Author Topic: G'day from a New Zealand Ailurophile!  (Read 4957 times)

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
Re: G'day from a New Zealand Ailurophile!
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 21:19:08 PM »
Yeap it's been rather cold this year!  First time I managed to get sunburnt was Christmas day in Nelson where as I would have got the same result about October last year!

We have had our heatpump on in our appartment for the last few months still - much to Binx's delight!

www.thecatsclaws.com

A cat is there when you call him - that's if he doesn't have anything better to do.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 21:15:12 PM »
When we were in Queentown it was  :censored: freezing, end of the sking season and I had a terrible cough, cold and sore throat.
Then the air in franz josef was mighty damp by the glacier. We did did say back in Christchurch brrrrrrrr it's cold. They said are you kidding it's really warm tonight  :-:, we were freezing.   :)

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 21:09:26 PM »
Oh wow you must have been staying just above Warners - a really nice garden bar  ;D

I would walk across that photo every day for about a year, morning and night to get from home to work and vice versa hehe.
www.thecatsclaws.com

A cat is there when you call him - that's if he doesn't have anything better to do.

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 21:07:49 PM »
Wow it's a really small world eh!

Christchurch is a lovely city, I absolutely love living there - been there for 4 years now  ;D

Queenstown is where me and my partner minus Binx will be going for New Years - it should be good!  Dunedin is the student town, a nice place, but too hilly and freezing for me!  Never been to Franz Josef but would love to do a tiki tour over there one day :)

If it was actually summer over here at the moment (it's acting like winter at the moment) I'd try and get a couple nice pictures of the scenery but will have to wait til next year I think!
www.thecatsclaws.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 21:02:50 PM »
Here you go. Taken from our hotel room.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 20:56:46 PM »
OMG what a teeny weeny world it is. That is where we started off. in Christchurch - duneeden (sorry wrong spelling) - Queenstown, frans Joseph, then on the trans alpine train back to Christchurch.  Love Chrsitchurch it is lovely - we were right in the middle of the town by the cathederal.

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 20:40:52 PM »
Hi and  :thanks: for welcoming me :-)

I'm originally from Nelson - born and bred which is where Flux and Binx were born also.  Binx now lives with me down in Christchurch (both cities are in the South Island)  Christchurch is where Binx contracted Asthma - it's a lot colder, polluted and a heap more feral cats down there.

I'm currently in Nelson at the moment for the Christmas holidays :-)  Binx has travelled up with me to see his mum, Flux (she lives in Nelson with my parents)  He travels really well - sleeps most of the 5 hours in the car, and when he gets here, he acts like king of the castle - roaming round the house like he never left and loves the outdoors here as mum and dad have a gorgeous garden for him to go exploring in complete with a little fish pond for him to sit and ponder his thoughts.  So cute  :Luv:

I'm trying to convince my partner at the moment to adopt a kitten or cat for Binx as company and another companion for us - and don't forget saving a life from the spca! Binx is super friendly and I feel bad leaving him at home by his lonesum all day when we go to work, so I think he will appreciate a friend and that way I'll get another snuggly bed companion!

Anyways I must go - I could talk about cats all day!  But being the holidays, I must get my a into g!

Talk soon, take care and meow!
Jess & Binx

www.thecatsclaws.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 20:15:35 PM »
Hello there
Where about in NZ are you?  - I went to South island for my hols this year. we spent a week on a tour, then traveled back to OZ for a few days before coming back  to the Uk.

Welcome to Purrs.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 18:17:58 PM »
Hello, love your cat pictures they are gorgeous. :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 18:01:46 PM »
Welcome to Purrs - can't wait to hear more about what cats and cat rescue is like over there. And what gorgeous kitties.
Please spay your cat

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 06:32:46 AM »
Thanks ;D I think Binx is very handsome too, I'm very lucky to have him!  Would you believe he has Ashtma!?!  Poor kitty, he's been through the works in his wee life, he's stuck to a special diet of low PH cat food as he got crystals in his urine a while back!  Proud to say he's all nice and healthy now - a very happy kitty indeed!

Beautiful part of the world???  *looks outside* torrential rain, snow apparently down to 500 metres tonight - and this is SUPPOSED TO BE SUMMER!!!!!!  lol.  Na it is pretty nice here - only problem is that I haven't been outside NZ to see how different it is out there!

It's quite crazy when ya look at it that way aye.... if animals had any say in the matter, I'm supprised humans weren't confined to certain parts of the world because of their destruction etc!

I still feel lucky that Binx still chooses to live with me and my OH - I don't know what I'd do without him :)

Wow a 'feral cat shoot'!  That's awful! That's bad, cuz what if they accidently shot someones beloved pet???  Yeah I bet you got a shock!
www.thecatsclaws.com

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 23:52:13 PM »
Binx is a stunner Jess, a real handsome chappie, look forward to more piccies and stories from NZ, you're so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world. ........and as for those people who complain about the noise from ferals at night, they should try spending a few nights here in Manchester  :rofl:  people on thier way home from the pub at 3 and 4 in the morning, screeching tyres from joyriders, police sirens, humans are soooooo much more noisy, surprised all the ferals haven't put in a complaint to the council about all the noise polution from people  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »
NZ sounds like it has similar views to the UK then .... which is OK but could be better.  The ones that do care really care and the rest just enjoy having a moan!  :rofl:  I remember when I was in Aus I saw an ad in the local newspaper for a "feral cat shoot"!!!!!  :'(  You can imagine my horror at such a thing.  I understand they are trying to protect their native wildlife and a I realise that cats are very good preditors but it was still a shock.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 08:01:35 AM »
Hey!

