Author Topic: Please help support Our Auction - Here's Eight Lives left Rescue's Story  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Please help support Our Auction - Here's Eight Lives left Rescue's Story
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 21:49:48 PM »
Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue - A Brief History (well maybe not so brief)  ;)  :evillaugh:

Due to the amazing gift of the Purrs Auction money coming my way this year, I thought it only right that I should write some words about what started me on this cat rescue work and the stories of some of the residents here.

I managed to get a job in the Office of a Veterinary Hospital in 2001, for me, who had opted out of all sciences at secondary school and so given up every hope of ever working with animals, a dream job.  At every opportunity I would find an excuse to have to go to the animal wards, just so I could see all the in-patients and so became a friend of many of the nurses quite quickly.

I joined in the March and in May a little cat was brought in who had been found hanging around a house that already had a cat and could not keep her in the area.  She was very sore from a flea allergy and the chap who bought her in basically just wanted someone to take her off his hands. 

So Kaycee came to live with us and became the first of many re-homed cats to join
our existing cats Nicadeamus and Molly, including Red, Jenny, Lucy, Weeble, Shyla, and just recently Hershe.

My first hand reared kitten also came from my days at the Vets.  It was a Saturday so I was working on Reception.  One of our farm clients came in with five very small kittens she had found inside an upturned tractor tyre on the farm.  They were very cold and, unfortunately, one died in the Consulting room.  We gave her Cimicat and syringes and the best advice we could.  She explained that she was due to go to Canada in a couple of days and so I said if she needed someone to look after them whilst she was away to give me a call.  When she called me the following Tuesday there were only two left but I said I would take them and do my best.  Unfortunately, my first experiences of kitten rearing was painful and the weakest one died overnight.  :'(

Baz at six weeks of age.

BUT  Baz is still here today, six years later.  I probably didn’t do him any favours naming him after Barry Sheene, as it was found he had a luxating patella and he had to have surgery and pins placed in his leg, so he ended up with as much muscle in his body as his namesake.

After Baz, there came Smartie, a little Tortie spitfire, and Elvis who was born with his back legs on backwards.  After careful physio from myself and a Vet Nurse, Sharon (we hand reared him together, taking turns in taking him home) his legs turned and he now lives happily here, the only deformity now being that he cannot jump very well.

After Elvis came Forest Gump Hillbilly Munchkin, a very special cat.

He was found on Southsea Common, dehydrated and near death and I was told to go and see him in the Cat Ward.  The Nurses gave me the usual story “If you don’t take him Lesley, he will go to the RSPCA and they will put him to sleep”.  He was a sorry state.  Very short front legs, normal back legs but very narrow pelvis, deformed mouth and very stiff when walking.  At first, we did not think he could walk well at all, but once home (yes, their pleading worked as always) and on Metacam for stiffness he became surprisingly agile and when he decides to have a mad five minutes he can really run, hence his name “run Forest run”.  Due to his narrow pelvis he has to have prescription food and regular katalax etc otherwise he gets blocked and then it’s whoever has the smallest fingers at the Hospital!!

The next kitten to come into the household was Georgie, my heartbreaker.  She was found outside a PDSA clinic at approximately two weeks of age  with a littermate, who unfortunately passed away the same day they were found.  It was thought that Georgie had been kicked in the face and her eye was severely damaged, leaving her blind on one side.  We spent six precious weeks together, both fighting her infection and looking like we were winning but, unfortunately, the infection finally spread and I had to let my baby go.  I said to everyone then that I would not raise any more kittens, it was too distressing.  :'(

So, a couple of months later when I was called into a Consulting Room to look at two feral kittens that had been brought in, I was determined to say no.  but when I looked in the box there were two tabby kittens, like Georgie, and one had a really sore looking eye, just like Georgie.  That evening, they were ensconced in our spare room, in total isolation due to feline cowpox virus and I had to try and treat two feral kittens for the next four weeks with creams and antibiotics in full isolation overalls and gloves.  Not the easiest way to tame kittens!!  And that was the birth of Eight Lives Left Kitten and Cat Rescue, with Georgie’s picture used as the mascot on all my paperwork.

At the age of 12 weeks they had recovered miraculously, their fur was growing where once there had been sores and even George’s eye was looking better though he would be scarred for life.  Off they went for first vaccinations and before the Vet even put a stethoscope to George’s chest she told me he had the biggest heart murmur – she could feel it let alone hear it.  Off to the Cardiologist where he was diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot.  It was such a shame as he had been found a home with his brother but instead brother Armani went to the new home and happily lives with three other cats, while George remains here, not too well lately but being pampered for the remainder of his days, however few there may be.

George when he came to me.

George with his best buddy Forest Gump Hillbilly Munchkin

Since George came, there have been many kittens raised and re-homed, approximately 160 to date.  It may not sound a lot in the large scale of things but seeing as Eight Lives Left Kitten and Cat Rescue is really only in it’s third year, and really is a one woman band, I am proud of our numbers.  Most make it to new homes but some, due to medical conditions end up staying or some are just so nervous that when people come to see them, they never do (see them that is) – they live behind the sofas when we have visitors so nobody believes us when we say there are 27 cats in the house.

So that tells you a little but about me and the cats.  For those not mentioned above that are permanent residents, their pictures are below.

Aerial

Felix (left) and DD (I wonder who she is named after) ;)

This could be Gin or it could be Tonic – they are identical and very elusive.

HRH Olivia – found wandering the streets!

Typical sleeping arrangements.

And finally, the story would not be complete without an update on Tarka, my runny bum kitten.

Tarka is doing okay, he still can’t eat anything but W/D and is on peridale granules and Protexin soluble daily.  I did try him with a little dry food but he just got a dirty bum again so back to W/D.  He is such a wonderful little kitten and when I let him out of the crate he rides around on my shoulder like a parrot purring so loudly in my ear.

Hopefully, one day he will be able to live a normal life but until then I will do my best to make him as happy and contented as I can, and as Smudge and DD are here.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT. :Luv:

COME AND SEE US ANYTIME.

A note from Tan - I just wanted to add that i have personally been to Lesley's rescue to adopt my wonderful Marl. Lesley is fantastic and she is sooo dedicated, caring and such a warm hearted woman. She loves the cats so much and does all she can.  I am very very pround to know her and support her in all she does.  :Luv: :Luv:

Please support our Auction as every penny we make will go to more cats in Lesley's wonderful care.  If you have anytjhing that can be posted to go in the auction, we would love to have your item be it dvd's, games, cat or non cat related. Everyone can join in either by bidding on items or by popping an item up for auction.

Please help us to help Les help the poor little babes find love they so deserve.  :thanks:

Link to CatChat