Author Topic: Lexy ligament injury - Surgery x 3 - Success!!!  (Read 83756 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Lexy ligament injury
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »
Ruth, tip to pill cat - armchair is invaluable.  ;)

:thanks: Witty. However, armchair is tried and tested ;) and results in failure.

We're just taking it one day at a time. Just waiting on call from vet in the meantime to discuss next steps.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 23:08:07 PM »
Awh, poor Lexy. Healing huggles from Auntie Witty.

Ruth, tip to pill cat - armchair is invaluable.  ;)

Put cat with bum jammed in the corner so no tactical retreat is possible - the armchair controls the back end of cat so you only need to control the front end.

Grip just behind the whisker pads with finger and thumb of the hand you don't write with (dunno if you're left or right-handed)  so that the palm of your hand goes over the top of the face and have pill ready in other hand between finger and thumb. Pull head back gently but firmly so that nose is pointing towards ceiling. With free finger of pill hand, ease mouth open and quickly shove pill in right to the back of the mouth. Close mouth just as quickly to avoid spittage.

That works with Toby and he's a 'mare to get his arthritis pill into the system. (Mind, it's a rather larger pill and he can spit them several feet...)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 22:59:05 PM »
Aw hun, sending you a  :hug: as it sounds like you need one.

Have you tried Deferrum treats?  Max was hard to fool with pills, but they worked every time with him, and he need tablets every day for a good while?

xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 20:20:06 PM »
Aw Kitty, what an awful time your having and your sounding really stressed out.... Its awful knowing they need the bloomin meds but cant get them to take them...... I do hope you can get something sorted for her to take them!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 20:17:39 PM »
 :thanks:

Unfortunately I have spent the last hour trying to get the pill into her. I can't do this on my own  :(  There is no way to hold her, even in a towel and try to do this, I hurt her mouth as I tried, she yelped and then we spent a few games of me trying to trick her.

I am down two prawns, one of them so painstainkingly eaten AROUND the bloomin pill. She even licked the pill to clean the prawn juice off  :-: and now we have tablet slathered in Primula as a next step. It has been ignored.

I just bought a pill gun and some pill pocket treats from RWC veterinary. I've left a message for Caroline admitting defeat. I need to get these things into Lexy but I just cannot do this on my own. I just can't.  And she's still limping. And ignoring me and growling at me.

Oh, and Lexy has just gone to the litter tray, naturally, of all day, today is the day she gets a dangly thing and has toddled down the corridor leaving me a skid mark to clean up  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 19:12:20 PM »
sending lots of good wishes and hope that lexy takes her pills without skinning you alive  :hug: :hug:

i know lexy has a history of knee probs but locjka slipped on a floor back in london and was limping bad but it turned out just to be strain....so fingers crossed for lexy

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 18:44:34 PM »
the anti-biotics are working as are the anti-inflamatories. She's walking better (ie her back isn't hunched) but still limping noticeably.

I hope that the medication carries on effecting an improvement  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's so hard when you can't just explain to them why they should take pills etc, isn't it?  :(
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 17:32:00 PM »
Well, my friends, I have no idea.

Madam is still wobbling but the anti-biotics are working as are the anti-inflamatories. She's walking better (ie her back isn't hunched) but still limping noticeably.

For now I have to see how she's doing. That being said I spent a bit of time this morning watching videos of how to give a cat a pill because clearly my methods don't work. Lexy didn't take her anti-biotic this morning but she did take a good bit of skin off my belly and my hands (my belly... when she launched herself off me!).   :doh:

So I have to toughen up a bit but I can guarantee you that madam is not an easy cat to pill...so much so Caroline prefers giving her meds via injection!

Now that's saying something.

We will see. For now I just need her to show an improvement and we can then assess her knee and see if there is any damage there.

So pls keep your fingers crossed for us. I want my baby to get better quick  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 16:48:05 PM »
Sending lots more healing vibes Lexy's way hun  :hug:  :Luv2: hope she's doing better again today x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 16:38:28 PM »
How does Lexy seem today Kitty? I do hope there's some improvement!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 20:56:13 PM »
Hope that the meds help her and things heal nicely  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 20:49:15 PM »
Poor Lexy and hope its her toe that has compounded the aother areas and once better everything will return to normal  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can imagine how you are being ignored and Sasa does a fair bit of that too  :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 20:45:13 PM »
Thanks, mate. I appreciate the vibes and wishes. Really need Lexy to be ok.

Lexy (HRH)

:evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 20:43:57 PM »
Aw bless her for I bet that was a lot of examining her painfull places!  :hug: I really hope it is all caused by her toe and only through that affected her knee... Its good to know that the knee is still in its socket!  :phew:

Positive healing vibes for the gorgeous Lexy (HRH) hope the meds act quickly on her, Im sure once she feels better she will forgive you!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 20:38:04 PM »
Ok's here is the update.

