Author Topic: This is getting rediculous!!! More Missing Cats in Fife  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: This is getting rediculous!!! More Missing Cats in Fife
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 23:51:03 PM »
Oh yes indeed and know that scottish law is different to english.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 23:50:33 PM »
I think if there are quite a few going missing, the police have to take it seriously.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 23:48:49 PM »
i still think this is a matter for the police and its them who shpould start investigation.....this is possible theft. theft of property is police.

i would advise every single person to report their missing cat to the police and get a report number, if there are hundreds of them they will have to do something, even if its liaise with sspca.

I agree totally Gill... sadly tho... anyone who reports a lost or stolen cat to the police are directed straight to us.  The police do not take note of these matters up here.  The line they give to the public is that Cats are animals that can roam free... how can they prove they were stolen and not just wandered off!

Frustrating I know.  Police won't do anything on animal welfare grounds round here unless they are instructed to attend by the SSPCA... see the vicious circle forming??

This is awful and extremely worrying.  I would put flyers out and also posters in shop windows etc advising everyone to keep their cats indoors whether it be day or night.  We had a spate not too far from us of cats getting shot and poisoned and it was surprising how many still let their cats out  >:(  Poor babes, I hope if the worst has happened, they didn't suffer  :'(

Today I have made up posters and put them up in local vets.  They will be getting sent out to all our contacts, vets, public noticeboards, etc to notify the public.  I'm also in touch with all local and regional / national TV, radio, newspapers, etc   .... whether or not they run it is another matter entirely but trust me when I say we are pulling out every stop we can to do as much as possible.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 23:54:37 PM by madkittyrescue »
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 23:23:03 PM »
This is awful and extremely worrying.  I would put flyers out and also posters in shop windows etc advising everyone to keep their cats indoors whether it be day or night.  We had a spate not too far from us of cats getting shot and poisoned and it was surprising how many still let their cats out  >:(  Poor babes, I hope if the worst has happened, they didn't suffer  :'(

Offline claire30

• Adult Cat
  • sweetness itself... sally!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 23:17:57 PM »
Sarah, i dont think you went on at all, your obviously very commited to what you do and thats not to be sorry for, just wish there was something a mere little me could do....
Sally had a beautifull coat so believe me when i say, all sorts has gone through my head, i just hope if its the case she hasnt suffered, people are so bloomin( for lack of a stronger word) EVIL.
there has to be something,

• Purrrrrfect Cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 23:10:55 PM »
i still think this is a matter for the police and its them who shpould start investigation.....this is possible theft. theft of property is police.

i would advise every single person to report their missing cat to the police and get a report number, if there are hundreds of them they will have to do something, even if its liaise with sspca.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 23:05:44 PM »
if there is a fur trade, it needs someone to act as a buyer to get the needed evidence for the police, could be dangerous tho, theres got to be some agency or something that does this.... they investigate dodgy plumbers and avoiding tax payers so why not this.....?

This is supposed to be the job of the SSPCA but it would appear they want someone else to do the investigative work!!  Trading standards deal with your dodgy plumbers, etc... but they don't have any legislation regarding the fur trade.  In fact they don't know anything about it or the various ban(s) in or coming into place.  (been on the phone to them too this week! ;)  )

Clare - there is every chance your wee furbabe has gone missing for none of these sinister reasons... and I know I went on a bit (oK maybe a big bit) of a rant but I can honestly say I was fuming when I came off the phone from this so called leading welfare organisation

The problem in Fife has been bad for years but it is taking an even worse turn over recent weeks!  It is just SO frustrating when your hands are SO tied in what y ou can and can't do.

At the moment I am urging anyone in our area with a lost cat to report it to us so that we can see the true extent of the problem and take THIS to the people supposed to be doing the investigation!!

Offline claire30

• Adult Cat
  • sweetness itself... sally!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 21:22:48 PM »
Hi

if there is a fur trade, it needs someone to act as a buyer to get the needed evidence for the police, could be dangerous tho, theres got to be some agency or something that does this.... they investigate dodgy plumbers and avoiding tax payers so why not this.....?

I'm amazed at the amount of cats gone missing down here since Ive lost Sally,Ive really noticed a big amount and where i used to drive around and see loads of cats, there no longer seem to be cats around the streets, ill prob get in to trouble for saying this but it had me thinking, maybe its some sort of clear up operation by the council or something, of strays etc, and if the cats that are cleaned up are chipped, they get returned... if not....
my dad says its happened with pigeons down this way b 4.

there was an article in the local paper once about a Chinese food place being closed down, years ago in Sheff, the meat wasn't beef! sick ****.

this is where your mind goes when you have a missing fur babe

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 13:25:59 PM »
Sadly the introduction of the ban will work some way towards helping but it doesn't into force until 2008.