Auzzies eh!  I'm not totally to sure of their views, but over here in NZ domesticated cats are highly thought of!  Alot goes into care and there are heaps of cat lovers out there, but like in any country you have your 'black sheep' of the flock! 

Strays and Ferals are getting a bad rap over here in the big cities ie Christchurch, a lot of people complain about the noise at night, and the influx of kittens due to cats, domesticated or strays or ferals, not being neutered is making it very hard.  The oldies are complaining that cats should be house bound as they are using their gardens as toilets by ripping up there flowerbeds.... HOW RUDE!  Another reason why I have started to keep Binx indoors, I just can't trust what some people might do to him out there.....

Unfortunately the government over here doesn't help the SPCA's out over here, so they rely soley on donations and volunteers, hence myself helping out :) 

So um yeah, after writing that I guess NZ has pretty bad views on cats in general.  I think it's just because there needs to be some more regulations and controls (and making it cheaper) to spay and neuter pets, but then only to a certain limit as one day we might not be able to have any kittens in the future!  Silly thought I know :P

We aren't all bad though, there are a LOT of cat lovers here :)

Anyways that's enough of my ramblings, I could get into it more but I'm afraid I'd bore you all!

PS. The weather aint that great over here at the moment!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:05:19 AM by thecatsclaws »
www.thecatsclaws.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 00:25:45 AM »
G'day, great to have you aboard  ;D

I guess you are having lunch now and I will be off to bed in a couple of hours being that I a night owl.

Great to have someone from NZ here and look forward to hearing about the cats over there.

Just dont mention any good weather though  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 19:04:28 PM »
ooooh Jess Binx is Gorgeous.

Just out of curiosity how are cats viewed in NZ ... do Kiwi's have the same views as Aussies ... that cats are a pain and  not thought of very highly or are you guys a bit more tolerant? 

Before you all jump on my back I know NOT ALL Aussies have this view but as a "generalisation" I know that cats, especially ferals and strays, get a really bum deal down under.

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:08:06 AM »
Thanks guys!

You guys are great!  And yes unlucky for me we are 12 hours ahead over there so work comes sooner, but fortunately in a way Christmas comes round that bit quicker!  The weather here has been miserable!  I'm still waiting for summer to actually arrive....... :'(
Stoked to say that I've got my kitties their xmas presents, Binx managed to get his early but have got him something else for the day!
It's great to finally meet a friendly forum too!  There are so many out there that just don't really "do it" for me!
I'll see if I can get a couple of pics up... Binx is there in my avatar or my profile pic, he's a great kitty. :)
I'm planning on taking my camera to the RSPCA (Royal NZ Society for the Prevention of the Cruelty to Animals) next time I get to go along to take a couple snaps of some gorgeous kitties I have gotten to know at the shelter.  Hopefully get some other NZ peeps interested in getting involved in caring for some of NZ's neglected.
First two pics are of Binx, the third one is of Flux; Binx's mum.  She lives in Nelson with my parents.  Binx is lucky that the catteries are full this year, so he gets to see his mum for Christmas!
Thanks guys, look forward to catching up with you heaps!

Take care and Meow!
Jess & Binx.

www.thecatsclaws.com

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 22:05:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :)  Loads of pics please :) :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 20:37:05 PM »
G'day how's it going?

Have to agree with you about this forum being great .... everyone on here is incredibly friendly and like Tan says we love meeting peeps from oversees.  I suppose you guys are basking in sunshine and loveliness at the moment unlike us inthe UK who are shivering away and rugging up for the winter.

Looking forward to chatting with you and seeing pics of your furbabes.

All the best

Sam :)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 12:31:12 PM »
Hiya Jess a warm  :welcome 2: to Purrs. Lovely to have you with us.  :)

I Binx sounds adorable. ;D. We love drooling over furkids pics  :drool; and love to hear more about him.

It's great to have peeps from over the seas, hearing about cats and having friends in other countries .

Oooo it's like e pen pals  ;D :clap:

If ya need any help getting around Purrs, just Holla
xx

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »
Hi Jess  :welcome:
I think you are about 12 hours ahead of us so I should be saying good evening, I'm still in my PJ's with my Sunday morning head on and a wake me up cup of coffee, that is how addictive this site is  :evillaugh:
Look forward to seeing photo's of Binx, he/she sounds gorgeous, and to hearing all about the rescues and kitties in New Zealand
 :Luv:

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
G'day from a New Zealand Ailurophile!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:55:47 AM »
Hey guys!
I'd like to say that this forum is pretty awesome and having a lot of fun reading it!  I'd like to thank you all for welcoming me  :)
I've got a gorgeous long haired tabby cat, Binx, who is just adorable!  I've been an Ailurophile for over 24 years now and just can't get enough!  I've been told I'm allowed no more cats at home, so I have resorted to helping out at the SPCA which I find heaps of fun and so rewarding!
Anyways I can't wait to get to meet some of you guys!
Take care and meow!
Jess.
www.thecatsclaws.com

Link to CatChat