'(  When Albert was being treated, I had one vet who wanted to try different things but I knew his time was short lived as I felt he was suffering, I took him to see my other vet and asked him to be honest with me and he made the decision to put him out of his misery.  You will know in your heart when the time is right, as long as he has a quality of life and is eating and not in any discomfort, I'd keep him going and enjoy having him  :hug:  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 22:02:39 PM »
I would ask about them - my vet said there wasnt anything that could be done, but the rescue's vet gave her monthly steroid jabs, which did clear it up. I think you will know by her quality of life, and things like eating and playing will be big signs. The biggest thing is when she stops getting enjoyment out of things, and the bad times outweigh the good, it is time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 20:34:30 PM »
Hi,

So sorry to hear about Pizza -
My cat had this too SCC, He lasted a long time from when the cancer first started. Like You I used to keep a draw full of antibiotics for when it looked infected. I also used Matacam for pain relief.
Your vet is right, there isnt anything that can be done, so just keep loving her.

Also....

Michelle,
is that your cat pictured? our Pizza's isn't as bad as that at the moment

Yes thats Skaggy.
It took about 3yrs for his nose to get to the state. That picture was taken on a bad day when he had knocked the scab off. Normally it was quiet dry and scabbed over.
He had another 8mths or so after that picture was taken. He actually died of a stroke a year ago.

When his nose was bad like that i gave him antibiotics so he didnt get an infection.

I am sure that Pizza has many years left - As long as she is happy and eating well.
Sorry i cannot give you happier news but you already know that there isnt a cure xxxxxx

Oh Right,
poor Skaggy, Pizza's scab usually knocks off, i've seen her scratching it sometimes...i'm sorry to hear Skaggy passed away, and yes i do hope Pizza has years left although her nose looks worrying, and i don't want her to suffer...but the thing is when do i realise she is suffering? other then the physical symptoms
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 18:53:25 PM »
Hi,

My cat had this too SCC, He lasted a long time from when the cancer first started. Like You I used to keep a draw full of antibiotics for when it looked infected. I also used Matacam for pain relief.
Your vet is right, there isnt anything that can be done, so just keep loving her.

Also....

Michelle,

Yes thats Skaggy.
It took about 3yrs for his nose to get to the state. That picture was taken on a bad day when he had knocked the scab off. Normally it was quiet dry and scabbed over.
He had another 8mths or so after that picture was taken. He actually died of a stroke a year ago.

When his nose was bad like that i gave him antibiotics so he didnt get an infection.

I am sure that Pizza has many years left - As long as she is happy and eating well.
Sorry i cannot give you happier news but you already know that there isnt a cure xxxxxx

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 18:30:21 PM »
Hi,

My cat had this too SCC, He lasted a long time from when the cancer first started. Like You I used to keep a draw full of antibiotics for when it looked infected. I aso used Matacam for pain relief.

Also....

Michelle,
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 18:31:18 PM by Joanne_06 »
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 18:27:58 PM »
Hi Desley,
no the vet didn't give her steroid jabs, do you think i need to ask? just have the tablets at the moment, and shes had 2 anti-biotic injections
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 20:15:49 PM »
Fingers crossed for her - has the vet given any steroid jabs? Pebbles had those for hers.
Please spay your cat

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 20:13:13 PM »
Hello Again Everyone,
Thanks for the replies!

yes Blackcat she does have a pink nose with white skin, and yes i agree i do not want her suffering and therefore when the vet says she has had her time, i think that will have to be...at the moment she's still eating, and drinking fine, and jumping around, and being quite vocal like herself, just her nose has become affected through the SCC, at the moment shes getting lots of TLC...i just feel really worried about her, and her nose just looks as though its getting worse
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 17:05:09 PM »
Hi,

My cat had this too SCC, He lasted a long time from when the cancer first started. Like You I used to keep a draw full of antibiotics for when it looked infected. I aso used Matacam for pain relief.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 16:58:59 PM »
Iv known cats with SCC and sadly it goes the way that most cancer takes  :(

Enjoy the time you have with her, be brave and give her the most precious thing you can, a peaceful end   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:12 AM »
If it is scabbing on the outside of the nose, it sounds like Squamous Cell Carcinoma (PEbbles had pre-cancerous scabs). Sadly, it is one of the hardest places to treat, hence your vet telling you there is nothing else - although Pebbles had monthly steroid jabs for a while to keep it under control, it might be worth asking about. I know pts is a hard thing to think about, but if she starts to suffer, it is necessary, I dont think you would want to see her suffer to die 'naturally'. Good luck with her, and do enjoy the time you have together
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about Pizza Joanne.   Try to enjoy the time you have left with her and as the others say... you will know when its time...

Sxx  Big Hugs heading yours and Pizza' way.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:50:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about Pizza  :hug: This is a sad and difficult decision for anyone to have to make.....Its basically quality of life what matter's here....and as everyone else has mentioned try not to dwell on the inevitable..... :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 00:51:51 AM »
I am so sorry about Pizza, but as Helen said just make the most of the time you have together. :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 00:25:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about Pizza  :hug:  Please try to enjoy the time you have left together, try to make it a happy time instead of dwelling on the inevitable heartbreaking outcome  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 21:49:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about Pizza hope she is comfortable :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 19:53:57 PM »
Does she have a white nose with pink skin? if so it is probably a melanoma from sun-exposure. I imagine that over time it will start to interfere with her breathing. When we take responsibility for our animals we also take responsibility for ensuring that we are not keeping them alive once their quality of life is seriously impaired. It is hard to predict when this might happen as only you know your baby. But during the 5 years I was a vet assistant, I did see a number of animals suffering badly because their owners were unwilling to part with them. Take your vets advice within the limits of your own knowledge of your baby, but please, do not be responsible for keeping her alive when she is suffering ...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 19:52:16 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Pizza and hope that this is not hurting her  :hug:

Offline Joanne_06

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Pizza x
Cat Cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 19:39:09 PM »
We recently took Pizza (16 years old) our cat to the vet, and they've said she has cancer in the nose which keeps scabbing...they've said she could last another 2 weeks or even 2 months or more :( but they've said as she's in the early stages she may last alot longer...but if she came to the worse the vet suggested PTS, but i don't personally want that to happen

She's had several anti-botic injections, and tablets which helps to relieve the symptoms, and as her nose sometimes goes into a picked scab it can become infected, but we have the tablets just in case that happens, just wondered has anyone else had a cat suffer with the condition?

Also thought i would add the vet said theres nothing we can do to help her....other then let it carry on
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 19:47:50 PM by Joanne_06 »
Bailey (pictured below)
Missing Since 24-09-2006

Alfie, Lu-Lu...

Link to CatChat