Author Topic: Tail Flicking  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Tail Flicking
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 21:30:53 PM »
It very much depends on the rate and type of "flicking". Slow, leisurely "swishing" is often a sign of contentment, while faster, more agitated flicking is excitement. Whether the excitement is anger or pent-up energy is largely dependent on context and other body language - eg. a playing cat will flick its tail, but its ears are up and forward, and it's fur is flat, so it's excited and enjoying itself. An angry cat also flicks its tail, but it's ears are usually back or flat against the head, and it's likely to growl and arch the back with fur standing on end. No one aspect of body language tells the whole story - you need to look at the whole body posture, behaviour, context, vocalisation, personality of the cat, other animals in the environment, etc.
Based on your description, it sound like she is fairly happy, going by otherwise relaxed body posture and purring, so she is either doing a content tail swish, or if its more flicking, she is just excited or has some pent up energy  :)
Any pics of this lovely lady? ;D

The ears aren't back. She is purring and rubbing up against me (or anything else!  :evillaugh: )

There are some pics are on the rehoming thread. I took some more but they aren't very good -  I will take some new ones tomorrow
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 19:23:53 PM »
Minnie and Bella both flick their tails when they're being stroked and enjoying themselves - I found it a bit confusing at first, as Bertie only ever flicks his tail when angry or play fighting.  I guess they're all different!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 19:19:46 PM »
It very much depends on the rate and type of "flicking". Slow, leisurely "swishing" is often a sign of contentment, while faster, more agitated flicking is excitement. Whether the excitement is anger or pent-up energy is largely dependent on context and other body language - eg. a playing cat will flick its tail, but its ears are up and forward, and it's fur is flat, so it's excited and enjoying itself. An angry cat also flicks its tail, but it's ears are usually back or flat against the head, and it's likely to growl and arch the back with fur standing on end. No one aspect of body language tells the whole story - you need to look at the whole body posture, behaviour, context, vocalisation, personality of the cat, other animals in the environment, etc.
Based on your description, it sound like she is fairly happy, going by otherwise relaxed body posture and purring, so she is either doing a content tail swish, or if its more flicking, she is just excited or has some pent up energy  :)
Any pics of this lovely lady? ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 19:06:52 PM »
She doesn't seem to be in pain. She is booked in for a checkup Monday morning so I will mention it, along with the small lump on her head that I'm hoping is old scar tissue and the fact she is dribbling a lot (may need a dental?)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 13:23:42 PM »
Flicking of the tail can also be a sign of pain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 00:51:15 AM »
I'm so curious about behaviour. It never occurred to me before about why she likes being under the bed until Caroline said that after living under a car for so long, she probably feels safer. She isn't hiding as she is quite happy for me to join her there  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 00:14:32 AM »
not so much annoyed as excited.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Tail Flicking
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 00:13:30 AM »
Alice purrs constantly, including when she is eating (that's another story - she eats like a grabber, mouth wide open, down & close  :evillaugh: ) but her tail is also constantly flicking & waving - mixed signals? - she isn't showing any aggression although she doesn't like being picked up - she just gently tries to get down. She has only nibbled my finger twice and that was when she was on a catnip high  :evillaugh: . Can it just mean she is still unsure or excited or does it always mean annoyed?

Link to CatChat