Poor Caroline had a mare of a day. Her car broke down so our 5:30 had to be pushed back. Thankfully, she was able to get a cab out, but the poor woman was frazzled. Her car is her business lifeline so she's going to have a tough couple days whilst it gets fixed.

So, it seems that upon examination it could be Lexy's knee. It is swollen but upon further examination it looks like one of Lexy's toes is also inflamed. Her claw appears to have an infection. During her run around her claw may have caught on carpet, tugged and pulled her knee tendons. So the toe is sore, as touching it resulted in me nearly losing an eye  :-:

So for now our challenge is to see if the toe is the cause of the limping and the knee inflamation is a result of that, or if the toe works out fine but the knee remains inflamed then we need to go the next step and see if it's loose. The knee is in the socket so she didn't dislocate it.

Lexy is now the proud host of various injections of anti-inflamatories (Metacam injection for 24 hours), an antibiotic for her toe and a pain killer. I have to give her a course of medication from tomorrow.

I am being ignored studiously, I am the devil incarnate and cannot be trusted or loved.  :-: :shify:

That being said, as it's a warm night I don't need to provide the snuggle safe but I will cetainly be providing some love later, whether madam likes it or not!  ;)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
Lots of vibes for the vet visit for you both

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
You said it. Seriously, it sounded like a herd of baby elephants. It woke me up. Rarely has it since I got used to it, but then again, Lexy hasn't had a fit of the "chase the invisible mice" for a long time. I was quite happy to hear her, reminded me of the good old days  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »
Lets hope it's just  case of Lexy forgetting that she isn't a kitten any more (we have all been there  :shy::hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »
Fingers crossed for a positive vet visit tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:39:14 AM »
 :thanks:

We had a bit of a play session last night, only a couple minutes but Lexy decided she wasn't in the mood for bed. So she lay on her side and attacked the laser  :evillaugh:

I put her to bed with her snugglesafe hidden under her blankie and she snored the night away. This morning at 5am I hear this little purr and there is madam on my bed  :Crazy: looking at me saying.. fud pleez  :shify:  :evillaugh: If Lexy can guarantee one thing is that her tummy always comes first!

I really hope its just a minor injury and that she's not hiding anything behind that purr and snore.  :wish:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 01:06:06 AM »
Positive healing vibes being sent to darling Lexy~~~~~Best of luck with the vet visiting!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 20:22:56 PM »
awwww, sending lots of love and healing leg vibes to Lexy  :Luv2:  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 19:59:33 PM »
From what you have just said it sounds like she will be back to her normal self in a couple of days  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 19:23:02 PM »
 :thanks: everyone. I got home today and she was scadoodling down the stairs to greet me  :Luv: limping, but still!

And then she went up one step (obviously the weight on back legs is much more when going up than down) and then looked at me as if to say "what now mum?!". So I picked her up gently and took her to her basket. Have since fed her, and put her snuggle safe, nice and warm, into her basket for her.

As of now, madam has gone to litter tray and has gone to check out the rest of the chicken I gave her. The fact that she's willing to move and not just lay like a lump is encouraging to me. Her willpower is amazing  :Luv:

I will dispense hugs and love as soon as Lexy lets me.

As for surgery, well  :tired: I changed insurance as the likelihood of Lexy slipping a kneecap again were very slim and my old insurance was just no good... now this. So if its considered recurring I am (bloopered) since her surgeries were a tad 'spensive!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 18:56:28 PM »
Ooooo Lexy you silly girl ....hope it feels better soon xxxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 18:36:13 PM »
Sending :get well: vibes to Lexy :care:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 18:10:58 PM »
They will career about so  :tired:  I too hope it's just a temporary thing  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 17:19:21 PM »
Ruth hope Lexy soon recovers,give her gentle cuddle from me. :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 17:06:10 PM »
I hope its just rest and it will get better jobbie and no more ops needed, get well soon Queen Lexy  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 16:45:35 PM »
Poor Lexy, best of luck tomorrow and everything crossed her leg will be ok xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Lexy ligament injury - Surgery x 3 - Success!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 16:43:17 PM »
It appears this extra boost Lexy has had in confidence was maybe a bit too much. Early hours of the morning she was zooming up and down the house. Morning time found found limping and she can just put weight on her back leg but favours it a lot.

Vet will be round tomorrow night to see her, as she's comfortable and there is no need to stress her with a carrier and possibly cause more damage as she's not keen to be kept confined. 

After her surgery 3 years ago some scar tissue formed over the ligaments and made them a bit stiff so vet thinks that her confidence in her new "the world is my queendom" freedom was a bit too much and possibly damaged the ligaments instead. She doesn't believe it to be a knee dislocation like three years ago.

So for now she's comfortable, eating and drinking and moving around when she wants to, but we might have another surgery down the line which I am not pleased about. In 3 years, 4 surgeries  :tired:  And :omg: what a drama those were!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:24:07 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Link to CatChat