Likewise tho... drugs are banned... but it is still million if not billions pounds business.  The exact same applies to the fur trade.  They will just operate underground as the drug world does.  It is never going to outlaw it completely.

Why there is this massive increase in the lead up to Xmas we really don't know but are banging our heads against a brick walll with the SSPCA so have started sending out Public Warnings this morning and keeping our ears to the ground.  Perhaps its a demonstration in realtion to the Ban to say... look we'll still do it and get away with it cos the public don't realise what's happening under their noses!

There are numerous reasons why cats go missing and we're not saying that all of the cats going missing are being used for their fur, selling or dog baiting but with the numbers going missing at the moment we estimate that potentially we could be looking at nearly 100 cats a month possibly more going missing from the Fife area.

The police (as far as we know) are well aware of this and what is going on but they do not have any direct powers for animal welfare and can only step in if the SSPCA request their input.   As we learnt from this morning they (SSPCA) are unwilling to step in and investigate the numbers of cats going missing as there is no hard evidence as to what is happening to them.  So basically nobody's flamin looking until we find a collection of skinned cats or remains!!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 13:01:07 PM »
Surely the police should be informed if the problem is that large and me I am suspicious about the colours being taken, gingers coats are not as matchable as black  and black and whites.

Maybe I am just being suspicious but this sounds horrible like the fur trade and as you may know from another thread export of animals for fur has recently been banned.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 12:53:43 PM »
I recently saw an article somewhere about a street (not sure where) that had had a spate of cats go missing and notes had been sent out saying a disgruntled gardener had removed them and taken them 25 miles away and left them unharmed - I know its not likely but could a similar thing be happening?

I'd love to think so but don't think so Dawn.  The numbers going missing are in differing streets and towns in various concentrations.

Kirkcaldy has been hit extremely hard for Tabby & Whites.  Glenrothes and around Cupar it seems to be more blacks and black and whites.  Once household with 3 cats has had the black, black and white stolen and the ginger left!!!  the Ginger had turned into a nervous wreck since!

When we first launched a campaign for awareness in Fife in August we saw a complete drop in the numbers missing for approx 4-5 weeks.  Only a few were being reported which were your typical losts many of which returned.

Following that 4-5 weeks lull  numbers going missing have gone through the flamin roof!!!  not to mention instances where not 1 but 2 or 3 cats are going missng from a single house!!

We've been dicussing things with other rescue in the area and it seems that everyone had concerns about homing cats out into the area with things as they are and the lack of action from the SSPCA

(we were on the phone to them for ages yesterday adn today....  >:(    >:(    >:(    )  Seems they know absolutely NOTHING about what is going on and won't do anything unless they have photographic evidence from the public!!!!!  now what the hell are THEY paid for!!!! 

oh gawd... sorry folks... but we are all raging about the lack of concern or in fact knowledge here from the so called leaders in animal welfare for Scotland!!!   >:(

Basically if you live in the area please please please keep your cats in.       Our homing is now officially CLOSED until the end of January.  Just hope to gawd things improve for cats round here quickly!!!!!!

We're doing all we can...  :scared:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
I recently saw an article somewhere about a street (not sure where) that had had a spate of cats go missing and notes had been sent out saying a disgruntled gardener had removed them and taken them 25 miles away and left them unharmed - I know its not likely but could a similar thing be happening?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:51:27 AM »
This sounds very serious and worrying.

Have the police been informed and is there any pattern like the colour of the cats?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
This is getting rediculous!!! More Missing Cats in Fife
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »
We are banging our heads on a brick wall here this morning... and our hearts are in our mouths!!!   :'(

In the last 4 days I have taken 3 phone calls from people who have had not 1, but 2 or more of their cats go missing within a couple of days.  >:( AND having spoken to these people and local vets we've heard of even more so am now telling everyone.  If you live in the Kingdom of Fife and your cat is missing call me ASAP. :scared:  We know the problem is big but the more we can learn the more we know just HOW big the problems getting AGAIN!!!

All those missing are in concentrated areas.  For now Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes and heading towards Cupar are big target areas. :scared:

If you live in these areas please keep your cat in especially if you are going out and at night.  :-:

Link to CatChat