Author Topic: Baytril-updated!!!  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Baytril-updated!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »
Antirobe worked well on my foster, he had had 2 different a/bs for his mouth and none worked (vet thinks he has calicivirus), and I just opened the capsules and sprinkled in his food - he didn't notice. No tummy issues unlike other ab's.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 20:49:19 PM »
Antirobe come in capsules (well here they do!) that you open and sprinkle in food. Tasteless and eaten virtually all the time. Or even dissolve in a little water/tuna juice and syringe in mouth as you are doing at the moment.

Dark Moon

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 23:41:36 PM »
Hi ya!  Just doing what I said I would - i.e. letting you know about the antirobe and Winston.

My vet says no. Says that the liquid has a "VILE" taste and is not prepared to even try it with Winnie. Pills, whole or crushed are out too. Mouth too sore and eating w-a-y too iffy. Sad. I really was hopeful there for a time.

But thanks anyway!

Dark Moon

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2008, 13:19:54 PM »
those might be problems. I see it does come in as liquid and it would have to. He cannot be pilled nor will he eat anything in his food. And that's the other problem. If it upsets his stomach it is out. That was one of the things that happened before. As it is, it is almost impossible to get this cat to eat. Anything that turns him off what little he accepts is just not an option. Will see what the vet says though.

And thanks to both of you for the info.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
The only thing it can do is cause diarrhoea, simon has one dose and his tummy is off  :( it does a marvellous job for his mouth tho, the vet is really pleased with it  ;D

Dark Moon

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I have e-mailed an inquiry to my vet. As it's only 3:30 a.m. here, though, it might be a while before I hear back!  Will let you know what she says.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »
well next time antibiotics are offered suggest to the vet antirobe, this really is the whizz kid antibtiotic esp for mouth (and bone) problems.  It does not have the contraindications of baytril and actually has a double dose rate for more severe of chronic things (such as jaw/bone infections etc)  Never once have i ever known of it to cause problems and i've known it used practically every day i worked.  Also its one of the few drugs where you can safely open the capsule and put the powder in food and it will still work (some drugs are destroyed by stomach acids etc if you do that)  The powder is also fairly tasteless and doesnt have an odour so cats are "normally" ok with that.

Dark Moon

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »
Hi CC.  No, at the moment we are just doing the prednisolone thing. Have spoken of trying other things - both antibiotics and analgesics, but, frankly, are rather afraid to try. Need to get him back to decent shape (and he is now mostly) and then....  He is also pretty much impossible to deal with. Cannot pill him at all. The prednisolone is liquid and even at that our morning dosings require wrapping in a blanket and all. But at least I can manage that. While on the depo, he was ballistic. Now we are down to 1x a day, but with frequent set-backs (one on-going now) that require upping that to 2x a day. But at least he is generally good and has gained weight and all. I DO most heartily empathize with all of you who are dealing with chronically ill babies though. It is so hard to see them struggle so and not have anything much that will cure them and little enough that will help. Still, I am infinitely glad for what we do have and that he is both alive and feeling generally good. For now at least.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:05 AM »
Has the vet every tried antirobe dm ?

Dark Moon

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 16:06:26 PM »
yes, I know the difference. But he has stomatitis and there is more not known about it than known. Steroids are one of the choices but not the best. He was on depo for 5 years. The new vet tried antibiotics as that too has been suggested as a potential help. In my case it wasn't. He is now on prednisolone and holding his own, though it is a day-to-day thing.

The vet didn't make a mistake in my case. As I said - she gave him the correct dosage. But cats, like humans, react differently to drugs. His were known side effects. The drug just hit him very, very  badly. It likely would be fine for other cats. I just can't take the chance with him again.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 15:24:36 PM »
DM that sounds abit  :Crazy:  as depo is a steriod and baytil is an antibiotic  :Crazy:   Unless they decided to treat a secondary infection or infact were then thinking it was sometype of bacteria causing the problem in the first place.

RE baytril, its actually a very very good antibiotic and very worthy of being on vets shelves, however obviously contraindications should be adhered to such as dosage and age of patient  (if i recall it should be given to an animal that hasnt reached its full skeletal growth) 

I do hope fraya lives a long, happy and content life and indeed some sort of compensation can be arranged.

Human error will always happen occasionally though, there was new rulings a few years back on who is allowed to actually dispense the drugs so you could perhaps check who it was ie a receptionist prob wouldnt have noticed but i am sure if it was the vet or vet nurse dispensing they surely would have picked up that it shouldnt have been the 150mg tabs.

Human error robbed myself and my hubby of the last couple of precious days with my archie, my dog who was rapidly dying from a very aggressive intestinal cancer.  He had been at the vet uni but they couldnt really do anything without grave risk of him dying down there from perforated bowl etc so i took my lad home and took time off work, my hubby got compassionate flight home from an oil rig (i was also having a problematic 1st pregnancy)
To give him a few extra days with us and to allow him to eat and stop being so violently sick he was placed on extreme doses of prednisilone (a steroid) he had to have about 16 tablets each morning and i had got more dispensed from my work  which i picked up on my way home with him  from the uni as the vet uni only gave me about 2 days worth.  I finished the vet uni's ones and was pleased they had made a huge difference, he was still dying that was obvious but it was enabling us to have those precious couple of days to come to terms and just spend them lovingly with our lad.  The next day i opened the bottle of preds i got from my work, I hadnt counted them out myself, I'd printed the label from the computer and our long standing (over 20 years) receptionist counted them out into the bottle so i duly gave my archie his 16 tablets and it was a nice day so we were readying to go to the park for a wee bit of fresh air and archie was quite bright, we knew it would be our last time at the park with him, 25 mins after giving the tabs we were putting on jackets, i was looking out archies barbour wax jacket (only the best for our baby) and then noticed him staggering abit, another 5 mins on he was most definately staggering and becoming disoriented and i was at a loss as to why ( i am a vet nurse)
10 mins on he is on the verge of slipping unconscious and i am now on the phone screaming in blind panic to work and it came to light that the receptionist had picked the wrong tub off the shelf

She had infact dispensed me 30 mg phenobarbitone tablets, a drug used for epilepsy and identical to the small white steroid tablets so when they were dispensed into the brown bottle i couldnt never have known. Archie had ingested about 8 times the dose of anti seziure drugs for a healthy albeit epileptic dog of his size.

The only advice that could be offered was to try and tube very strong coffee down his throat as that would act as a stimulant but the vets at my work were all quite reigned to the fact this could quite probably kill him but i could try and wait for hours to see if he would come round but it would still have an effect on his frail state for days...I took the decision there and then this wasnt fair and in the last couple of mins before he was totally unconscious we said our goodbyes and i euthanaised him on the sofa (i had already taken everything home as i knew i was going to pts him at home myself anyway)

i was utterly devastated and anger cannot describe what i felt.  the vets at work went bolistic with the receptionists lack of attention, she herself was distraught and refused to ever touch a drug again for fear she made a mistake, after that no one other than vets or qualified nurses were allowed to dispense. 

I still feel robbed of those lost couple of days, his illness was very sudden anyway and those days were to have been so important not only to him but to us.

I totally understand how you must feel with fraya just try and not let any anger get in the way of enjoying your time with her now. :hug:

Dark Moon

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 13:46:54 PM »
My vet prescribed Baytril for my Winston as a potential substitute for his depo-medrol shots. I almost lost him. It was the correct dosage, but he stopped eating, began vomiting continuously, had seizures, and so on. I ultimately brought him home to die, as the vet said there was no longer any hope. . And he darn-near did die the next day. I had totally discontinued all medications when I brought him home and that's what saved him. It has been a long road back but I, for one, will NEVER allow that drug near any of my cats again.

I am terribly sorry to hear of your experience. At least she is alive. But gosh..........

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 13:05:43 PM »
Hows Fraya doing?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 00:31:30 AM »
You also need to claim for pain and suffering both to Fraya and yourself.

I think you probably need help to draft a claim and to put an amount on it.

This is an ongoing thing and and will last for the rest of Frayas life, say till age 20yrs. All I can say is to over claim rather than under claim .

I would be tempted to Cat proof garden now so Fraya gets used to this while she can still see some. You could approach our member Roz who sells and installs these systems and ask her to give you a quote, which will then form part of your claim

I am so sorry that this has happened and that Fraya lives to a grand old age  :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 23:56:59 PM »
So sorry to hear whats happened to Freya

Maybe you could ask them for a monthly compensation payment, as they have disabled her for the rest of her life

And any vets visits/ bills that arise from the condition they treat for free

A big no for the litter as your supposed to have a tray in the house  :shy:

Good luck.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 23:43:37 PM »
I would also add that whenever you go on holiday, you will need a live-in carer. I know it's hard to put a price on your cat but you may as well push for everything.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 23:11:30 PM »
I think they're all things you should ask for compensation for - but I have no idea how you can put a figure on the "future medical bills" as you said.

Good luck with it all. I hope all your furbabes are doing well. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline huwlj3

• Kitten
Re: Baytril
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 21:41:07 PM »
An update for you all.

Met with one of the partners at the vets tonight. We had an apology finally! The partner said that the vet had clicked the wrong button on the computer for the medication and that's how the error occured.

He said that we should claim compenstion as either their insurance or the medical company (Bayer) would pay the compensation. I haven't got a clue what to ask for? The things I'd thought of so far were:

1. Loss of earnings for two days - visits to optometrist.
2. Travelling expenses - as above.
3. Reimbursement of money paid for original consultation and medication!
4. Damage to carpet done by Fraya (cat) over the last two months of being indoors.
5. All future medical bills which are a direct result of her blindness - how can I put a figure on this???
6. The cost of cat-proofing the garden for when she's completely blind.
7. Litter? We never had a litter tray in the house before but will have to now and for the duration of Fraya's life. Is this worth a claim?

I'd really appreciate your comments/views on the matter, especially on a figure to claim on the compensation.

Thanks,

Huw

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 23:39:33 PM »
It's heartbreaking that your poor cat will lose her sight because a vet didn't check the dosage. This is the second time in a month I have heard of vets prescribing to high a dosage of Baytril.

I would sue them for their last penny - it won't help poor Fraya but might teach them a lesson.  :hug:

Im so so sorry to hear this and totally agree with Mark, the financial side wont help your poor little darling with Freya sight but iw will hopefully make the vet check and check and check again the correct dose. Ct proofing your garden is a great idea and I too would make the vet pay for that as well

good luck and kisses to Fraya and to you too

xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 22:22:52 PM »
It's heartbreaking that your poor cat will lose her sight because a vet didn't check the dosage. This is the second time in a month I have heard of vets prescribing to high a dosage of Baytril.

I would sue them for their last penny - it won't help poor Fraya but might teach them a lesson.  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 22:13:35 PM »
How horrible for you & poor puddy. I can't believe the incompetance of some people :stupid: it is shocking. It would break my heart if that happend to Leo. Its very scary really.. we have to trust these people wit the lives of our pets. I could not let this lie if it were me either

Hope the meeting goes well, Good luck honey
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 22:14:46 PM by lisa77 »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 21:53:10 PM »
How did you get on?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »
So sorry to hear about this.  I'm sure your little furbabe will adapt to living without sight but you must also be very upset, angry and whole host of other emotions.

Baytril is a dangerous drug to be issued if not done so correctly.  Slightly too high doses can lead to several problems (as you have now witnessed) in both adults and kittens.  OUr own vets use Baytril only as a last resort if really required.

I hope that you manage to get some compensation or acknowledgement for what has happened.  As well as legal, RCVS I would also be penning a very strong letter to the senior partners at the veterinary practice.

Good luck and keep us posted on your wee furbabe's progress.  My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. xx
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »
Sadly, that's not unprofessional - it's entirely incompetent. Which is surely worse. Hope your furbabes are well.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 07:13:13 AM »
What a cheek!  So if your vet had killed your cat he wouldnt have acted unprofessionally but if he was rude or aggressive to you he would>  Makes great sense that.  I dont blame you for seeking legal advice and I certainly wouldn't attend any meeting until I was genned up.  Good luck

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 21:26:55 PM »
Oh I do agree Desley, I wonder about them too as would someone else hear I know  :censored: :censored:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 20:21:29 PM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 20:17:51 PM »
So teh fact they could have killed your cat by prescribing the wrong dosage isn't acting unprofessionally?? I do wonder about the RCVS!!
Please spay your cat

Offline huwlj3

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 20:16:10 PM »
I contacted the RCVS when it first occured but they said that they could only intervene if the vet had acted unprofessionally i.e. been rude, aggressive etc. I am going to cancel the meeting and seek professional advice.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 20:15:13 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear this, and would certainly put a complaint in writing - even though they paid for everything, it doens't change the damage that has been done, and if you leave it, it oculd be worse next time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 20:11:35 PM »
How terrible   :(

Have you contacted the RCVS?

