Author Topic: indoor/outdoor cat debate  (Read 10574 times)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Re: indoor/outdoor cat debate
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2007, 17:10:43 PM »
That pen is amazing! I would love to have something like that for my two.....I'm with you, Lisa - can't wait to move to a house so I can build one (would be too tricky to attach it to a 2nd story flat  :rofl: )

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2007, 16:18:06 PM »
I cant wait untill I move to a house & can build one of those enclosed pens..

sooooooooooo cant wait  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 18:08:13 PM »
Thats awesome! Can I move in?

LOL!   ;D - sadly no - I don't live there anymore - packed up the cat run and moved lock, stock and barrel, reassembled the cat run (in slightly different configuration!) at the next house, then did the same again when I moved here, except it was only up in a very paired down version here to start with and now they go out in the garden anyway - still got lots of the panels though, should have offered them in the auction (mind you, it would have had to be 'buyer collects'!

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 16:37:25 PM »
Heres some pics of the run I had for my cats where I used to live. I had it built by Linde Lu, to my own spec, so that it was attached to the house (back door where the cat flap was) and conservatory, and so's I could have all the doors and windows open in the summer, without worry of them going out of the garden. I tried to make it look as nice as poss, with lots of plants and a water feature etc. It was enough for most of my cats, but not Harry! The 1st pic led from the back door, incoporated the large shed, then the next pic showed the other part it was linked to down the garden across the front of the conservatory.

Thats awesome! Can I move in?
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2007, 16:32:44 PM »
Heres some pics of the run I had for my cats where I used to live. I had it built by Linde Lu, to my own spec, so that it was attached to the house (back door where the cat flap was) and conservatory, and so's I could have all the doors and windows open in the summer, without worry of them going out of the garden. I tried to make it look as nice as poss, with lots of plants and a water feature etc. It was enough for most of my cats, but not Harry! The 1st pic led from the back door, incoporated the large shed, then the next pic showed the other part it was linked to down the garden across the front of the conservatory.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »
Caroline's run is fab!

Mine is much more simple, made of wood and mesh. Mel if you're anywhere near the North East and want the number of the guy who did it, send me a PM

x

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »
I would love my babes to get outside, but I live in a 3rd floor flat with no garden, in the city centre, so it just isn't safe. We are planning on selling up and moving out of town to someplace bigger, with a garden, so they can get outside. 8) Riley came to us from a rescue, and we got him partly because we fell in love with him, but also because it stated on his care plan / adoption contract that he is to be an indoor cat. THis was due to a behavioural assessment and ongoing observation by his foster mum - he is a nervous, timid cat inclined to panic when outside, and rush blindly into traffic (he did this several times before he was caught, and was lucky not to be killed :shocked:).
However, we took him on holiday to S.Uist last summer, and the cottage we stayed in had a cat-proof garden, which we allowed him to have supervised access to, and he did seem to enjoy it, tho he was very cautious and unsure. He did still show a tendancy towards fearfulness, nerves and panicky behaviour, but the smaller, partially enclosed space seemed to reassure him and he gradually became a little more confident :shy:
Based on this we have decided to try to get a place with a garden so that he can have safe outoor access (either in a run, or a cat-proofed garden). My first cat was an outdoor cat, but I lived in the country then, 10 miles from any major road, surrounded by woodland and fields. Back then, it seemed unthinkable to have an indoor cat, but I would not alllow a cat unrestricted outdoor access unless I was in a similar living situation again (which I intend to be, one day! ;)), as it just isn't safe. A friend of mine had 3 cats, all outdoor kitties, who lived in the countryside for about 5 years. She then moved into a quiet residential area on the edge of a small town. Within a year all three cats had died - two were killed in the road, and one was shot with a pellet gun. :'(  >:(
I think that you have to decide based on your personal situation, where you live, and the personality of the cat. They are, after all, as varied and individual as we are. Riley, for some reason, is not very suited to being an outdoor cat - yet he is a fit, active, happy boy as an indoor cat. My first boy would never have coped as an indoor cat - he LOVED the outside, so it would have been cruel to deprive him, especialy as there was no particular reason to - he was (relatively) safe to wander as far as he liked.
I would love to build my guys a run, and hope to do so when we move - I think sunshine and fresh air works wonders for anyone - cat and human alike! However, I do take the time and effort to have shelves, hidey-holes, toys, puzzles, games, cat trees, etc for both my babes so that they have as stimulating a life indoors as possible. We even move the furniture around each week, so that the layout is always changing, and the hidey-holes, launchpads, lookouts etc are varied. This seems to stimulate a lot of activity - playing and investigating etc. We also get interesting smells - catnip, pinecones, catgrass, hamster bedding (from a friend) that we hide around the place for them to investigate. It's more work having an indoor cat, in terms of keeping them stimulated, but it's possible, and they needn't necessarily be deprived or unhappy.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2007, 22:16:57 PM »
IF I had a garden, an enclosure would be fab - I have a foster who is here for at least anohter month, and he is going a bit stir crazy (Ex stray), so let him have some time otu today (he has been here 6 weeks already), and he disappeared in the rain for ages, I was concerned, so an enclosure would be fab, and I have seen some good conservatories with trees and shelves on for cats to enjoy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2007, 21:19:15 PM »
Here's some more pics of Felix's run  :wow:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=5240.25

