Author Topic: plaque off product  (Read 2082 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: plaque off product
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 13:39:09 PM »
Can I hijack or piggyback this thread as was just going to ask the same question. Swampy's breath isn't too nice  :-[ to be near   :faint: when I kiss him (only 500 times a day then). What's the safest and easiest to use with elderly cats with kidney or liver issues or are they all safe? I'm leaning to the gel if he'll co-operate as he already gets some potassium in his food when he's having a slow day.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 21:43:10 PM »
I use Plaque Off as well, and it does seem to be helping  ;D

Sprinkled on his wet food in the evening, he gobbles it down without even noticing  ;)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »
I use plaque off for both my boys.  I sprinkle it on top of their wet food twice a day and it doesn't put them off their food.  It's hard to say whether it works or not as I don't know what they'd be like without it.  They also get logic gel when I remember  :-[ and I've started giving them raw chicken wings, although Mosi won't eat them.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 11:34:54 AM »
I use plaque of for Lucas & Riley, they're only 9 months but my last cat Tiggy had hardly any teeth having had lots removed when she was still middle aged.  The ones she did have left kept getting great big chunks of tartar that the vet had to pick off every time we went so I thought start the boys off young!  The first time I sprinkled it on they were a bit wary but now they gobble the food like they haven't even noticed.

I also tried chicken wings (only the once  :sick:) but they weren't interested, one of them licked a wing and the other one completely ignored it!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 11:13:54 AM »
Minimopsical says the Logik Gel is very very tasty.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:13:29 AM »
I believe cooked bones are not good for them but raw bones are fine.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
Hmmmm .... lots of good advice. Thanks

Would it be sensible to get the plaqueoff to soften the tartar and then get some raw meat or chicken wings to clean it off? Is that a logical way forward?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »
i dont rate biscuits for their teeth either. Ruth, I Don't blame you for being squeamish, mine had them once and never again!! You can also try chunks of meat too, but need to start them small and increase size.
The bone in raw chicken is supposed to be OK for them, but I had to strip the meat off the ones for mine, they couldnt quite get the hang of it (although Molly was 14 at the time!!)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 11:05:36 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
Des is right, raw chicken wings are meant to be great for their teeth. I just have to stop being squeamish about raw chicken and get some for Lexy.

I quite like the idea of the raw chicken wing but might Toby choke on the bone?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »
I don't personally rate dental biscuits. Lexy's first food was the Oral Hills Science range. All it did was make her fat, she barely chewed. And its was vet recommended.

I find the Logic gel works better, she likes that. And she doens't grumble at me if I smear it on her leg.

Des is right, raw chicken wings are meant to be great for their teeth. I just have to stop being squeamish about raw chicken and get some for Lexy.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
If he has dry food, the larger kibble is better for teeth apparently. Some cats will break it down with the teeth before eating it.... Lexy doens't know the meaning...she just chews once and swallows!  :evillaugh:

From what I understand dry food does absolutely nothing in terms of cleaning cats teeth as the kibbles just shatter when they are bitten into by the cat. This is what my vet told me a while ago. Mind you - the very rare occasion Toby gets dry food I always give him a brand (Nutro Choice) that claims to clean the teeth. The kibble is quite large. So who knows?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »
I have tried both Plaque Off and Logic Gel, I find Plaque Off easier to get Molly to take. You could also try chicken wings.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:49:11 AM »
Yep you can use that. I have the little bottle but Lexy isn't overly keen on it so I just use Logic Gel. A centimeter of that on Toby's dry food or smear it on his front paw and he'll lick it off. Its very palatable.

The Plaque Off is good though I find Lexy sniffs her food longer and tends to avoid it for longer when I put that on, so its a once in a blue moon type of thing for variety.

If he has dry food, the larger kibble is better for teeth apparently. Some cats will break it down with the teeth before eating it.... Lexy doens't know the meaning...she just chews once and swallows!  :evillaugh:

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
plaque off product
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:41:17 AM »
I've been lookng at ways to keep Tobys teeth clean. He has dental issues due to the FIV and I want to keep them to a minimum if I can.

I've never been that successful at cleaning his teeth - but has anyone ever seen this product?

http://www.molarltd.co.uk/plaqueoff/proden_plaqueoff_animal.htm

And does it work?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks ;)

Link to CatChat