I agree with catproofing your garden, that why she can still get out to safely sunbathe  ;D theres a kit forsale in the auction.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 18:25:30 PM »
can I suggest you contact citizens advice before you go to the meeting so you know what your rights are and what is a reasonable expectation of an outcome - they can be very helpful at times.

Offline huwlj3

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 18:11:30 PM »
Made an appointment to speak to one of the partners at the vets on Monday evening about the whole thing. I will see what they propose.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 23:18:22 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Poor Fraya! Cats are pretty good at adapting, but I'd definately be looking into the legal ramifications regarding the incorrect dosage prescribed. If people don't do anything, vets might get dismissive about making such monumental errors when consulting.

I'm using baytril for my leopard geckos at the moment (eye infection) and the vet gave me the medication without seeing the lizards (which I was actually OK about as I'd discussed th best treatment with a seasoned reptile keeper) but advised me to put it directly into their eyes!

Sending fuss to Fraya and Jacko. :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 22:00:54 PM »
If you can make your garden safe so that Fraya cant get out at all, she will learn how to get around it by trial and error.

It will need you helping piece by piece but my vet in London had a cat who was blind and he said that she never even fell in the fish pond.

How is Fraya coping round the house, cos this will be the first stage.

Cats are very good at mapping in their brains, which is how some manage to travel miles back to their old homes after their owners move.

What I dont know is how much the eyes are involved in this process.

My old cat Kocka travelled from London to Devon on holiday and then after two weeks we came back, on the way back we stopped at a MOTO and Kocka would go out on a lead. She waklked me a long way and it was only after a while I realized what she was doing cos she had found the road that we came in to the MOTO on and she was trying to walk back to Devon!

If she is managing well getting around the house maybe getting her a good harness and a lead would be a first step if your garden is or can be made safe. You would need to get her used to this in the house first and then start with small amounts of garden, let her lead the way always until you want her to come back in.

To be honest as the vet has acknowledged the mistake and paid for the opthalmic visits , I dont think you will get very far on compensation, if you are trying to get him struck off then its best to write to the Vets governing body but ssuspect at the worst he would get  warning.

I think your best step forward is to concentrate on Fraya and get here as well adjusted to her new circumstances as possible.

Offline huwlj3

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 21:44:48 PM »
Yes the vets are aware of their mistake. We have the receipt to prove which medication was prescribed. The vets paid for both visits to see the optometrist at the Pearl Vet Clinic in Shrewsbury.

Fraya is such an independent cat who loves being outside, the last three weeks indoors have been driving her crazy! Our other cat Jacko (ginger Tom), on the otherhand, loves being indoors and is a real softy!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 21:47:13 PM by huwlj3 »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 21:40:24 PM »
I am very sorry to hear about this and that Fraya has suffered so badly  :hug:

This is a matter for the association that vets belong too, I know that others know their name but that is only in regard of the vets incorrect action. I suspect you would have to make out a legal case for this but I would also look at the terms of your insurance to see if there is anything in there that may help.

Its strange that this medicine has come up on here only very recently, a couple of weeks ago and again wrong dosage was advised I beieve.

We have someone else on here who has been given the wrong medication for their cat, who is still very very sick.

Do your vets know about this and have you seen any other vet? Do you stillhave the evidence of the medicine and the doseage?

Just out of curiosity , what part of the country to you live in?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 21:25:09 PM »
Hello Huw, not sure what to advise. You may be well advised to seek legal counsel about the process. I think that you would need to still have the original meds and instructions to be able to establish that you had a case. In the mean time, your cat will adjust to the loss of sight, but will not be able to be an outdoor cat. Many blind cats live long, healthy and happy lives as long as their owners are able to keep them indoors.

Offline huwlj3

• Kitten
Baytril-updated!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 21:22:36 PM »
Hi. Our four year old healthy cat, Fraya, was recently prescribed Baytril by the local vet for a minor skin infection. The dosage given was incorrect - 150mg tablets for a cat that weighs 4kg, the correct dosage should have been no more than 20kg! Fraya suffered a seizure and damage to her retinas. Following two visits to a cat optometrist we have been told that Fraya will go blind within 12 months. My wife and I are very upset and obviously angry and disappointed with the vet. What should we do? Are we right in demanding some form of compensation? If so, what?

Your views /advice would be very much appreciated. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Huw
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 21:42:42 PM by huwlj3 »

Link to CatChat