Author Topic: Help please, Hektor is sick  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Help please, Hektor is sick
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 20:18:40 PM »
Worm cysts can live in muscle tissue and activate as they wish, which is why regular worming is important even if your cat doesnt hunt/is an indoor cat  ;D
Quite gross when you think about  :sick:

Tickles to hektor  :Luv2:

If it were me id be worming monthly for a while

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 18:47:59 PM »
fantastic

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 14:26:57 PM »
Good news  :) 
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 14:24:12 PM »
OH what a relief for you!! so glad it is nothing serious!! He is such a gorgeous kittie :Luv: you may have to keep him shut indoors cos I am heading your way  :car: :car: :car: with a cat basket  :Luv:

Offline Rchappers

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 14:21:06 PM »
Thanks everyone, the vet said he thinks it's just worms and so I've given both Drontal.  Hektor is acting like nothings happened and is back to his normal self, has eaten breakfast and seems fine.

Thanks for the support, will let you know if anything changes :Luv: :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »
Hope you managed to see a vet this morning and that Hektor is on the way to recovery  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
Hope the little guy is much better today and please let us know what the vet says

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:53:41 AM »
First-time worming it is usual to give a dose and repeat in a couple of weeks. Perhpaps the rescue had only done the first dose...? Seeing the vet is a good idea though so I suggest you proceed as you plan to. In the mean time, lots of cuddles and bland food like chicken or poached fish...

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:13:58 AM »
I think wormers only actually kills the worms and not the larvae so there's a good chance the rescue have wormed him.  I've had kittens in that I've wormed and they've coughed up worms a week later.  It's a good idea getting him into the vets for a checkup in the morning but keep a close eye on him tonight.  Make sure he has plenty of fluids and if he gets any worse, ring the emergency vet.  Keep us posted and I hope he's okay  :hug:

Offline Rchappers

• Adult Cat
Help please, Hektor is sick
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 02:32:17 AM »
I got home from work at 5.30pm and fed the boys as usual, hektor stopped eating after a few minutes and threw up 10 mins later.  I cleaned the litter tray and there is a very runny poo in there.  5 mins later Hecktor throws up again and there is about a 1 inch long thin worm in his vomit.  He's distraught, and so am I.  With his pale complection his ears and face have gone very pink and his eyes are bloodshot, I think this is just from throwing up though.  Couple of hours later he's stopped vomiting but has blood in his faeces although he's looking and acting more normal since.

I'm so upset. The rescue place said he had been wormed, checked for infection and had all jabs.  Now I don't know what to believe they've done now.  Is this normal for worm infection ?  Going to the vet with him first thing tomorrow but obviously worried to bits about the poor baby.  He's noticibly smaller than his brother.  Perhaps this is why, but I've had them for 3 weeks, does it usually take this long to show up like this ?  Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks, Richard. :'(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 02:50:00 AM by Rchappers »

Link to CatChat