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2007, 21:15:33 PM »
If I had a choice I'd want Lexy out with an enclosure.  Whilst in this house I won't do it but hopefully, fingers crossed, if I can get the house sold next year, then hopefully the new place I can cat proof the garden. I would love for her to feel safe and be out, but right now she's happy inside.

She growls at the back door so what I can do!  Wouldn't let her out in my neighbourhood though. Nasty neighbours may hurt her.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2007, 21:12:10 PM »
I think outdoor enclosures and catproofing are great compromises.  Unfortunately I don't have a garden I would definitley go for that option if I did.  And there's a fab cat proofiing kit in the auction if anyone fancies going down the catproofing route!  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2007, 21:10:04 PM »
Has anyone built/brought a cat enclosure for outside? That would be ideal for a cat like Toby. Give me the excitement of being outside but without any risk.

You should see the enclosure Caroline (Felix) on here has built - it's amazing  :wow:  Here's the thread with all the pics on....

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=7354.50

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2007, 21:05:59 PM »
:welcome: Melysion  :)

I have 8 puds and they are all indoor but have access to a cat proofed garden....I think a lot of it depends on environment  ;)

Yeah, I agree. I like the thought of Toby being an outdoor cat but even without the FIV I'm not sure I would risk it because we live so near a really busy road.

Has anyone built/brought a cat enclosure for outside? That would be ideal for a cat like Toby. Give me the excitement of being outside but without any risk.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2007, 20:55:08 PM »
 :welcome: Melysion  :)

I have 8 puds and they are all indoor but have access to a cat proofed garden....I think a lot of it depends on environment  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2007, 20:11:54 PM »
I would like to add that in regards to knowing what is best for your cat, this is very personal - Ginger had to be kept in for 10 days after an op, and pined and got depressed, he didn't tolerate being kept in, and Tiger was the kidn of cat who would dash out the door as soon as you opened it, she also pined when she had to be kept in after tests. Molly however, doesn't care, in fact, I dont think I have seen her go downstairs once this week, never mind near the door!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:34:34 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2007, 20:09:03 PM »
This is from London: our cat Blip would never adapt to an exclusively indoor life and luckily we live in an environment where she does not have to.  If we moved to a different place, I would so arrange it that she had safe access to the outdoors.

For any new members who feel unwelcome, please do not!  I would say that it depends who you encounter first time out  :hug:  I had a pretty nasty experience early on, but I ignored it (and the person concerned ever since, really) so  :welcome: and keep on posting.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2007, 18:28:00 PM »
Back to the thread  topic :Luv:

I used to have outdoor cats as i do love them to have their freedom but after loosing my adored lads to the road, i can no longer give my lads their freedom in this area. so my lads now are indoor with a secure garden 24 hrs access.  They love the garden and it is a compremise but they do still get bored at times even though i play with them alot.  Esp in the winter where, we can't have our chase and hide and seek games in the garden.  :evillaugh: They are fun.  ;D Roll on summer Hey!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2007, 18:22:54 PM »
Hi Mel  I am sorry you have been upset by this and you are very welcome to post about any subject you would like whether it's been covered before or not.  It's good to have new members that may have different views on any subject. I am determinded to keep this site friendly and welcoming and i am sorry you have not experience that in your thread.

