Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1408 times)

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
Re: Introductions
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 18:56:04 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

Smirnoff has seen him! I brought him down and she came over and had a look then started hitting me with her paw to scratch her head! She then lay down for tummy rubs with him right there next to me, got up and looked then wandered off  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:08:38 AM »
I agree that it depends on the individuals, but in my experience most (but not all!) adult cats find kittens non threatening.  There will be some hissing to begin with but usually it works itself out pretty quickly.  The problem with kittens is that they grow up though!  I  introduced a kitten to my adult cat 18 months ago and things were great for the first few weeks/months, until Mosi grew up!  Then he started challenging Jaffa to be the most dominant cat and although they get on fine most of the time, their relationship is still evolving and things are far from peaceful.

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 23:08:38 PM »
Aww thanks  :) Smirnoff is very confident and outgoing, she is always there meowing for tummy rubs and loves having a fuss made of her  :) She never actually stops meowing  :rofl:

We did have a cat next door though and Smirnoff would fight with her, but that cat was very aggressive and used to attack me when I was trying to feed the rabbits! So it may have been the other cats personality x

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 23:04:30 PM »
Hiya hun

It depends on the cat.  :) I have had a bad experience introducing a 7 week old to a 1 1/2 old where it took 5 weeks to start all over again with introductions and keep them separate till my older lad was happy with smells 1st and then gradual sight introductions. After that time they both got on very well, but it had to be done slowly as my older lad was scared of Littleun.   

The last two intro's i we have done have gone so well and adult got on with youngling after 2 days of little one in his own room.

With the sucessfull intro's i found both cats to have an outgoing personality. so it really depends on that and if they feel secure and not threatened. 

Love to hear how they get on  ;D

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 22:58:33 PM »
Thanks for that  :) I have no idea how Smirnoff is going to react! x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 22:54:30 PM »
Certainly not something that happens with every cat - mine are oldies, and they haven't tolerated a single cat under the age of 2!! And I had a mum cat here, who's babies had been rehomed, I let her meet a CH kitty i was looking after for a couple of days, and the first thing she did was batted him, and we knew she had been a mum!!
Please spay your cat

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
Introductions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 22:51:13 PM »
Just one question  :)

Our little kitten came home today, he is staying in my mums room while he gets settled and Smirnoff knows he is here because she is shut out of my mums room and sleeping in the same blanket little Hunter was cuddled up in before  :) She seems fine at the moment!

I have read the introduction thing on here and dont really have any questions on that, just wanted to ask if its generally easier to introduce a kitten to an adult? Spoke to someone earlier who told me when they took their kitten home and introduced him to their older cat she took to him instantly and mothers him! So really just want to know how common this is  :) x

Link to CatChat