It is one of those high emotional subjects that leads to debates but an important one to to discuss.   

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2007, 17:51:20 PM »
 So many subjects are covered time and time again and sometimes that is not actually a bad thing, because we don't  always take on board what we read the first, second or even 3rd time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:33:30 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2007, 17:46:50 PM »
I'm on a House MD forum too (American) and their vicious on there :rofl:

Tell me are you american based?

No, i'm from England.  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2007, 17:41:32 PM »
Horses for courses. I lived in a 2nd story flat for 13 years with 2 girl cats. We all went outside at the back together for 1/2 hour or so each evening.

When we moved into house on quiet road set back from road with catflap 18 years ago, "our" boy cats allowed access 24/7 without any restrictions. I lost 1 boy to an RTA last year and did a lot of soul searching. I try and ensure the boys don't go around the front and seems to work most times altho not always. I have an open mind on this subject but they are all used to outdoor access and that's the way it will stay for time being. No need for anyone to get wound up, we all love our puddies and try to do what's right for them.

BTW  :welcome: Mel

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2007, 17:41:18 PM »
I really can't see why this is such an emotive topic...I cat-proofed my garden and fitted a cat flap so mine can come and go as they please. other people prefer to let their pusscats roam and some people prefer to keep em tucked up indoors. We all base our choices on what's best for our respective feline masters given our individual circumstances etc.

So what is there to get ratty about  :-:?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:32:52 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2007, 17:34:34 PM »
I'm on a House MD forum too (American) and their vicious on there :rofl:

Tell me are you american based?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2007, 17:31:15 PM »
 I was interested in UK verses US views - nothing more  :P
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:32:33 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2007, 17:04:00 PM »
You are welcome :) and you can post what you like :) its just this subject really gets some peoples blood up lol
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 17:04:29 PM by hOrZa »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 16:34:59 PM »
 Newbies can add their views, older members can too. Nothing wrong with that. Happens with many health and behaviour threads as well, this is just a different topic. Speaking of which, how about we get back to the actual debate itself?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 07:40:32 AM »
Also, I personally dont feel that an FIV positive cat needs to be kept in either AND AGAIN just MY opinion

As Desley says FIV cats immune system is already compromised, so if you let one out you are not giving it the best chance of a full life.

This debate has been had on here many times and we are just all repeating what we have said before.

Many, many topics regularly repeat  themselves , I personallally don't think that is a bad thing. Newbies don't always look back at old posts & Topics. I know I didn't when I first joined  CC. Also as Tiggy's Mum - Helen says not all Purrs members goes on to CC.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 20:21:37 PM »
I know my cats would rather go out but I'd rather them stay in, I suppose being allowed into the garden is better that being kept in the house totally.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 20:03:46 PM »
How can you tell if its in the cats best interest to let them go out?

By how they behave when they're kept in!!

Mine, especially Sabby and Meesh, become less 'perky', less responsive, and generally out of sorts if I have to keep them in for any reason.  For me, my primary consideration is that they are happy ... and I'd go so far to say I'd rather they were happy than 100% safe.  We compromise - they stay in at night, but they all queue at the back door after their breakfast, waiting for me to unlock the catflap!  By the time I get home from work they're gathering either indoors or just outside the back door, ready for their tea and bedtime!  :Luv:

ccmacey

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 18:17:27 PM »
How can you tell if its in the cats best interest to let them go out? Since moving here over a year ago all of my cats went outdoors and I only recently cat proofed my garden in the summer, I personally dont see whats out there for them other than danger and I would never feel sorry for them because they want to go out of the garden, I feel by keeping them in the garden we are both making a compromise, I9 am willing to let them out but only if they stay in the garden.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 17:54:31 PM »
My cats are happy and not big fatty clingy rampaging loons. ( Well 80% of the time ! ;) ).

He isn't fat or clingy, but Mosi is definitely a rampaging loon  :rofl:

I'm the same as J - before I had Jaffa I would have considered keeping a cat indoors at best as odd and at worst as cruel.  But now that I have experience of keeping cats indoors I've changed my mind and am satisfied they can have a good quality of life.  But I would never criticise anyone for letting a cat go outdoors if they felt it was in the cat's best interests (even if I would do otherwise in their shoes).

ccmacey

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 17:38:40 PM »
My cats are outdoor but they can only go out into the garden  :sneaky: Except for HARRY of course, Gillian I think its something to do with the name lol.

Clare I am renting and I have cat proofed my garden, I have had to put up my own fence though so really its only on my property anyway. If the landlord has a problem I would say to him so you would let your kids out when they have had threats against their lives? This is the reason I cat proofed my garden.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 16:57:23 PM »
My boy Max is FIV and indoors as well.

I have to say though, that even if he wasn't, I would still be inclined to keep him in.  There's so many dangers outside now.

the best compromise for me, if I had a big enough garden and wasn't renting, would be to cat-proof the garden, then he would have the best of both worlds, but as far as I can tell he's a very happy boy, and if he's happy, then I'm happy  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 16:52:41 PM »
 :evillaugh: You are certifiable..admittedly.  :naughty:

Lexy is indoor. Couldn't force her out the back door even if she wanted to, she likes her creature comforts.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 16:51:28 PM »
Bilbo and Baggins debate whether they're going to let me out in the morning. Unfortunately they always do  :shy:
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 16:31:31 PM »
I lost several cats to RTAs where I used to live, so had a large (half a very large garden) cat run built for my remaining cats. Most adapted to these restrictions, but Harry never did and so he still comes and goes as he pleases (he's 11 now) I've never felt completely comfortable with restricting cats, its just not in their nature, but it has been an compromise. When I moved her 6 yrs or so ago I didnt want to restrict them as much, I have a 100ft long garden which I planted withshrubs and trees - lots of interesting areas for them, and the cats all have access to this garden during the day and evening (longer in summer). In general the Persians don't roam out of the garden (with Jasper the exception!) but Harry still does his own thing - night and day.

I have an area of the garden, close to the house, which is fenced so that they can't access the rest of the garden, it has a gate that I can just close off at night, so they can come and go via the catflap, still have access to outdoors, but be safe at nightime, so thats there only restriction now. I wouldnt personally keep a cat completely indoors.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 16:30:17 PM »
J(Indoorcatsuk), may I suggest considering adding a  hyphen or some sort of punctuation in your handle?  I had mistaken your view of this discussion before reading your post, I read your handle as "Indoorcat-suk" instead of "Indoorcats-uk"... sorry, but that was what happened honestly!!  :shy:

LMAO

Unless someone is out to deliberately troll about the indoor outdoor topic, then I don't see a problem, even if it is emotive, I don't want to belong to a forum that is scared to discuss the odd cat issue that might get peoples heckles up ( and ears down ).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 21:25:52 PM by J (Indoorcatsuk) »
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 15:03:28 PM »
For most subjects it wouldn't matter, but this one has proved so emotive in the past that another thread is another chance for discord. I don't think anyone here is out to cause trouble.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 14:03:02 PM »
Mine are all indoor/outdoor, but are kept in at night.  They'd get really depressed if they couldn't go out - they spend probably 90% of their time outside during the day, even in bad weather! (there's plenty of sheltered places nearby).  But they come in quite happily before dark - usually by themselves!

TBH, I am becoming of the opinion that it is more dangerous the 'safer' it seems .... quiet roads produce 'unexpected' traffic, whilst busy roads do not, and cats simply avoid them. My house fronts a very busy road, but as far as I know, my cats have never gone on it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:27:26 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 13:16:41 PM »
well, it does tend to cause a bit of a stir, but I agree Melysion, you are as entitled as any of us to start a thread and are welcome to do so. Just don't start one about the animated cat waking its owner up  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: now that one we have definitely seen before  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OMG I almost weed in my trousers  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

J(Indoorcatsuk), may I suggest considering adding a  hyphen or some sort of punctuation in your handle?  I had mistaken your view of this discussion before reading your post, I read your handle as "Indoorcat-suk" instead of "Indoorcats-uk"... sorry, but that was what happened honestly!!  :shy:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 21:20:57 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat